• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calif. Pinot Noir Glut

Craig Camp

Cheap Pinot Noir may soon lose its oxymoron status. The "fickle grape" -- notoriously difficult to grow and vinify, yet beautifully plush and food-friendly in the hands of a good winemaker -- is facing one of the most serious oversupply situations of any California variety.

The pinot noir glut in California is a real opportunity to improve the reputation of this varietal in the United States as most pinot noir is planted in vineyard locations that can never produce good wine. Hopefully it is these vineyards that will go. Is there really such a thing as good cheap pinot noir?

Burgundy and Cal Pinot are two entirely different animals. There are only a handful of really good Cal Pinots out there. And they are really expensive. Littorai, Paul Hobbs, Scott Paul. My gripe is that most of them are too clean. Light, sweet red wine doesn't appeal to me.

Mark

Burgundy and Cal Pinot are two entirely different animals. There are only a handful of really good Cal Pinots out there. And they are really expensive.  Littorai, Paul Hobbs, Scott Paul. My gripe is that most of them are too clean. Light, sweet red wine doesn't appeal to me.

Mark-- I agree in general but have had some lovely wines from both Rocholi, Etude and Wm. Selym in the past. I personally think that their wines are not as interesting now as they were 5-8 years ago