• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Phillywine.com and Philly Wine Brats

sara

Hi

Has anyone been to the tastings sponsered by Phillywine.com or Philly Wine Brats? They have several interesting ones coming up that I'm considering going to, and I'm wondering what the crowd is like? I'm 26 and hoping to meet people 25-45...are these the events for me?

Anyone who's been, I would really appreciate your comments. Thanks

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Herb--Which group did you hear that about? Phillywine, or wine brats?

thanks

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Hi Sara:

You'll meet more "young folks" at Wine Brats. It's their stated purpose to "take the intimidation out of wine tasting" for younger consumers. The group was founded in California by three young gentleman from wine making families (including Gundlach-Bunschu and Sebastiani). I guess they realized that as the older wine drinking consumers died off, there would be no market left for their products if all the folks their age drank beer, spirits and bottled malt beverages. The PhillyWine tastings draw a more mixed age group but certainly within the parameters you have stated.

IMHO the PhillyWine tastings tend to be better and have more interesting wines to show. The Wine Brats tastings are only as interesting as whomever is sponsoring that day's event. Since smaller boutique wineries rarely have the amount of product to give away, no less a "marketing and promotions" department to pursue these sort of events, the Wine Brat events are often sponsored by Sutter-Home, Beringer, etc. "refineries-not-wineries" that can afford both to give away their product and advertise with full page shiny four color advertisements in Wine Spectator et al. Take that for what it's worth. That's also not to say that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed myself at Wine Brat events. There was a great Spanish wine tasting at Cuba Libre a couple of months ago that was fabulous with a great selection of wines and a real value for the cost of admission. However, I would carefully read the Wine Brat announcements to see what wines will be featured at that evening's event. I hardly want to spend $30.00 to try the whole line of wines that I can buy for $6.99/bottle. Caveat Emptor!

Check this link HERE for local tastings, classes, etc. Let me know if you're interesting in attending any particular ones, as I'm always seeking partners in crime. :wink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Went to one of the phillywine events last year and thought that it was very educational, tasted about 12 wines from rhone. As for you young 'uns, the crowd was more baby boomer than gen x/y.

Has anyone been to the tastings at Savona on Friday evenings?

Thanks for all the info guys!

I am planning to go to the Philly wine events on this coming Wednesday (Napa wines) and July 9 (Sonoma) --it's a 2fr package--both for $55.

Katie--are you going to those? I had the same initial impression you confirmed--the wines for the Brats events seem cheap--why spend $30 to taste some Jacobs Creek or Wyndham? But the stuff at the N.3rd events looks quality...

-- William Grimes

Katie--are you going to those? I had the same initial impression you confirmed--the wines for the Brats events seem cheap--why spend $30 to taste some Jacobs Creek or Wyndham? But the stuff at the N.3rd events looks quality...

okay, i give in. i'll say what i shoulda said before.

it is my impression from everyone that wine brats functions as a singles group / dating service not offficially, but informally for people between 25-40 or so.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Herb, thanks for your candor--it is sorta what I was trying to figure out (tho I'm not sure if you meant 'dating service' in a positive or negative sense exactly).

In some ways, that's a reason to try the Brats sometime--tho I may wait for a slightly more interesting event.

But in general, I'd prefer occasions that combine quality wine & quality people (and quality single people even better!). I guess I'll see if Philly wine is like that at my first event on Wednesday.

Anyone else planning to sign up by tomorrow and go?

-- William Grimes

Herb, thanks for your candor--it is sorta what I was trying to figure out (tho I'm not sure if you meant 'dating service' in a positive or negative sense exactly).

i meant it in a negative sense, but i should probably retract that.

In some ways, that's a reason to try the Brats sometime--tho I may wait for a slightly more interesting event.

that's why i would retract my previous connotation.

But in general, I'd prefer occasions that combine quality wine & quality people (and quality single people even better!).  I guess I'll see if Philly wine is like that at my first event on Wednesday.

yup, except i don't care particularly much about wine other than it taste palatable, and any wine i would come close to is at least that much.

tell me and us how it goes.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 4 weeks later...