• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grilling Fish

awbrig

What are your favorite fish to cook on the grill?

What grills best and how do you grill it?

Do you use a marinade?

Anything else you can add?

I, for one would love to learn more re grilling fish! Thanks! :smile:

I love fresh sardines, rubbed with EVOO, salted and then eaten with a squezze of lemon.

Or else I grill whole fish stuffing them with herbs and then repeating above.

Swordfish make great kebabs seasoned with anything from Mexican to Indian to Thai flavors.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I do fileted salmon sides (half-fish) often. These have the skin on, so I usually cook them using indirect heat on the Weber. Sometimes I'll brush the top with a mixture of soy and brown sugar, sometimes just a little olive oil. Grill skin side down, covered, for about 7-9 minutes or until done.

For steaks or smaller filets, I have a grill basket that holds the fish. It makes it easy to turn them and take them off the heat without leaving any chunks behind. For white-fleshed fish, I prefer a simple olive oil rub, then a salsa verde or something similar served at the table.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Grilling baskets definitely for larger fish.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

thanks Torakris! i have all these ingredients except the salmon filet - Ive been looking to use my sake but havent had many recipes for it...

Thanks! Im going to use this at Maggiethecats this weekend!

Salmon is probably the easiest and one of the best grilling fish. Halibut fillets are one of my favorites. Tuna can be done, but the grill has to be really hot so that the outsides sear well before the inside cooks. Whole rainbow trout stuffed with, or wrapped in bacon, are a real treat. I also like clams. Toss them on the grill just until they open then serve with drawn butter.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Will Chilean Sea Bass grill well?  I have a bunch of frozen filets that I would like to eat and thought maybe about grilling them...

I've never tried it myself, but I bet it would work just fine. Brush with some evoo, clamp it in the basket, and grill on both sides until it just starts to get flaky.

I forgot to mention one of my favorite things to serve with grilled fish is some chopped red onion pickled in champagne vinegar and white pepper for 24h.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Will Chilean Sea Bass grill well?  I have a bunch of frozen filets that I would like to eat and thought maybe about grilling them...

Chilean Sea Bass is great on the grill because it is virtually impossible to overcook. Sounds crazy but the establishment I buy my fish from turned me on to putting good quality barbecue sauce on it. It actually works.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

I aint got no basket, will I still be ok?

Get a basket.

They're really inexpensive at TJ Maxx's & Marshall's.

Never owned a basket and never had a problem with fish. Make sure the fish is oiled and the grill is really hot. Another trick someone told me which works well plus adds a bit of flavor is to place several scallion on the grill and put the fish on the scallion.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Another trick someone told me which works well plus adds a bit of flavor is to place several scallion on the grill and put the fish on the scallion

That sounds nice...but then you wouldnt get the grill sears would you...but that sounds like a great idea nonetheless...

Don't have to have a basket. But I like it, especially when doing fillets as opposed to whole fish. (Also, a great excuse to go to TJ.)

In addition to scallions for a buffer between fish & grill, I like lemongrass stalks or rosemary branches (if appropriate to what else is going on).

Thanks! Im going to try this at Maggies: Chilean Sea Bass marinated lightly in EVOO and Jean Georges Vongerichten Curry Blend grilled over Lemongrass Stalks...

Also, a great excuse to go to TJ.)

I greatly dislike that store...I could come up with a lot of excuses not to go... :smile:

Ok, grilling fish.

(deep breath)

One quick plea.

Please put foil over the grates before cooking the fish. Especially if your working with a thin fillet, say, a freshly caught rainbow trout, 30 minutes out of the water. I almost cried when I checked the doneness of my first trout, only to watch it flake in half and fall into the fire.

Back to fish -

I have a NYTimes recipe from a year or so back that I love. Take a Snapper or Sea Bass (thin skinned fish) and slash some holes on both sides. Fill it with an evoo-garlic and chile pepper paste (or whatever paste you want). Place it on a bed on fennel fronds, cover with more fronds, tie up and stick on grill. No sticking nice flavor. PM me if you want more details.

-Eric

Edited by EJRothman (log)

As for fish, I have made a grilled catfish po'boy that worked very well - small chunks of catfish in a spicy dry rub on skewers.

I also grill salmon often using a technique from the Washington Post a few years ago. You slice through the flesh of a filet but not through the skin, making serving size portions. Put the salmon skin side down on a hot grill, when it is done, you can slide a spatula between the flesh and skin - the skin sticks to the grill. It works very well - you let the grill go a while longer and can scrape the burnt skin into the fire.

Also salmon on cedar planks is pretty good as well.

Bill Russell

Grouper also works well. I had a large filet the other night. I rubbed it with some Basil-infused olive oil, coarse salt and pepper. Simple, but delicious.

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

Although I am not always a huge fan of TVFN stuff, I have found Alton Brown's method for grilling salmon steaks to work really well.

Using a sharp paring or boning knife, trim bones from the cavity side of the steak. Trim the stomach flaps so that 1 side is missing about 2 inches of skin and the other, 1 inch of meat. Roll the skinless section up into the hollow of the cavity, then wrap the other around the outside to form a round resembling a filet mignon. Tie in place with 2 passes of butcher's twine. (Do not tie it too tight or fish will pop out during cooking.)

This ends up giving you a little "fillet mignon" shape of salmon that is easy to handle on the grill, and you don't have to worry about the flap parts falling off or overcooking. When you remove the fish from the heat and take off the string, the skin comes right off with it.

--

I've never really liked the cedar plank thing. And there is no way that I am going to waste salmon skin. I'd rather throw away the fish.

I grill small fish, like sardines and mackerel.

/Marlene, I guess it depends what you watch. I used to watch FN Canada. But now just DVDs.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Mediterranean sea bass (Loup de Mer), as simple as possible. Little olive oil, I do like sel gris, fresh cracked pepper. Don't like to mess with it too much.

I use a basket.

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Welcome, Paul.

Yes, I prefer baskets. Don't touch. Flip. Decant. That's it.