• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Molto Mario at La Spiga

I had lunch at La Spiga and found out the Mario Battali is in town filming an episode of Molto Mario that will feature, in part, La Spiga. Apparently they filmed most of the dinner service last night and will be in the retaurant tomorrow from 8-11 am, to do some in-kitchen work. I'm contemplating going over for an early lunch to see if I can catch Mario on his way out.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

*$&%*#@^#%!!!!

:unsure: Is that a good "*$&%*#@^#%!!!!" or a bad "*$&%*#@^#%!!!!", and in regards to what or whom???

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

*$&%*#@^#%!!!!

:unsure: Is that a good "*$&%*#@^#%!!!!" or a bad "*$&%*#@^#%!!!!", and in regards to what or whom???

oh, just largely because 1) I don't work in Seattle so can't go to lunch at La Spiga/Salumi/you name it good spot, and 2) I never have celebrity run-ins :-( ..like, what? am I gonna run into Jacques/Tony/Mario on the eastside somewhere?!? and 3) I wanna see Mario!!

Born Free, Now Expensive

I have been meaning to hit La Spiga for a while now since I hear it is top drawer.  This only makes me want to go more.

Ben

It's interesting, I usually get a fairly split response about La Spiga from friends and acquaintances.

Personally, I love it, and I am kicking myself for not going last night, because I was seriously considering it, obviously not knowing about the Mario thang.

I had a private party there three years ago when I finished my graduate degree. Pietro, Sabrina & Sachia are three of the most warm and welcoming people you could ever meet. They were awesome about planning with me and the co-party-thrower. They made great suggestions for primi, secondi, dolce and vino, but were also very accommodating for special items we wanted to have included.

I've eaten there many, many times, and have always loved it. When you go, get Pietro started on his selection of Italian wines (he has some nice ones you won't see often around here), and he won't steer you wrong.

The big complaint is the SERVICE, which is usually terrible.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Yeah, the service at La Spiga proves that human cloning is a reality.  It's another version of the same stoned actor/model each time.

I believe there are two strains, because some have Italian accents....

YYG is right, they do a great job with special events. My friend had his rehearsal dinner was there and it was fantastic, plus the service is a lot better at regular service.

The big complaint is the SERVICE, which is usually terrible.

My pet peeve (and the reason I won't go there any more): the waiters don't seem to understand that pork fat is not part of the vegetable food group. They use pork fat in the bread, and don't seem to understand that that disqualifies their sandwiches from being vegetarian.

- S

• 4 months later...

The episode of Mario's Ciao America show that features Salumi and La Spiga will be on Food Network tonight at 10:30...

I thought the show was pretty good. Always funny to see how things/places one is familiar with are portrayed on TV (Gelatiamo only a few blocks from La Spiga? :blink:). I'm going to have to go by Spiga and ask Pietro why he didn't even get a mention. Where's the love?...

I went for you.

A cold sandwich of Dario salami on a giant roll with onions and peppers. Dario is a non-garlic salami spiced with lots of pepper and mace. The second half will be dinner.

Also picked up some pancetta for whatever strikes me this week - pasta, soup, breakfast...

Mama Batali was very pleased with last night's show.

I like Molto Mario and Ciao America. They're both good shows that pack a lot of info into a half hour. There's some great food on both.

I do think that Mario's ego shines through, though, especially on this last episode (which I finally watched on tape). I mean, he spends like 2 minutes on La Spiga, a minute on Gelatiamo, 30 seconds on Pike Place, and the rest of the show on Salumi and his family food fest. Don't get me wrong. Salumi's great. But he could have cut down some of the time of Mario in the kitchen doing this and that and hit another place or two or shown more from La Spiga. And note that Mario really seems to be unable to not be the center of attention. He can't even let his dad explain his own salumi, Mario has to take over. He did the same thing in the SF episode.

I think ever since I saw that show he did where he took the two high school kids who hope to be chefs into the kitchen, it's been very obvious that Mario can't stand to not be in charge. (He was totally unhelpful with those kids and instead used it as an opportunity to just look down at amateurs.) I'm sure it helps him in many circumstances, including his Molto Mario show. But he needs to be a little more Seattle and a little less NY on Ciao America and let people show what they know and do. For all Bobby Flay's problems, he's much better at that on his FoodNation show. And he's probably a native NYer!

I still enjoy the show. It's one of their top several. But Mario, lighten up!

PS Almost forgot to mention. Did you notice where the big thing of oil came from for the basting liquid? Safeway. Mario's family apparently shops at Safeway. Just some side trivia.

Edited by ExtraMSG (log)

I don't get to Salumi for lunch very often (it's a bus ride and involves taking longer than an hour for lunch generally). The few times I've been, I can never get beyond the Italian sausage sandwich or the lamb sausage sandwich, both of which I find incredibly flavorful.

Does anyone have any other Salumi favorites? I've been tempted to order the hot meat sampler or the cold meat sampler but haven't yet succumbed. Comments?

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

Does anyone have any other Salumi favorites?

The porchetta sandwich. End of story. :wink:

I'm with tighe. I also love the oxtails, but I don't like the roll they usually make it on. Ask them to put the oxtails on the baguette. Actually, just a pile of oxtail meat with bread on the side is even better.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I'm with tighe. I also love the oxtails, but I don't like the roll they usually make it on. Ask them to put the oxtails on the baguette. Actually, just a pile of oxtail meat with bread on the side is even better.

I too love Salumi dearly, but what's the deal with their bread? Do they get it from Essential Bakery or Grand Central? It too tastes like it could've come from Safeway (well, that might be an exagerration). But I feel that food as good as Salumi's is done a disservice by one dimensional realtively tasteless bread.

Dahlia Bakery does a great ficelle that would do Salumi's meats great honor.

As for my faves...meatball sandwich (must be all those meatball heros I ate as a kid in NY). The frozen meat sauces are incredible (lamb, pork, oxtail). I always buy their entrees to take home for dinner. The soups are always interesting & tasty too.

Funny how these things work: last Monday, I went down to Salumi to pick up lunch and dinner (takeout). But they're closed (OF COURSE!) on Monday. So I went again yesterday and succeeded in my Salumi expedition. That was when I decided to write up a blog review.

Then I went home & in the course of visiting a few food blogs (this one was vaneats.com), I found egullet.com. Then in turn I found the NW Food thread & this discussion of Salumi.

So I thought, what better place to put a link to my review than here?

Salumi: Seattle Redoubt of Batali Family Food Empire

• 2 weeks later...

It's ALL good. . . I have never made it there early enough to get my little paws on gnocchi, which is a bummer. I always go there thinking I'm just going to buy lunch, but once I get there I realize it would just be WRONG to go home without any prosciutto, pancetta, and/or fennel sausage.

Best thing I've had so far, though, was a monster-size sandwich of prosciutto, goat cheese, and figs. It was a summer thing, and the English guy made it for me. . . I must have winked at him or something, b/c I think I had about a pound of meat on that sammich.

Drawback, as ever--and as many have noted--sad, sad bread. (You know, it might not actually be that bad; it's just unworthy of its companions and suffers by comparison.)

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians