• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2003 Farmer's Market Schedule

Please post updates.

SUNDAY

Flemington 1 -6 PM 6/22 to 10/26; Liberty Village Shopping Center

Morristown: 9 AM-2 PM; 6/22 to 10/26; Dumont Place parking lot.

Red Bank: 9 AM-2 PM; 7/13 to 10/26; Galleria parking lot West Front St and Shrewsbury Ave.

Ridgewood: 9 AM-3 PM; 6/29 to 10/3; NJ Transit train station, west side parking lot.

Summit: 8:30 AN –1:30 PM; 6/15 to 11/2; Park and Shop lot #2, Maple St and DeForest Ave.

MONDAY

Maplewood: 2:30-7:30 PM 7/7 to 10/27;Indiana St parking lot, Springfield Ave.

Newark community: 10:30 AM-4 PM; June to October; 555 Martin Luther King Blvd.

TUESDAY

East Orange: 10 AM-5 PM; June to October; 192 Halsted St, lot 2D.

Elizabeth: 11 AM to 6 PM; July to November; Elizabeth Ave in Historic Peterstown

Hasbrouck Heights: noon to 6 PM; 6/17 to 9/3; Boulevard at Washington Pl.

Hoboken: 3-7:30 PM; 6/24 to 10/28; Newark St between River and Hudson.

Jersey City-Harvest Square: Dates to be announced; St. Patrick’s church, Bramhall & Ocean Ave.

WEDNESDAY

Jersey City-Journal Square: 11 Am-7 PM; Date to be announced; Journal Square fountain plaza.

Newark Urban League: 10 AM-4 PM July to October; 508 Central Ave.

Roselle Park: 1-6 PM; 7/2 to 10/29; Chestnut St and E. Grant Ave.

South Orange: 2:30-7 PM; June to October; NJ Transit parking lot, Sloan St. & W South Orange Ave.

THURSDAY

Bloomfield: 1-7 PM, Lackawanna Plaza across from the Bloomfield train station.

Jersey City: afternoon; waterfront

Livingston: noon to 6 PM; 7/3 to 10/30; Firehouse commons, rear parking lot, 45 S Livingston Ave.

Madison: 2-7 PM; 7/3 to 10/30; Madison High School, Ridgedale Ave; and Community Pool, Rosedale Ave.

Montgomery Township: 2 to 7 PM; June to October; Princeton North Shopping Center

Nyack, NY: 9 AM-2 PM, Main and Cedar Streets

River Vale: 1-6PM, Mark Lane Recreational Field, Piermont Ave.

Teaneck: 2-7PM, Cedar Lane and Chestnut Street.

Westfield: 2-7PM; 7/3 to 10/30; NJ Transit station, South Ave lot.

FRIDAY

Englewood: 1-7 PM; July to October; Veterans’ Memorial Park, North Van Brunt St. & Demarest

Highland Park: 11AM-6 PM; June to November; Raritan Ave. between 2nd and 3rd Ave.

Millburn: 8 AM-2 PM; June to November; Essex and Main St.

West Orange: noon-6 PM; July to October; CVS parking lot, 217 Main St.

SATURDAY

Bernardsville: 9 AM-2 PM; 6/21 to 10/18; NJ Transit station, Rt 202 & Claremont Rd.

Bound Brook: 9 AM -2 PM; June 21 to October; East Main St commuter parking lot

Fair Lawn: 9 AM-2 PM, at the Radburn RR Station

Metuchen: 9 AM-2 PM; 7/5 to 9/27; Central & Middlesex Ave. Stop & Shop parking lot.

Montclair: 8:30AM -2:30 PM; beginning July 14; Walnut St train station parking lot.

North Plainfield:10 AM-4 PM; July to October; Somerset St opposite borough hall.

Scotch Plains: 8 AM-2 PM; June to October; Municipal parking lot at Park Ave.

Edited to include member contributions below.

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Thank you Rosie!

Do you know which ones of the weekend markets are best?

I only get to the one in West Orange or Livingston but the have heard good things about the farmer's market in Millburn.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Here's an update on Northern NJ Farmers Markets. Most run July through October. These were not on the previous list:

RIVER VALE

Thursdays, 1-6, Mark Lane Recreational Field, Piermont Ave.

TEANECK

Thursdays, 2-7, Cedar Lane and Chestnut Street

FAIR LAWN

Saturdays, 9-2, at the Radburn RR Station

HASBROUCK HEIGHTS

Tuesdays, 12-6, Washington Place and Boulevard

NYACK, NY (Just over the border) (Excellent Market!)

Thursdays, 9-2, Main and Cedar Streets

Can't wait for those great melons and peaches!!

How could you forget the fabulous Trenton Farmers Market?!?!?

Truly one of the best Farmers Market experiences in the country!

900 Spruce St.

Trenton, NJ

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

• 4 weeks later...
Thursdays, 1-7, Lackawanna Plaza across from the Bloomfield train station.  I should be selling baked goods there.

Bloomfield, that would be.

breads, rolls, pastries?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

OH, it's a long story. A friend of mine works at a convent in West Caldwell, and has been thinking of going into the cookie business. I'm not working at the moment, and he asked me to be a part of it. Only wanting to do Christmas and Easter, I said 'No, not worth my time.' So after pestering him to scout out other businesses in the area who might carry the cookies, he found a couple of farmer's markets. The kitchen is huge, and Saturday or Sunday I'll be testing the ovens. NO equipment to speak of. Well, about half the oven racks we will be needing, and the other half can be just sheet pans. I'll go down to the Bowery tomorrow (will they be open?) or Saturday to see what they have available. I mean, there aren't even bowls or mixing spoons. I'm afraid to bring my own, as they always seem to disappear. We'll see. The kitchen will also have to be inspected, and I have no idea how that will go. All kitchens that I have been involved with have been in full swing when inspected, so I have no idea about starting fresh. Other than this, I have never REALLY sold my stuff. Well, LONG ago, but that doesn't count.

Money is also a question. What do the nuns get, and what do I take home? If anyone has any helpful information, feel free to contact me however you like! Plus, I hear they are willing to let me bake and sell my pies, so that's excellent. (Must get a name)!

Other than these things, I have to figure out all the fun stuff with design, packaging, distributers, and how much to charge for the goods. My friend seems to think that since a lot of seniors frequent the market, prices have to correspond. :blink: Must think on that.

Motherhouse Cookies, pecan pie (mine), maybe some quick breads and muffins. Bread if we can get some cheap stones. There is no bakery in the two surrounding towns so I hear. Yiii.

Does anyone know if the Friday Farmers Markets will be open tomorrow (July 4th)? I am specifically interested in the Highland Park location.

Also does anyone know per chance how the Highland Park, Metuchen, Scotch Plains and North Plainfield markets compare? They are all local for me.

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

I've edited Rosie's original list (first post above) to include member's input.

How could you forget the fabulous Trenton Farmers Market?!?!? Truly one of the best Farmers Market experiences in the country!

900 Spruce St., Trenton, NJ

What day of the week is it on?

"yesterday I googled farmer's markets and there are phone numbers for all the coordinators.  Maybe you could find out."

Thanks Elyse. That was a great idea!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Were they open??? :smile:

Errrrrrrrrr....well by the time I saw your suggestion it was too late. My friend and I had just gotten home from a *very* filling lunch (I won't say where - I don't want to duck jeers and rotten tomatoes :raz: ) and was only in the mood, at that point, to rest and digest!

We are planning to hit Metuchen tomorrow - I'll report back on that one.

Randi

BE PROUD OF WHAT YOU EAT IF YOU ENJOY IT!!!

Actually...what I had was DELICIOUS - I had tex mex eggrolls and chicken madeira - the eggrolls were tasty and just the right amount of spicy. The chicken - really awesome. Two nice sized boneless breasts perfectly cooked, moist and tender inside and delicately crispy outside. Melted mozzarella cheese and 5 bright green, pencil thin aspargus topped the breasts. Huge mushrooms, yummy sauce and bits of carmelized onions surrounded them.

And don't forget the mountain of mashed potatoes - with lumps! - the way I like them.

Oh...and we got right in...no waiting...at....*GASP* the Cheesecake Factory. :rolleyes:

Hey - I LIKE it! :raz:

Randi

Hmmm...went to the Metuchen Farmer's market today and it was pretty sad :sad: Maybe 2 vendors there...mostly selling plants. One did have a few small baskets of squash or something (we didn't even bother to get out of the car to look) and the other had lots of plants and what looked like a nice display of fresh herbs in little pots. Oh, and there was a vendor with a small table with some bread...nothing major. So 3 vendors all together. sigh.

Tried to find the Scotch Plains market but I think I was on the wrong Park Avenue. Will try again sometime.

Anyone else hit some today? are they all so small??

Randi