• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's Everyone's Favorite Beer?

cricket33

My favorite beer is hefe-weizen as found on tap in Bavaria. In comparison to American hefe-weizens I have tasted, it is not nearly as hoppy. The closest I have found in a bottle in Austin is Ayinger Brau-Weisse. My second choice would be Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell, but I have found it to be inconsistent, perhaps because it moves off the shelves more slowly and varies in freshness. I am not sure why, but most German imports and every American version that I have tried are much hoppier. I do enjoy IPAs, but don't care for the bitter taste in a hefe-weizen.

Ringwood Fortyniner.

Fantastic beer from my local brewery

http://www.ringwoodbrewery.co.uk/fortyniner.htm

I used to live in Fordingbridge and was a big fan of the Ringwood beers. The nearby and new Sixpenny Handley brewery is highly recommended.

I now live in NE Hampshire, and am a committed Triple FFF drinker. The brewery tap is only two doors from my house! The owner's a great guy, and has organised brewery tours for my group of friends quite often, including my birthday last year, which was a fabulous day, although my memory gets pretty hazy by lunchtime...

*edited for awful spelling*

Edited by mr_meanor (log)

If when you die you get a choice between pie heaven and regular heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if not, mmmboy.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The answer changes with the season!

Summer- Working outside in the summer heat calls for a crisp American lager. This year it has been Bush beer. Previously Keystone Premium.

Fall- Shorter days with cool nights have me thinking about beers with more body. Need a taste of some brown Belgiam abbey ales. Our local selection of these is pittiful, so for now, I'm enjoying Chimay Grand Reserve in my Berliner Weiss glass; it brings out the myriad of fruit smells.

Winter- Stout time! Last winter had me buying Guiness Export Stout. Very different than the watered down pub draft. It almost has a sour note which comes through the wonderful black patent malt.

Spring- Starting to wean off the black stuff and transition to some middle ground. Just love the English ales= Whitbread, Old Speckled Hen, Holy GrALE, & Theakstons Old Peculiar!

I don't look to start a troll war here, but I find most American Micro's to be trendy cr@p!

There, now I'll get off my soapbox.

My favorite beer is Pyramid Hefeweizen, however, the beer I drink is Miller 64 because of the low calorie count.

I may have just gotten used to it but I REALLY like it and I don't have to feel guilty when I drink it.

• 2 months later...

It is hard to narrow it down. For widely available beer, such as what I would order in a non craft bar, I do love me some Guinness or some Newcastle Brown Ale.

Absolute favorite is harder, and there is so much more out their to try, but I really do enjoy Bell's Kalamazoo Stout, and the Lagunitas Maximus IPA.

• 1 month later...

Boulevard Pale Ale or Wheat.....they even make a pale ale mustard which is really freaking good (deviled eggs have never been the same). We used to have a company called Flying Monkey but they went out of business.....maybe because my cousin and I kept doing the brew tour every saturday for free beer.

I also like the Abita Pecan Harvest and Hoegaarden.

Right now it is Schlitz High Gravity V.S.L. @ 8.5%!

I pour about 1-2 oz of limeade in a glass and top off with 16oz of Schlitz, making a rather sneakily potent shandy. The lager is ok on it's own but a little sweet for sustained drinking.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My top 5, in no particular order (except the first one):

1. Red Racer IPA from Vancouver

2. Rhyme and Reason from Burlington, ON

3. Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

4. Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier from Germany

5. Krombacher from Germany

Ryan Imgrund

Food Lover and Published Foodborne Pathogen Expert

If I'm cooking with it -- Green Flash Double Stout. If I'm drinking it -- Boulevard's Long Strange Trippel.

Yuengling Lager is also marvelous. I bootleg it on a regular basis.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 1 month later...