• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tourne

NeroW

I do this quite a bit at home. I know it's old fashioned, but I love the way tuned veggies look in a Navarin of Lamb or an Irish stew. I find the bird's beak knife essential for turning, I wouldn't attempt it without one. I don't worry too much about the seven sides though as no tutor or head chef is going to kick my butt if I get it wrong.

After toiling away in the buffet world for two years I have no interest in swans carved out of watermelons, eyes pinned to their faces with black olives, tails fastened with cloves. That the kind of "sexy" fruit plate I was referencing. Now, a nice plate of perfectly ripe fruit no matter what it may be will always replace a tongue to my ear.

Really Nice, Hanon "composed" finger-dexterity exercises for the piano.  The name of the Hanon book I trained from is "The Virtuoso Pianist."

Nero, m'Dear:

I had managed to expunge Hanon from my memory...and now, it's flooding back in all its horror. Mme. Dumoulin, my piano teacher, was a Hanon true believer. You owe me a beer for this one!

Good work, my Valkyrie culinary student. You'll be telling your grandchild:

"Yes, little Thor, back in the old days we tourneed with a knife! !"

(Compost Activists Rule!)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Now, a nice plate of perfectly ripe fruit no matter what it may be will always replace a tongue to my ear.

:huh:

I don't get it either. But I'm damned if I'll ever let him near my fruit basket. :biggrin:

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

I get really, really, seduced by a good meal. Of course, there's nothing like the soft skin of a woman, the scent, the electricity...but food activates many of the same receptors for me. That's why I'm so passionate about it, why I rant and complain like an attention starved teenager when people act like they're more interested in the peripheral concerns like presentation, atmosphere, and snob appeal. Eating high quality food while in the company of a beautiful woman is the ultimate form of Dionysian pleasure for me. I'm a Scorpio through and through. Bring me Dwan and a fat leg of lamb.

Edited by Chef/Writer Spencer (log)

I'd rather sit down with a nice plate of fruit than be seduced by a siren...

Well, who wouldn't?

EDIT to say: and who are you calling a siren, loudmouth? :raz:

Edited by NeroW (log)

Noise is music. All else is food.

Tourne competency rapidly approaching . . . much late-night semi-drunken cursing and throwing bits of potato off balcony . . . but if I do say so myself, I'm getting better. I have 2 more lbs. of potatoes to work through tomorrow, then I'm offering it up to God.

Tourne competency rapidly approaching . . . much late-night semi-drunken cursing and throwing bits of potato off balcony . . . but if I do say so myself, I'm getting better.  I have 2 more lbs. of potatoes to work through tomorrow, then I'm offering it up to God.

I hereby sprinkle competency fairy-dust on your knife hand. Any other cuts, or just the tourne?

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Tourne competency rapidly approaching . . . much late-night semi-drunken cursing and throwing bits of potato off balcony . . . but if I do say so myself, I'm getting better.  I have 2 more lbs. of potatoes to work through tomorrow, then I'm offering it up to God.

I hereby sprinkle competency fairy-dust on your knife hand. Any other cuts, or just the tourne?

Thank you. My Chef sprinkled fairy dust on me in Friday's class . . . if by "fairy dust" you mean "a handful of flour."

We've already done the competencies on our other cuts. He's put away the ruler. He was kind, though, and saved the tourne for the end of the semester. :wacko:

:biggrin:

More power to you all; I can get the football shape with my paring knife, but not in any stinkin' seven sides. More like 22 by the time I get a semi-respectable (and embarrassingly small) shape!

Awhile back on one of the Cooking with Claudine TV episodes, I did see Pepin demonstrate the cut on some cucumbers, which were cooked to go with salmon. Also saw him do the same on one of the Julia's Kitchen episodes -- when Pepin had finished his own faultless example, Julia Child looked at her own lopsided attempt and promptly ate it.

I should probably practice more.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Also saw him do the same on one of the Julia's Kitchen episodes -- when Pepin had finished his own faultless example, Julia Child looked at her own lopsided attempt and promptly ate it.

I love her.

Some chef was probably upset at his commis and told him to waste his entire day carving footballs out of beets. Thus the tourne was born.

I believe if one is going to do something (like a tourne), then go all the way!

Dodecahedron of coffee flavored ice cubes anyone?

Edited by inventolux (log)

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

Good news:

8 out of 10 on the appearance of my cuts.

Way to go, Nero. I'll bet nobody (or hardly anyone) got a 10 out of 10.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Good news:

Congratulations.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Good news:

Way to go, Nero. I'll bet nobody (or hardly anyone) got a 10 out of 10.

Actually, no one did. Most of us got 8's.

I think our Chef just writes numbers down, randomly.

He did say I was doing better. Good enough for me.

Thanks everyone for your tips and virtual support. :wub: