• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's Everyone's Favorite Beer?

cricket33

Is Augsburger still around? Haven't seen it lately.....still gets my vote.  Killian's Red draft as #2.

Augsburger was one of my early micro favorites, and I'm glad to know its back in production.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

• 4 weeks later...

My favorites are wheat beers, usually micro brews pubs stumbled across while playing tourist on a hot day. Crop circle wheat in Madisons' Great Dane is mighty good, for example.

My least favorite are the berry beers. They taste too contrived for me, though maybe I just haven't had a good one.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Harpoon IPA, brewed in Windsor, VT.

this was one of my favorites for a long time. not so much lately, tho. i'm going to have to check out this Hop Hazard from NJ.

River Horse Hop Hazard is a nice, dry-hopped IPA style, not as assertive as you'd expect, but nice enough. I find it a better match for Thai food than Singha beer from Thailand.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

My favorites are wheat beers, usually micro brews pubs stumbled across while playing tourist on a hot day.  Crop circle wheat in Madisons' Great Dane is mighty good, for example.

My least favorite are the berry beers.  They taste too contrived for me, though maybe I just haven't had a good one.

You get to enjoy New Glarus beers in WI, dont you? Their Raspberry Tart and Wisconsin Belgian Red will both change your mind.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

i found some genny cream ale at a local grocery the other day and was thrilled-i hadn't had it since i snuck it out of the house as a teenager. my family would take cartons of cigarettes up to pennsylvania and bring back utica club and genny cream ale by the case- this was MANLY beer for a southern girl to drink!! to my surprise i still enjoy that bite that genny has. also found low carb rolling rock-i thought it was pretty tasty for water.

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

I think I'm in heaven now. I've found a forum with a whole topic devoted to beer. This must be a dream.......

Anyway, I always love that ice cold mug of Budweiser, that you'll get at like Outback, or a good steak house, like Ruth Chris. Nothing like Draft beer, and in a frosty mug!

However, while I type this I'm drinking Miller Lite out of a bottle that is in a cooler outside covered with ice. And it's how cold outside? REALLY COLD!!!!!!!

I'd love to list some obscure beers but I always end up coming back to my old standby of Guinness. It's not hard to find on tap (the only way) and I know it'll be good. I've been going through a Mexican cooking phase recently and Negra Modelo is holding the fort as my #2 right now.

My favorite beer is mostly determined by what mood I am in. I am partial to a local amber called Hammerhead, Fat Tire is good, a Becks on a hot night is nice, and whatever they have on nitro any given winter night is well worth the trip.

favorite macro brew:

miller genuine draft

(only commerical campaign I liked so much I purposely switched to product--during times suitable for quaffing macro brew--eg. great band in small club)

favorite bottled beer:

Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter

and

Negro Modela

and

Pilsner Urquell

favorite beer to drink too much of in divey southern bar (preferable, 2 for a buck):

Little Kings (10? oz each); do they still make these?

any number of good micro brews

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Mmmmm... Abita Amber... which is sorely missed since moving to DC - this town seems to be all about the Miller Lite.

You have some great beer choices in DC: Old Dominion, Baltimore Brewing, Blue & Gold, Gordon Biersch, Clipper City, Frederick, Wild Goose, Capital Brewing, Williamsburg Brewing , and many more; you dont lack for outstanding beers in DC at all!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Blue & Gold

Rich,

Blue and Gold shutdown about 5 years ago. Casuality of the owner's divorce

Nearest Metro station to the DC (and burbs) brewpubs:

Gordon Biersch, District Chophouse, Capital City-Downtown, John Harvard's: Metro Center and Gallery Place/Chinatown/MCI Center. All four places are with in 5 blocks of each other. Also near the MCI Center is one of the better beer bars in DC - RFD (Regional Food and Drink).

Capital City-Capital Hill: Union Station

Rock Bottom-Bethesda: Bethesda

Rock Bottom-Arlington: Ballston

Founder's: King Street

Sweetwater Tavern-Merrifield: Dunn Loring

Capital City-Arlington: Not within walking distance of the metro, but is a very short bus ride from the Pentagon Metro. Metro Bus 7A. Leaves on the half hour.

Places you need to drive to: Sweetwater Tavern- Centreville and Sterling, Summit Station (Gaithersburg), Old Dominion (Ashburn), Franklin's (Hyattsville).

How about beers that are most overrated:

rolling rock: not that it is highly rated, but did you ever see the scene in dumb & dumber when the cop pulls them over and drinks their "beer"?

Heinekan: tastes like you are chewing aluminum foil....unless you get it fresh from the brewery in amsterdam that is!

Sam Adams: I think people only like it because they think he is some sort of american hero for brewing mediocre mass produced domestic beer that people treat like a good import.

My Goodness my Guinness: less alcohol than a bud, not carbonated enough and sits like a brick. if you want a beer with a creamy head, drink a boddingtons.

Blue & Gold

Rich,

Blue and Gold shutdown about 5 years ago. Casuality of the owner's divorce

Isnt Blue and Gold still in Fredricksville, VA?

Blue and Grey is in Fredericksburg, VA and they are strictly a microbrewery. There used to be a brewpub in Arlington named Blue and Gold.

Best beer:

In winter - Unibroue Eau Benite (great fruity charactertics, but at 7.7% it's a little "warm" to be drinking in the summertime)

In summer - Corona (yes, with lime - preferably a cold six pack served up in a bucket with ice).

Worst beer:

The skunky Carling Red Cap (in stubby bottles) me and my buddy "swiped" from his old man's basement. Must'a been at least 5 years old.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

• 1 month later...

(not in any order)

1. Troeg's Troegenator

2. Troegs Hopback Amber Ale

3. Golden Monkey

4. The "Williamsporter" a carob maple porter made by my local brew pub, The Bullfrog Brewery.

5. Guiness on tap

6. Yuengling Lager

7. Straub (no preservatives, any crap at all)

when i need a 30 pack...........busch cans

"yes i'm all lit up again"