• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

englewood area continental, amer. or chinese

ALANBF

Not Chinese but Vietnamese -- If you can get into Saigon Republic, its a nice intimate little place but it gets packed, so call ahead for reservations in the afteroon, around lunchtime.

http://saigonrepublic.com

Not continental or american -- middle eastern -- another cute little place is Bennies, right across the street from Baumgarts.

Both of these places have been spoken of highly on eG and have gotten very positive restaurant reviews.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

A nice, casual, "after-the-movies" place is Moon Street, on Dean Street just north of Palisade Avenue. Cute decor, interesting but simple menu, even a burger if you like.

For something a little more serious, try Café Boulevard, on Abbott Blvd in Fort Lee. Beautiful lighting, great background music going, and really interesting eclectic food.

For ethnic, I prefer Its Greek to Me to Bennies. About 33% less expensive, and a nicer decor, looks like a real Greek Taverna. In the center of town on Palisade Avenue.

All 3 of these places should have a relatively moderate noise level.

Edited by menton1 (log)

Menton -- greek to me's food is totally different than bennies.... one is Lebanese and the other is Greek. and I wouldnt say their decor is better... its white stucco walls with blue highlights like all of the other locations? Bennies at least has a unique fresco on its wall. Greek To Me can also get awfully busy and very difficult to get into.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Menton -- greek to me's food is totally different than bennies.... one is Lebanese and the other is Greek. and I wouldnt say their decor is better... its white stucco walls with blue highlights like all of the other locations? Bennies at least has a unique fresco on its wall. Greek To Me can also get awfully busy and very difficult to get into.

I guess I'm just a fan of IGTM, it really looks and feels authentic inside. All of these IGTMs have different owners, they are franchised, and IGTM Englewood is the only one I like. I have found that, even if there is a wait on weekends, it usually is never more than 10 minutes.

As far as Baumgarts, we have discussed it before, and IMHO it tries to be all 3 of those things, yes, but succeeds at none of them. It is a bit seedy, and highly overpriced. Go there for an ice cream cone after having dinner somewhere else.

Edited by menton1 (log)