• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's Everyone's Favorite Beer?

cricket33

At the moment, I love a beer put out by Three Floyd's, Dreadnaught IPA, a massive beer, with an explosion of citrusy, dry hop character - the most, and best, I've experienced in any beer. A truly outstanding effort (I am not biased, though it's brewed by a former colleague from our Goose Island days...way to go, Jimmy!).

Of course, I brew a ton, and I am unabashedly self-congratulatory in saying I really enjoy my own line...cold conditioning an Imperial IPA, dry hopping a strong ESB, and about to brew a robust porter...

Onwards, fans of ale! :rolleyes:

Paul

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

If I were on the desert island and could have a case of something dropped, I think it would be Anchor Steam.

Tied for second place would be:

- Boddington's Ale

- Budvar

- Stella Artois

- Widmer Hefeweizen

- Capital Brewing Gartenbrau

- Guiness Stout

Singha is the ultimate, the culmination and combination of all that is right and good about beer. Boon Rawd = Boo ya!

But it's so hard to find nowadays! I've had to fall back on San Miguel, which is so very might fine but not even close to Singha.

Did the redneck in the white house declare war on Thailand without my noticing? Wouldn't surprise me.

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

• 2 years later...

Well, I'm too young to say "Billy Beer", so I'll have to answer Spilker Ales Windchill Spiced Ale. Sadly, it's not produced anymore.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

At 100 degrees F outside with relative humidity making it feel like 105, I have to say that the simple lagers with uncomplicated taste characteristics (or lack of) like Heineken, Coors, Beck's, Lowenbrau, PBR, Miller, Rolling Rock and Budweiser are pretty ideal when they have been sitting in a ice water bath for an hour or so. Not exactly what I would go for in other circumstances, but when you are outside, grilling or barbecueing, those beers are really good ice cold.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Asking "what's my favorite beer?" would almost be like asking which of my children is my favorite. (Okay, maybe not THAT bad...) Right now, because it's summer, it's Pabst for a cheap but necessary chug after mowing, Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat for refined enjoyment. And in a pinch, anything cold...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

• 2 weeks later...
Do they still brew Watneys Red Barrel? It was great.

Great? Well, in some ways it made history in that IIRC it was one of the beers (in it's pasteurized "keg" beer form) that helped spur the creation of CAMRA.

Even the US version was suspect- I seem to recall that it was one of the ONLY beers I've ever seen with an ingredient list that included potassium metabisulfite on the label. But, at the time, it was (along with Bass) one of the very few UK beers commonly found in the US, and, as such, was "different" from the typical US industrial lager or Euro pilsner. I think it had the distinction of being primarily an "export" brand, since it was so disliked in it's home country. (Just do a Google on it...).

The brand was discontinued in the UK and later re-appeared in Canada but I think that version is gone, too. I do see mention of the beer in some bars lists of beers, but don't know where it's coming from these days.

My sister and her hubby recently turned me on to Heineken Light.

Prior to that, I'd been drinking Miller Lite (Rusty W. beer!!)

At the Epcot Food & Wine Festival last year, I discovered cherry wheat

beer and lemon beer - the brand is well-known, but I can't think of

it at the moment.

I normally don't drink a lot of beer - usually it's wine.

My sister and her hubby recently turned me on to Heineken Light.

Prior to that, I'd been drinking Miller Lite (Rusty W. beer!!)

At the Epcot Food & Wine Festival last year, I discovered cherry wheat

beer and lemon beer - the brand is well-known, but I can't think of

it at the moment.

I normally don't drink a lot of beer - usually it's wine.

It finally came to me - Samuel Adams.

• 1 month later...
Do they still brew Watneys Red Barrel? It was great.

Great? Well, in some ways it made history in that IIRC it was one of the beers (in it's pasteurized "keg" beer form) that helped spur the creation of CAMRA.

<- Lifetime CAMRA member. And yeah, Watney's Red Barrel did indeed spur on the revolution. Only time I ever saw the stuff was in a pizza chain in the US -- Roundtable or Lamp Post I think. I think that's damn funny: that it spurred the English on to demand proper beer, while being exiled to the provinces along with the rest of the fornicating-in-a-canoe "beers"... :laugh:

Guinness - What better in a pub? :biggrin:

Boddington's Pub Ale - OK, maybe this. :)

Summit Pale Ale - When in Minnesota, the standby on tap to defend against the light beers. :hmmm:

Bell's Two Hearted Ale

Newcastle Nut Brown Ale

Leinenkugel's Original - When can beer is necessary for the occassion

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

• 3 weeks later...
Man, this is a difficult question.

My top 3 are probably:

Jeremiah Red - BJ's Brewery

Gordon Biersch's Hefeweizen

Sam Adam's Boston Lager - The best alternative for me to drinking BMC swill.

Hard to pick just one, but I would have to say Theakston's Old Peculiar.

• 2 weeks later...