• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's Everyone's Favorite Beer?

cricket33

Oh Kenk . Blue is kind of Canada's Bud.

Actually, to my knowledge the Bud in Canada IS Blue. Labatt produces all the A-B products under contract, and Molson produces all of Coors' products under contract. It even says so on the containers.

Of course, that's why the Bud in Canada tastes so much better. I can't stand American Bud, but I do like Blue as far as the mass-produced beers go.

Actually, to my knowledge the Bud in Canada IS Blue.  Labatt produces all the A-B products under contract, and Molson produces all of Coors' products under contract.  It even says so on the containers.

Of course, that's why the Bud in Canada tastes so much better.  I can't stand American Bud, but I do like Blue as far as the mass-produced beers go.

You are assuming they just run the Blue tap a little longer and bottle the excess as Bud or whatever, which is entirely possible--although doesn't the Bud recipe contain rice, which is unheard-of in "Canadian" beer?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

To clear up a few things. PDC I did not say that "Blue is kind of Canada's Bud." That was fresco. Secondly, fresco I'm from Southern Ontario, and still live here. I can verify that many people I know do in fact order it. Moosehead is on tap at most bars, and is frequently consumed during basketball season (by the pitcher, of course). In addition I have a special place in my heart for it as it represents many a pub night during my University years.

And as redarmy says, the Sleeman and Creemore products are quite good.

Edited by dhalandrice (log)

There must be something to the notion that if it's exotic, it's desirable. Moosehead is popular in places like Florida, but I can't actually recall  seeing  someone ordering one in Canada.

My father buys Moosehead in cans because, as he puts it, it comes in a handy eight pack, with a carrying handle. That being said, I can't say that I've ever seen anyone order Moosehead in an actual bar in Alberta.

If you're looking for semi-mass market Canadian beers that aren't a Labbatt or Molson product, I would recommend anything by Big Rock, Sleeman or Creemore Springs. Of note: Big Rock's Grasshopper Wheat Ale, Traditional Ale and McNally's Extra Ale; Sleeman's Sliver Creek Lager and Steam Beer; Creemore Springs Premium Lager and urBock.

My particular favorites are the Creemore Springs Lager (when I can get it), Grasshopper and Guinness (which actually does taste different in Dublin.)

Edited by redarmy (log)

To clear up a few things. PDC I did not say that "Blue is kind of Canada's Bud." That was fresco. Secondly, fresco I'm from Southern Ontario, and still live here. I can verify that many people I know do in fact order it. Moosehead is on tap at most bars, and is frequently consumed during basketball season (by the pitcher, of course). In addition I have a special place in my heart for it as it represents many a pub night during my University years.

You may well be right about Moosehead being available at a lot of places, but as I said before, I can't recall seeing anyone ordering it. We probably go to different bars.

Good brew:

if I could bring one with me-Mendocino Red Tail Ale

something meaty but not too meaty-Wasatch Polygamy Porter (you can't have just one!)

something meaty and only meaty-Murphy's Irish Stout

on a hot summer evening-Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

a fine pils-Staropramen

after hucking off routine 4 footers on the Slickrock Trail with 5" clearance for an entire day- Moab Brewery's Dead Horse Ale

if I'm feelin' snooty but still want a good brew that's as snooty as I'm feeling at that moment-Gordon Biersch Maibock

when I'm listening to Johnny Cash and feel as if I need a big wet kiss-Pyramid DPA

most memorable underappreciated beer I ever had- Half Moon Bay Brewing Co's Mavericks Amber Ale

least memorable overappreciated beer I ever had yet still, in a weird way, liked it, if not for the novelty of it all-Hamm's

best disco-era beer I ever had-Tuborg

best beer shirt I ever owned-Primo Beer

best pub I've ever been to and can almost remember it-Durty Nelly's, Bunratty, Ireland

most beautiful pub I've ever been to and can almost remember it-Ryan's of Parkgate, Dublin, Ireland

my first beer (virgin)-Foster's Lager (big can)

my last beer (last night)-Squatter's St. Provo Girl

today's beer of choice-SLO Brewing Co's Extra Pale Ale

--

Thank you!

Fuzz Bucket Korlenski

Park City, UT

Edited by Fuzz Bucket (log)

You may well be right about Moosehead being available at a lot of places, but as I said before, I can't recall seeing anyone ordering it. We probably go to different bars.

Maybe in 1995 people were ordering Moosehead...if anything they're ordering Keith's now.

I like that new Mill Street organic, though I don't like the tiny bottles - good on draft.

Tried a new one (for me) on the weekend: Neustadt. Quite tasty. My new favourite.

Neustadt Springs Brewery Ltd.

456 Jacob St.

Neustadt, Ontario

Phone: (519) 799-5790

Hours: 10am - 6pm Tuesday to Sunday

Brewer: Andrew Stimpson

Won a silver medal at Guelph Beer Festival 2000 for Neustadt Lager.

Reputed to be the oldest original operating brewery building in Ontario. Stone built in 1859 by 40 German stonemasons, with underground caverns where the original crystal springs flow.

http://realbeer.com/canada/brewtour/ON-mic...crobrewery.html

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

To clear up a few things. PDC I did not say that "Blue is kind of Canada's Bud." That was fresco.

Sorry, that wasn't me directly, I just snipped the quote and that's how it came out. No offense intended or anything. :wub:

Actually, to my knowledge the Bud in Canada IS Blue.  Labatt produces all the A-B products under contract, and Molson produces all of Coors' products under contract.  It even says so on the containers.

Of course, that's why the Bud in Canada tastes so much better.  I can't stand American Bud, but I do like Blue as far as the mass-produced beers go.

You are assuming they just run the Blue tap a little longer and bottle the excess as Bud or whatever, which is entirely possible--although doesn't the Bud recipe contain rice, which is unheard-of in "Canadian" beer?

It could be the case. I'm not sure how faithfully they have to follow the cheapness of A-B's procedures. Could be just like that episode of the Simpsons where they have one line going into kegs marked "Duff Beer", "Duff Ice", "Duff Dry"... :biggrin:

Canadian Bud sure tasted awfully similar to Blue the last time I had it though (and the only reason I tried it was that a friend tipped me off onto the contract brewing). Still haven't had the gumption to try Molson's Coors Light though, I can't imagine that being any better than Molson Golden which I think is pretty bad. I'll take Ex any time though, or Canadian, or XXX if I feel like killing a lot of brain cells.

For those who are giving Canadian micro tips, allow me to humbly suggest Unibroue's excellent line of Belgian-style ales. For those who like Ommegang's flagship beer, try a La Fin Du Monde. You'll be happy you did. And the Trois Pistoles is quite excellent as well.

And on the Moosehead front, the Moosehead Pale Ale (red label) is a good mass produced beer if you can get it. I've only ever seen it in New Brunswick and (oddly enough) Ottawa.

For those who are giving Canadian micro tips, allow me to humbly suggest Unibroue's excellent line of Belgian-style ales. For those who like Ommegang's flagship beer, try a La Fin Du Monde. You'll be happy you did. And the Trois Pistoles is quite excellent as well.

I'm currently halfway through a 4-pack of La Fin Du Monde. My local Buy-Rite just started carrying it, and I remember a mention on this thread. I've had Ommegang before, but I don't know if it was their flagship beer, so it's hard to compare. This is definitely in the Belgian style though. Very good call. Since Buy-Rite has it, I'll have to check out the Trois Pistoles as well.

urg. I can't stand Fin du Monde--I don't know if it was the bottle I tried, but jesus it was terrible.

Also to be avoided--virtually anything by Alleycat. It's a brewery out of Edmonton and (imho) everything they produce is best suited for pouring down the sink.

On the opposite side--and throw stones if you must--I have a soft spot in my heart for a little Pilsner every once in a while.

Yes, I mean this Pilsner.

urg.  I can't stand Fin du Monde--I don't know if it was the bottle I tried, but jesus it was terrible.

Also to be avoided--virtually anything by Alleycat.  It's a brewery out of Edmonton and (imho) everything they produce is best suited for pouring down the sink.

On the opposite side--and throw stones if you must--I have a soft spot in my heart for a little Pilsner every once in a while.

Yes, I mean this Pilsner.

Redarmy,

Didn't Lethbridge Pilsner attain something approaching a goofy cult status among a certain sort of diehard Albertan, especially the ones who found symbolism in the label after smoking a lot of weed?

Redarmy,

Didn't Lethbridge Pilsner attain something approaching a goofy  cult status among a certain sort of diehard Albertan, especially the ones who found symbolism in the label after smoking a lot of weed?

Not sure about the goofy cult status--it certainly isn't a hipster beer to the extent of Pabst Blue Ribbon. It's more of a working class beer than Canadian, especially in rural Alberta and Saskatchewan. (Although Saskatchewan has the home-grown Western Beer, which is nigh undrinkable.)

I do have friends who look for symbolism on the label ("Hey, there's 37 white rabbits and Janis Joplin died at the age of 37 etc. etc.") but usually only when they're approaching the end of the case, rather than the end of the eighth.

And, honestly, finding quote unquote symbolism in your beer label is pretty common. Am I the only one that remembers the "Batman mask on the Molson Red Dog label (if you hold the label upside down and squint just right)" gavote?

Yards ESA from Philadelphia, on the handpump at McMenamin's Tavern in the Mt Airy section of Philly.

Victory Hop Devil, from PA, perhaps the best IPA made in America

Bell's Oberon from Michigan

Tremont Ale from Boston

Sly Fox Pils  and Gang Aftly Scotch Ale from Phoenixville, PA

Troegs Hopback Amber from Harrisburg, PA, on the handpump at The Standard Tap in Philly

Rich, it sounds like you're from the Philly area. Is Bell's sold by you? (I'm in Grand Rapids, MI.)

Bell's Oberon is a great summer brew. I usually drink it after a game, on tap at my most-frequented softball bar. It's $9.50 a pitcher -- twice as much as, but infinitely better than, the Coors Light inexplicably preferred by the rest of my normally rational team.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Favorite beer? That's easy, except that you can't get it any more: Thomas Hardy Ale. Unfortunatly, the Thomas Hardy Brewing Company decided a few years back that actually making their own beer was an optional frill, so the 1999 bottling was the last.

Anyone with a line on where any of the last run could be acquired in NYC should contact me immediately. :)

Favorite beer?  That's easy, except that you can't get it any more: Thomas Hardy Ale.  Unfortunatly, the Thomas Hardy Brewing Company decided a few years back that actually making their own beer was an optional frill, so the 1999 bottling was the last.

Anyone with a line on where any of the last run could be acquired in NYC should contact me immediately. :)

Thomas Hardy's Ale will reappear this fall. Visit http://mythbirdbeer.com/whatsnew.shtml for info.

Like most people I put my favorite beer in two categories.

1) Anything I can get microbrew and local. :smile:

2) Mass distributed beers: Aass (when I lived in Mpls, so I guess its not that mass distributed), Duvel, Red Stripe, Newcastle Brown

But then again I can't actually say there is a beer I don't like, just depends on the mood/setting.

On another note... is it just me or has Boulevard from KC exploded into pubs/bars/restaurants on tap? I can get the Blvd Wheat almost anywhere, and I live in western South Dakota! Don't get me wrong I use it as my starter beer to broaden the horizons of "Domestic" beer drinkers.

There are probably hundreds of good beers to drink out there, goodness knows it always seems that way when I buy 3-4 different new bottles to try. So everybody above is "right," in a sense.

But one beer I really do miss, which was simply the best, fullest-tasting "light" beer I've ever had, was Nordic Wolf from, I believe, Sweden. Until about 10 years ago you could find it in NJ fairly easily. But now now, alas. It was good, well-developed as a brewing product.

Another brewery whose products I like (mainly, maybe, because I still have 2 bottles left that I brought back from there) is the Valhalla Brewing Co. in the Shetlands, on the isle of Unst, beyond which as you head northwards there's only the Arctic Circle. "Simmer Dim" and "Auld Rock" are both estimable ales. I took 2 ferries to get to the brewery during a bona-fide gale, spent almost an hour chatting with the brewmaster, a 22-year-old grad of the U of Edinburgh, and finally! he shyly asks me, whilst the Atlantic is practically coming in at Force-6 wind speed through the brewery windows, if I'd like to try some beer. You have to love a moment like that. Luckily, too, I drank enough so that the two bumpy ferry rides back to Shetland mainland never affected me one bit.

If there is anything worst than Bud or Bud Lite I'd like to try it. Actually there is one beer that is worse. Anything brewed in a Mr. Beer homemade beer kit is just as bad. If you want good beer, try Troeggs from PA. They know what they are doing.

Edited by Mitch (log)

(i)Mitch

imho Czech beer puts the rest of the world's to shame, but only when consumed in the Czech Republic. The US does not allow the real stuff to be imported :angry:

Of US microbrews Bridgeport's Blue Heron is my favorite. Tragically, never have seen it in NY. Alas, a lack.

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais