• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Currying Favor

Fat Guy

JAZ's stages of curry acceptance.

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Congratulations on discovering the wonderful world of the Masala.

It's funny how the supposedly culinary leaders of the world, the French still think they can make recipes 'a la indienne' by adding a couple of teaspoons of raw, untempered curry powder into a dish.

Do you roast your spices before grinding? It makes a whole world of difference (And tends to make them easier to grind!).

It is interesting to hear the differences in availability of spices. In the UK, I have never had a problem getting most things (Probably due to the large asian population here I suppose). Supermarkets carry most things (Expensively), Health food shops tend to sell things in more economical bags rather than jars, and asian shops are the best of all. My tiny local off-license has a small rack with almost everything you would ever need (Possibly even Dill!).

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Haven't you ever wondered, maybe even just a little bit, what a curry would taste like with dill? Who knows? Maybe it might be the special secret ingredient necessary in order to "set the culinary world on fire." Or is curry too sacred to disgrace in such experimentation?

Just don't blame any bad results on my razzing! :raz:

Nice read Jaz. Thanks for sharing this experience with us.

Thanks also for the pic you chose. It is familiar to me. I remember now where and when it was shot. :smile:

Do you have a masaldaan like that in your kitchen? What do you keep in the katoris? What spices have you chosen?

Do you roast your spices before grinding? It makes a whole world of difference (And tends to make them easier to grind!).

I didn't start out toasting my spices, but I usually do now.

What is your favorite spice?

I've actually grown very fond of cardamom. I had some wonderful iced tea at a quasi-Indian restaurant that was steeped with cardamom and ginger, and I've been trying to duplicate it ever since.

Haven't you ever wondered, maybe even just a little bit, what a curry would taste like with dill? Who knows? Maybe it might be the special secret ingredient necessary in order to "set the culinary world on fire." Or is curry too sacred to disgrace in such experimentation?

You know, I've had beef stroganoff with a touch of fresh dill sprinkled over the top, and it surprised me how well it worked. So maybe a beef curry with a creamy sauce might benefit from it as well, but it still just seems wrong to me.

On the other hand, I tend to be pretty traditional with my herbs, so maybe I'm over-cautious.

Edited by JAZ (log)

I loved your article! My culinary pals don't believe me when I tell them there is no such thing as curry powder. They always tell me that McCormisks makes curry powder, so it has to be an Indian spice :(

One thing I find very easy to do in my condo is grow fresh coriander. You can get the plants at most any nursery and it grows fast and well in a container. Whenever I am ready to put a dish ont he table, I go to the balcony, snip some coriander, tear it up roughly and sprinkle it on top as a garnish. The fresh coriander is always a great contrast to the spicy dish!