• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktail Evangelism

DrinkBoy

hi Robert--

looked at bar.tv and it really doesn't appear to have much content to it... overdesigned... and what's there seems somewhat dubious... I really don't think commanding Bombay Sapphire as the gin for the "classic Martini" is right... Gin certainly didn't taste like that back in the old days, so it's not there for historical authenticity purposes... Is it there b/c of some sponsorship deal, or just b/c the site designers happen to like it? I get the feeling that there is an ulterior motive... but no firm evidence... but I'm not likely to go back either since there isn't much content...

It is really a pity that hotwired's Cocktail pages haven't been producing fresh content since '97 or 98... that was cocktail lore worth reading... and it remains a spectacular reference.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I always avoid denoting specific "brands" on any of the recipes on my site. The only exceptions are if the drink was specifically created "by" or "for" a particular brand (such as the "Dark'N Stormy", or "Bacardi Cocktail") or when I feel like there really is a difference between the use of a particular brand versus the general category (such as "Cointreau" instead of just "Triple Sec")

Doing a "whois" on Bar.tv shows that it apparently is a endevor by Bacardi :->

-Robert

www.DrinkBoy.com

Welcome DrinkBoy! Since you're in Seattle, it's too bad you just missed my last eGullet cocktail party. It was a lot of fun and I would have enjoyed hearing your take on some of the cocktails I served and what your favorites are.

I completely agree about the sad state of cocktails in general, especially in restaurants - even at the high end. Everything is mixed too sweet and nobody stocks Maraschino behind the bar :angry:

Yes, welcome DrinkBoy!

I can attest to the fun had at NSM's cocktail party. You would have been very impressed with the Aviation's that he mixed up!

Practice Random Acts of Toasting