• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stinky Cheese Anyone?

I love "stinky cheese"! My favorites are Livarot and Pont Levesque. I am looking to broadon my horizon and would like to see if anyone has suggestions. I prefer the soft triple creme styles. Chaumes is one I hadn't had for a while and I found quite tasty just the other night. Also, I used to get aged havarti and esrom when I lived in Montreal, Canada; but can't find any in the states. Does anyone have a hint for me.

Cheese Cheese Please

Well don't just stand there......get some glue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..... Also, I used to get aged havarti and esrom when I lived in Montreal, Canada; but can't find any in the states.  Does anyone have a hint for me.

I have seen esrom in Fairway, IIRC.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Taleggio.  Smells like old socks.  Tastes like heaven.

Heyheyhey. It's not stinky. Just talkative.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I love "stinky cheese"!  My favorites are Livarot and Pont Levesque.

I happen to have some Livarot in my fridge! :smile:

I also like Limburger.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Taleggio is a good one. I recently had a soft, somewhat creamy organic muenster, slightly salty and mildly stinky; really good. This is carried by a local health food store in nj. I have also seen it on mail order sites for cheeses.

Epoisses.  Gubbeen, from Ireland.

Thanks for all the great reminders and suggestions.....never had Gubbeen, but I will look for it...is it a soft cheese?

Love Epoisses....

Also if anyone's intersted, I can post the contact info for a fromagerie in Montreal that will send Unpasteurized Milk cheeses that are not available in the US.....They have amazing epoisses and Camenbert made with Raw Milk which is like night and day compared to the plastic they pawn off for cheese here in the U.S.

Stop the ban on raw milk cheese:

I know you can get raw milk cheese in the U.S., but it is limited to cheeses aged for no longer than 3 months I think.....when I was last in the Italian alps I had some 3 year old cheese that was almost black! Now that's some stinky cheese :raz:

I know you can get raw milk cheese in the U.S., but it is limited to cheeses aged for no longer than 3 months I think.....when I was last in the Italian alps I had some 3 year old cheese that was almost black!  Now that's some stinky cheese :raz:

It is the other way around:

Current US Law Regarding Pasteurization and Cheesemaking

Milk for cheesemaking must be pasteurized or the cheese held at 35 degrees F. for a minimum of 60 days before it can be sold. This applies to domestic or imported cheeses.

US Cheese Laws

I just finished a cheese seminar today--27 cheeses in 2 1/2 hours. I do relish a good "stinky" cheese, but 27 of them in such a short timespan is a bit much. A couple of people had to stop after about 12. They were looking a bit pekid.

I just finished a cheese seminar today--27 cheeses in 2 1/2 hours.  I do relish a good "stinky" cheese, but 27 of them in such a short timespan is a bit much.  A couple of people had to stop after about 12. They were looking a bit pekid.

Welcome Mise en Place!

I can understand how you/they felt. The first thing I wrote in my culinary school notes after tasting and analyzing: Buffalo Mozzarella; Havarti; Gruyere; Brie; Cambazola; Smoked Gouda; Camembert de Normandie; Limburger; Gorgonzola; Stilton; Epoisses de Bourgogne; Roquefort; Roaring 40's Blue; and Livarot, was:

"It’s two hours after class and I still feel sick." :wacko:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Raclette.

Cold and in your fridge, you will SWEAR something died in there.

Slightly melted on a slice of baguette toast, fresh from the oven, served with chilled Caymus Conundrum and a few cornichons, heaven. :biggrin:

Current US Law Regarding Pasteurization and Cheesemaking

Milk for cheesemaking must be pasteurized or the cheese held at 35 degrees F. for a minimum of 60 days before it can be sold. This applies to domestic or imported cheeses.

To clarify, you are saying that we can have raw milk cheese as long as it has been held at 35F for at least 60 days? :wacko:

If so, then why are we so limited to the cheeses we receive from foreign countries?

Any good domestic stinky cheeses?

Room temperature Stinky Cheese and Baguette....and a glass of red....that's all you need......no onions or any other noise to disturb the true flavour.

..... limburger & onion sandwiches are also quite a tasty combo.

Yeah..... Boy, do I miss Liederkranz.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

A good Alsatian Muenster. Double Wrapped and in a plastic container, it still managed to stink up my fridge. But man was it good with some crusty bread and a Trimbach Riesling

To clarify, you are saying that we can have raw milk cheese as long as it has been held at 35F for at least 60 days? :wacko:

If so, then why are we so limited to the cheeses we receive from foreign countries?

Any good domestic stinky cheeses?

Holding at low temp for that long allows sufficient growth of good bacteria that will kill off the bad bacteria that pasteurization would take care of.

I'm not really a cheese expert, but my understanding the most sought after cheeses by US cheese lovers are the young raw milk cheeses. I've never had the pleasure of tasting any myself, so I don't know why they are so desirable.