• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stinky Cheese Anyone?

A good Alsatian Muenster. Double Wrapped and in a plastic container, it still managed to stink up my fridge. But man was it good with some crusty bread and a Trimbach Riesling

oooooooooooh yeeeeeeeeeah!~~~~

we had that at macy*s GOD was that stuff GOOD...thanks for jarring the memory chip!~

• 10 months later...

I was once at a wine tasting where Morbier was served. You could see everyone eying their neighbor, wondering if the other person had forgotten the deodorant that morning. :laugh:

For some reason Raclette always seems the stinkiest to me It's delicious melted and served with thinly shaved dried beef and tiny boiled potatoes.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

We served Morbier in my restaurant for a while - people on the tables close to the pantry complained about the smell on a few occasions.

My favorite - St. Agur. We call it Queso de Pies in the kitchen.

If it ain't fried it ain't food!

I love the Wisconsin brick cheese which is difficult to find outside that state.

I order it from an online purveyor. The FexEx guy who delivers to my office has complained that it stinks up his truck and he alters his route to come to my office first so that it won't be in his truck duing the hottest part of the day.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Here is a note about brick cheese

http://www.ulster.net/~psycho/brick.html

(note they describe it as "slightly aromatic" that increases with age)

and the source

http://www.widmerscheese.com/catlist.cfm?passid=WV

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Cowgirl Creamery Osprey or Red Hawk....heaven.. I brought some home from SF last year much to the dismay of my fellow airline passengers it hit it's peak of ripeness somewhere over the middlepart of the country, but oh god was it worth it!!!

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

I would have to add as favorite Stinky Cheeses, a tie, Shropshire Blue and Humbolt Fogg.

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

Surprised noone has mentioned Maroilles which smells like something long ago dead but tastes delicious, and the Boulette d'Avesnes which smells AND tastes like something dead. The Boulette is aged on straw and washed with beer. Both from the North of France.

Humboldt Fog isn't really that stinky - just tastes as though it ought to be. I think I still have to put Stinking Bishop at the top of my list. Though I've just spent a couple of days absorbing a nicely fragrant hunk of St. Albray.... :wub:

EDIT to add: Taleggio Taleggio Taleggio Taleggio!

EDIT AGAIN to add: every once in a while I hear a rumor that someone preserved a little of the true Liederkranz culture from before the big fire, and has taken it to Australia, there to get it back into production.... It's too obscure to be an Urban Legend, thinks I, so though the years roll by and nothing happens I still can't help hoping against hope that it may be true....

Edited by balmagowry (log)

Humboldt Fog isn't really that stinky - just tastes as though it ought to be.

My standard for stinky may be off center a little. Stinky: Defn- any cheese that my wife finds to be offensive when found unsuspectedly in that little foil wrapper behind the gallon of milk. :biggrin:

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

• 1 month later...

Thought this would be an appropriate place to post on an incident with a stinky cheese. We had our three-year-old wedding cake in the fridge thawing, so we could try a piece and throw it out. Unfortunately, we had left the flowers on it originally, and they spoiled, even in the freezer. So the leftover smell from the flowers permeated the fridge. Or so we thought. It turned out that the rather pungent off aroma was coming from a wheel of Cowgirl Creamery Red Hawk. I bagged it, and this morning, the smell was much improved. My wife, not meaning to make a joke, said:

"Man, the fridge smells a lot better without the Red Hawk flyin' free!"

Walt

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

Raclette but i'm not sure if it's stinky enuff to qualify

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Once bought something called, "vieux Lille" in Paris. The only cheese I've ever had that was too strong for me.

from a website:

" La croûte se transforme peu à peu en champ de fermentation et se couvre d'une pellicule visqueuse, grise ou gris-rosée, responsable de la très forte odeur putride, caractéristique du fromage. "

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I think that's the most eerie, disgusting thing I've ever read about food. My French isn't that great, but a translation might be: "The crust is transformed little by little in the area of fermentation, and is covered with a viscous skin, grey or grey-pink, responsible for the very strong putrid odor, characteristic of the cheese." Wow, I feel a little queasy just writing that.

Walt

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA