• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

whole pigs

tommy

Could we get back to tommy's original question?

We received a very lucid summary of non-offal pig parts. :smile:

Reading between the lines, I think tommy was after some direction concerning offal.

For instance, when in the dining process do you serve the testicles?

Obviously, there are other questions that require answers. Answer away!

i have seen the whole suckling pig; where we deboned the pig; made a stuffing with the tougher cuts....roasted the bones and made a sauce....and then stuffed the pig with the stuffing, its loins and other tenderloins purchased from the store.

it was great and the sauce was DELICIOUS>.....it was carved up into large cross sections and people ate small pieces from the cross sections.

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

Tommy ~

the pig's offal is better cooked apart from the main carcass. Assuming this pig is purchased direct from a farm - you should be able to get anything/everthing you want. You can use the blood, lungs, heart, liver together with various meat scraps to make some killer fresh sausage. If you want traditional links, thoroughly wash the intestines and then soak them in salt water to use for casings. Now, if the pig is going to be purchased from a packer/butchershop I don't think they can give you the lungs. There was a previous thread somewhere that discussed pig lungs and there was supposedly only 1 source online located for them. They had special govt. inspection and approval.

The brains can go to make some fantastic breakfast scrapple [or can easily go into sausage]. The testicles can be roasted, but they probably should be par-boiled first to tenderize.

The feet/hocks/shanks can be smoked but whoever does the cooking will want to pull them eventually [they should get done quicker than the main carcass meats]. You could also brine/pickle the feet for a later treat.

PS - Most butchers will "Dress" the hog for you (i.e. remove the "nasty bits") for a nominal fee.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

This is a blatantly sexist comment due to its generalization, but it comes from personal experience. Women are generally more reluctant to hang around a pig carcass, picking from it. That's much less of a problem with men, for some reason.

Thus, pulling out the meat and "processing" it is best for a more civilized type of shindig.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

This is a blatantly sexist comment due to its generalization, but it comes from personal experience.  Women are generally more reluctant to hang around a pig carcass, picking from it.  That's much less of a problem with men, for some reason.

Thus, pulling out the meat and "processing" it is best for a more civilized type of shindig.

You'd be surprised.. :wink:

nextgen.jpg

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

This is a blatantly sexist comment due to its generalization, but it comes from personal experience.  Women are generally more reluctant to hang around a pig carcass, picking from it.  That's much less of a problem with men, for some reason.

Hey... Wait a minute... I am the one with the snatching, grabbing, gnawing, grease dribbling down my chin fantasy.

Edited by fifi (log)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Hey... Wait a minute... I am the one with the snatching, grabbing, gnawing, grease dribbling down my chin fantasy.

You're a The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, & Her Lover fan, too?

Maybe my fantasy doesn't go quite that far.

I just thought of something... Anyone with a whole pig on their hands might have some leftovers. There was a thread not long ago on carnitas. Jaymes put her recipe in the archive. It is good enough to conceal enough meat from the gluttonous mob just to make that recipe.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose