• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's Everyone's Favorite Beer?

cricket33

You mean Aventinus on draught? It is available in bottles all over the place. And I believe that it is available kegged in places not Munich as well, as I recall it being on the draught list at Ludwig's Garten in Philadelphia a year or two ago.

Is there something special about how it is on its home turf that makes it unique there and unreproducable? Are the exported versions pale shadows of the real thing's glory? Because the exports are pretty damn tasty themselves.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 2 months later...
I would also recommend Black Sheep but my current favourite is Golden Pig from Country Life Brewery in Bideford, Devon, right on my doorstep.

Dunno why, but any beer with 'Golden' in it always gets my taste buds purring long before tasting. Its a very effective marketing tag! Wharfedale Breweries and COpper Dragon always seem to do something with the magic word in the title.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

I would also recommend Black Sheep but my current favourite is Golden Pig from Country Life Brewery in Bideford, Devon, right on my doorstep.

Dunno why, but any beer with 'Golden' in it always gets my taste buds purring long before tasting.

Even this one?

http://www.dogfish.com/brewings/On_Hiatus_...er/43/index.htm

I don't know, I'm sorta getting burned out on the cute/goofy brand names, complete with cartoon characters, that a lot of the micros here in the US give their beers ( tho' in this case, I think DFH was using it ironically to further the concept of the "true pilsner without advertising"). Do these people really think a dog on the label or wacky name is going to get me to buy the beer, with no other knowledge of it? I've got to say that I sometimes buy these beers IN SPITE of the name.

"Do these people really think a dog on the label or wacky name is going to get me to buy the beer, with no other knowledge of it?"

I guess I often order a beer because I like the name but only if I can see what sort of beer it is first. Two that I came to like this way were 'Tanglefoot' and 'Old Thumper'. But that is the sort of thing you do at beer festivals - you have to choose from the hundreds on offer some how, and then try to remember which ones you liked at the end.

I also like the name of Cotleigh's Buzzard but we see Buzzards flying around here most days so that is just an association I like to make with a place I love.

The beer is good too mind.

• 1 month later...

I used to have favorite beers now with all the brew pubs and all the fantastic "new" beers around the Pacific Northwest...all I can say is tell me what to try and I will ..if it is cold ..fresh and on tap ..I am happy!!!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

• 4 years later...

Seems it has been a bit quiet in here for awhile! New member and while I have become enchanted with the renaissance of spirits and vintage cocktails my first mistress was beer and I will no doubt continue my long time love affair with her, no matter how exotic the cocktails might be!

While my tastes have changed over the years as my pocketbook has gotten a bit more amendable to variety I still like many different beers and find that the occasion can dictate my choice. I have recently been reexploring the lambics and Trappist ales of Belgium (and the one lonely, somewhat more commercialzed Trappist ale representative from the Netherlands). Some day I will get back to Belgium and hope to try a Westvleteren 12 but for now I think my favorite is the Westmalle Tripel.

Lambics are sometimes a challenge to come by and my favorite are the fruit lambics, especially the framboise. Lindemans is most readliy available at my location and occasionally Boon so that is what I drink when I have a hankering but would love to find a source for the Cantillon line to try and am particularly fascinated, for reasons I can't explain, with the Blåbær (Blueberry) Lambik reportedly available only at Ølbutikken in Copenhagen. Not sure it is even still available there!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

I'll have to say that I sorely miss the brews from the Alley Kat brewery in Edmonton, Alberta; particularly their Old Deuteronomy Barleywine, Full Moon IPA, and the Aprikat lager (an apricot beer, very refreshing.)

The only thing really available in Ecuador is the national beer, Pilsener (the brand and the type), as the alternative, Club, is absolutely ghastly. If I'm willing to drop $3 a bottle, I can sometimes get Heinie or Corona, and for slightly less some truly awful Peruvian skook.

Hence, my current favourite beer is whatever my friend Gareth is brewing at the moment. After my hops bloom, it will be whatever I choose to brew, most likely a chocolate stout. It's all a crapshoot, really, because I malt and oast my own grains, and I'd like to have a shot at doing black caramel malt sometime soon. I will say that I do miss the ales....

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Pan Can, are the import regulations such that you can order brewing supplies online? Or is it just prohibitively expensive? Not that I'm familiar with the process, but I'm sure you could find scources!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

The Cerveceria Nacional has an import monopoly on all malts, malt extracts, and hops in all forms. I can probably get one or the other illegally, but then it becomes prohibitively expensive and if I'm caught there are penalties ranging from rather stiff fines to jail time, and since I'm a resident outsider I could also get kicked out of the country. Hence, I grow my own hops (from seed, no less) and I malt my own grain from locally-sourced barley. Those manners of getting at beermaking are perfectly licit.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Has anyone else had Sixpoint's Bengali Tiger? It's a fantastic IPA which I recently discovered. I've heard it's popular enough that it has been quite hard to find if you aren't somewhat local (Brooklyn). It's a solid east coast style IPA that has floral/fruity hops up front with juicy tropical fruits (NOT to be confused with any sort of sweet, fruit beer) and hints of caramel/buttery smoothness. It's complex, beautiful and works really well. It also comes in cans (16oz), which is a new-er trend for quality beer and lets you know they care about the quality of the brew when it reaches the drinker.

Sorry to go on and on about it, but I keep a beer log ("log" sounds manlier than "diary") and this one was the most recent one to blow me away, and is my current favorite.

I haven't tried Sixpoint's Bengali Tiger, but I do love their Righteous [Rye] Ale. I find it fairly unique--it's got plenty of hops (falls somewhere between an APA and and IPA, with plenty of aroma), and the rye gives the malt a very interesting character. Normally I like the malt in my hoppy beers to stay out of the way (put that sack of crystal malt down, east coast brewers!), but the spicy rye flavor gives a nice compliment to the hops without muddying up the flavor or making it sweet.

I've heard good things about the Righteous Ale - def on my "to try" list.

Since Fall isn't too far away, has anyone had Southern Tier's Pumking? I missed it last year, but everyone I know who has had it says it's amazing - like a slice of pumpkin pie in a bottle. A friend of mine is picking up a few bombers of it for me today (apparently it's a very limited release this year). I'll let a few sit until the leaves are orange, and another age till next year.

Yikes, cricket33, sorry not Bud. I apologize in advance for any demeaning statements you may find about Bud and/or Bud drinkers across this board when you inevitably start looking around. :wink: Sorry.

I like a variety of beers, and there are times when Budweiser does the trick for me. When it's a hot day, and I want something refreshing and quenching, I'll often choose Bud over any number of other beers. Yet, at other times, there are many beers that I'd prefer over Bud ...

... Shel

I'm a hop head. Ranger IPA or Pliny the Elder for me.

And I won't talk down Budweiser. It needs more hops, in my opinion. But name me a beer brewed in so many places by so many different brewers that tastes exactly the same everywhere. That is extraordinarily difficult. So while it's not my beer, I respect the care that goes into it.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

WRT Southern Tier's Pumking: If you're looking for a beer that screams PUMPKIN, this is it. I've only had it once, on tap, and my impression was that it was particularly well-crafted in its balance. Many beers like it don't balance the spices with sweetness or pumpkin, IMO, which make them taste a little...hollow? Pumking, like Southern Tier's Blackwater series of flavored stouts, tastes exactly like what the label advertises. I suspect a good part of this is because ST seems to have no qualms about brewing beers that end up very sweet, which makes pumpkin taste like pumpkin (instead of just spices), chocolate taste like chocolate (instead of coffee or indistict "roasty"), and creme brulee taste like a freakin' creme brulee. The Blackwater beers are generally too sweet for my taste, but a 12oz pour of Pumking each autumn feels just right. For the relatively low $$ (~$7/22oz) that it commands, I say give it a shot.

Edited by emannths (log)

WRT Southern Tier's Pumking: If you're looking for a beer that screams PUMPKIN, this is it. I've only had it once, on tap, and my impression was that it was particularly well-crafted in its balance. Many beers like it don't balance the spices with sweetness or pumpkin, IMO, which make them taste a little...hollow? Pumking, like Southern Tier's Blackwater series of flavored stouts, tastes exactly like what the label advertises. I suspect a good part of this is because ST seems to have no qualms about brewing beers that end up very sweet, which makes pumpkin taste like pumpkin (instead of just spices), chocolate taste like chocolate (instead of coffee or indistict "roasty"), and creme brulee taste like a freakin' creme brulee. The Blackwater beers are generally too sweet for my taste, but a 12oz pour of Pumking each autumn feels just right. For the relatively low $$ (~$7/22oz) that it commands, I say give it a shot.

Well, I have three 22oz bombers of it sitting on my desk as we speak. By me, they are closer to $9 after deposit and tax, but well worth it if the hype is true. I'm normally not a big fan of "sweet" beers, but I think in this context it might be right.

Also, Pliny the Elder was mentioned. That's a beer I've been wanting to try, but apparently the Russian River Brewing beer's don't make it to the East Coast all that often. If you are a hop head, you gotta check out Stone's Ruination. Their regular IPA is VERY good, and Ruination is fantastic and very hoppy.

Edited by TheNoodleIncident (log)

• 1 month later...

Several favorites:

Dark Belgians: Gouden Carolus classic, Cuvée van de Keizer, and Christmas beer; Kasteel Donker/Bruin, Rochefort 10 (but that's sort of obvious right?), Gulden Draak

Light Belgians: more obvious choices: Duvel, Delirium Tremens, La Chouffe

Wheat: Hoegaarden, Weihenstephaner,

English ales: Fuller's ESB, Ringwood Old Thumper, Coniston Blue Bird Bitter, Theakston Old Peculier, Shepherd Neame Spitfire

Others: Guinness, Red Stripe, Kozel, Pilsner Urquell, anything by Spaten, Dogfish Head Raison d'Etre/d'Extra, Unibroue Fin du Monde and Maudite

Of all of these I'd say the Cuvée van de Keizer is my all time favorite though

Tough, tough, tough question.

Some favourites, tho'

Australia: White Rabbit (both the white and dark ales), Coopers Sparkling, Coopers Strong Vintage Ale, James Squire Golden.

Belgium: Saison Dupont, Chimay Grand Reserve

Ethiopian: St George

France: 3 Monts

Germany: pretty much any wheat beer

Japan: damn near all of them I've tried

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I really like Corona because it doesn't give me a hangover, and I like lighter styles that you can drink all night without feeling full/gassy like with heavier beers.

Since arriving in Canada I've come to like Alexander Keiths Pale Ale, and in Australian beers I love James Boags and Bluetongue Pale Ale.

When I'm partial to stout, I love the burnt chocolatey notes of Cascade Stout. After two I feel like I've had a fourteen course meal though.

James.

Now that's a lot of beer you have tried. I want to try other imported beers that are popular on each country like Germany, France or any other parts of the world. So far, I tasted only a couple of few.

In Germany, honestly I saw more Beck's and Weihenstephaner than anything else. That being said this was in Berlin, which is not in the heart of German beer country. As for French beers, by far the most popular is Kronenbourg (Krono), which is not very good.

As for Corona, I've never been able to get to the bottom of the bottle without saying "yuck". For a similarly styled beer, my favorite is Sol

Edited by Hassouni (log)