• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold Stone Creamery Ice Cream

Suzanne F

For a projected article for The Daily Gullet, I need a flavor, um favor from the membership here: may I ask that anyone who has a Cold Stone Creamery in their area send me their comments about the ice cream? I know, I know, I'm asking you all to do my research for me (Fat Guy, am I learning from you or what?), and it's tough work, but please be assured that I'll return the favor when YOU need something tasted.

Yes, I know it's a big chain :hmmm: . Does that bother you, or are you cool :cool: with it? Their ice cream flavors can be just a wee bit over the top :shock: Do you love any? Hate any? Why? Is there anything else about Cold Stone Creamery that you especially love or hate (staff, store decor, corporate philosophy)?

Please PM me with your comments. Or post them here. If you pm me, unless you tell me not to I will probably post them on this thread after the article is done.

Thanks in advance. :wub: Let the licking begin! :laugh:

I'm not sure if you're interested in this, but we have a Cold Stone Creamery knockoff in Seattle called Mix. I don't like it. I've never tried the ice cream without something mixed in (that would be missing the point), but mashing ice cream with add-ins on a stone is not as effective as whatever they do to get the extras into the ice cream at the Ben & Jerry's factory, and the ice cream doesn't seem to be high quality to start with. But for all I know, CSC is better.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

We have 2 or 3 CSC here in the Boise area. Though my family loves them( i.e. 12 year old daughter) I do not. I make better ice cream at home. It is way over the top in fat content, I believe. Finishing a size small is a monumental feat. You can feel your arties clogging as you sit there. The mix ins, though novel, are a waste of time in my opinion.

I work 2 blocks away from a CSC. I have no problem with corporate-type ice cream places (after all, Ben & Jerry's would fall in that category these days, and I love their ice cream!), but the ice cream at CSC is just....bad. The only way I can describe it is "gluey." It has this bizarre sticky texture, certainly not creamy. And the few flavors I've tried all seem to taste the same.

I like the concept of mix-ins, though. There's a franchise called "Marble Slab Creamery" that I visited in Texas, and their ice cream was much better. I believe Marble Slab stores make their ice cream on-site (edit: I found that CSC does too). Maybe CSC just has lousy ice cream recipes?

Edited by ChocoKitty (log)

I've been to the CSC in Boca Raton a couple of times, and though I like the concept of mix-ins I have to agree, the ice cream itself isn't that great. I also don't like the price concept-- they charge you by the amount of the mix-in that you tell them to put in. I'd rather they just said, "Hey, here's the price per item for mix-in, and we mix as many as necessary to get the right consistency."

Neil

Author of the Mahu series of mystery novels set in Hawaii.

Not a comment on CSC ice cream itself but didn't Steve's in Boston begin the mix-in fad decades ago?

Yes. Steve Herrell, I believe. I worked there for four years. Steve's, not Herrell's.

Don't know Cold Stone -- but one is opening in Times Square (42 between 7/8 -- north side, east of Chevy's). I pass it every day on my way to work -- I'd say it'll be open within a month.

--m.

EDIT: fixed location.

Edited by muon (log)

Not a comment on CSC ice cream itself but didn't Steve's in Boston begin the mix-in fad decades ago?

Yes. Steve Herrell, I believe. I worked there for four years. Steve's, not Herrell's.

Yes, yes. I remember both Steve's and Herrells from when I was in grad school in the Boston area in the 1980's. And, if I remember the story correctly, Steve Herrell sold Steve's then decided he wanted back in the ice cream biz and so opened Herrell's. I also seem to remember that someone tried to replicate the mix-in model many years ago here in California. I was told at the time that it couldn't work because health regulations here wouldn't permit it -- something to do with the mixing slab -- but that the regulation in Massachusetts were different. Perhaps it's all an urban legend.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

That's the story. I vaguely remember the sam story about CA, but it was such a long time ago. I was in SF for about a year, and wanted to check out the ice cream places ( I was a good ice cream maker, and a FAST mix-in person), but there were none to be had. :sad:

By the way, we didn't use marble. It was some sort of plastic.

At the ones I have been to, they will sing you a song if you give them a tip.  This is a great way to embarrass other people you are with.

At Pizza Schmizza, they ring a bell and then everyone whoops. HATE that.

According to the locator, there are a few CSC's nearby. Will have to be altruistic and check one out. In the interest of research.

Don't know Cold Stone -- but one is opening in Times Square (42 between 7/8 -- north side, east of Chevy's).  I pass it every day on my way to work -- I'd say it'll be open within a month.

I also never heard of this chain before, but noticed today on my way home from work that one will be opening in Times Square. So Suzanne, if you're still doing your research by the time this one opens I'll gladly help you out. Probably repeatedly. :laugh:

CSC is definately in CA now. They started sprouting up all over the place in the last year around the bay area. Must have worked through whatever health code problems they were having.

I think the ice cream is made with some pretty low-qual ingredients. As well, the kid behind the counter usually doesn't do a great mixing job because they are so packed with customers. Its a novelty that wears out quick.

The singing after the tips sucks too.

Completely agree with most of the other posters -- a mediocre product made "fun" by the mere fact that you, Mr. or Ms. Consumer, get control over how your consumable is created and you get the *satisfaction* of having watched your sludge mushed about beforehand.

Yuck.

BTW, my sisters love it -- it think they are nuts.

Yes, yes. I remember both Steve's and Herrells from when I was in grad school in the Boston area in the 1980's. And, if I remember the story correctly, Steve Herrell sold Steve's then decided he wanted back in the ice cream biz and so opened Herrell's. I also seem to remember that someone tried to replicate the mix-in model many years ago here in California. I was told at the time that it couldn't work because health regulations here wouldn't permit it -- something to do with the mixing slab -- but that the regulation in Massachusetts were different. Perhaps it's all an urban legend.

Coincidentally, the May issue of Bon Apetit was waiting for me when I got home last night and guess what? There is a 2-page profile of Steve Herrell and what he's doing now with ice cream. I can't seem to get to the link to provide it here but I'm sure someone else can.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Completely agree with most of the other posters -- a mediocre product made "fun" by the mere fact that you, Mr. or Ms. Consumer, get control over how your consumable is created and you get the *satisfaction* of having watched your sludge mushed about beforehand.

Yuck.

BTW, my sisters love it -- it think they are nuts.

You're not saying that the only positive aspect of this type of service is the show, are you? I've never been to CSC, but I know when I worked, customers got very creative with what flavor combinations they thought up. And THAT made it a great place.

I would LOVE to see that Bon Appetit!

For a projected article for The Daily Gullet, I need a flavor, um favor  from the membership here: may I ask that anyone who has a Cold Stone Creamery in their area send me their comments about the ice cream? I know, I know, I'm asking you all to do my research for me (Fat Guy, am I learning from you or what?), and it's tough work, but please be assured that I'll return the favor when YOU need something tasted. 

Yes, I know it's a big chain  :hmmm: .  Does that bother you, or are you cool  :cool:  with it?  Their ice cream flavors can be just a wee bit over the top  :shock:  Do you love any?  Hate any? Why?  Is there anything else about Cold Stone Creamery that you especially love or hate (staff, store decor, corporate philosophy)?

Please PM me with your comments.  Or post them here.  If you pm me, unless you tell me not to I will probably post them on this thread after the article is done. 

Thanks in advance.  :wub:  Let the licking begin!  :laugh:

They're all over New Mexico. I don't think it's great ice cream.

It's kind of too milky or something.

There's another co. too, called 'Marble Slab', I think.(Kind of has an Mortuary ring to it,no?)

But , if I can ask a question, since some people here are talking about other joints.

Does anyone remember a place called Farrells?

It was a restaurant that had big portions, more of a messy sandwich place (like Reubans) that featured ice cream concoctions.

They had one called 'The Pigs Trough" that was HUGE and if you ordered it, people would start marching around the place while a big brass band played over the sound system and pig oinking and snorts were piped in too.

It was messed UP! But cool too :biggrin:

Also tasted good :laugh:

They had one right outside of DC, in Landover Mall in Landover, MD. In the late 70's,early 80s?

2317/5000

We still had a Farrell's in Portland when I moved here (1993) but it's gone now. Good green rivers and grilled cheese.

Tried CSC today for the first time. In the interest of research. Good 45 minute drive away into deepest suburbia. There was no singing. Rather surly trio in general. Tried some sort of birthday cake thing because it was about the most original. In a dish, and not the waffle cone shaped like a dish. The second smallest, which looked pretty small, but I still only got through half. And that was without having had lunch already. And with usually having a prodigous capacity. It was very rich. My companion, who had another pre-designed speciality, of a peanut butter and chocolate theme, finished his with some difficulty. We agreed it was clearly better than BR or anything that comes in a block, but not super premium. Bit of a sweet chemical aftertaste. The rainbow sprinkles were surprisingly crunchy. That was nice. Once the one downtown near my office opens, I will try it again. Still curious about 'Boston Cream Pie.' But definitely the smallest portion.

Tried CSC today for the first time.  In the interest of research.  Good 45 minute drive away into deepest suburbia.

Thank you. I truly appreciate the sacrifice you made on my behalf.