• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

help ! need ideas for a hen night !

I am organising a surprise bridal shower for mid-to-late July. The bride-to-be would not appreciate the subtle brilliance of Blackpool, Brighton et al. Logistically it's too difficult to organise a trip out of town. The lady in question is not a terribly adventurous eater, but as the organiser I am hell-bent on a place where food and service are top notch.

So...I would really appreciate ideas for place in London where a group of six to eight can have an elegant dinner somewhere really beautiful and girly, where the chef & staff would take good care of us.

Thanks !!

hummm, not sure about the connaught. i went on saturday and didn't think it was very girly. it was also really quiet....

i'd suggest claridges over the connaught and would consider the ivy (don't all shout at once) i know the food isn't great, but i think it's a great place for a girly lunch/supper.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

or les trois garcons. i've been told that the food has improved and there's no doubt that - with its waterfall chandeliers and tiara-bedecked stuffed animals - it's a gorgeously (though decadently) girlie spot.

and since it's in the wild east (or eastside as we're supposed to now say...) a spot of bad behaviour won't go amiss.

m

What about the River Cafe? If it's a nice evening can sit outside...

Speaking of Hen Nights - if it existed, would you all go to a luxury spa/restaurant/hotel in Blackpool to celebrate the last morsel of single-hood???

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

How about Bibenbum in SW7? The food is lovely, the service is great, lots of real comfort in a beautiful, summery room and they are very good at coping with slightly larger parties. Don't forget the amazing views out of the window - to the Chanel shop across the street! I know it is a Conran restaurant but it is much underrated. Try it for lunch and see what I mean.

Magnolia, its me again. I just want to add two things to my Bibendum post;

1. I think the chef there is still Matthew Harris, brother of Henry Harris at Racine.

2. The fabulous Bliss Spa is about two minutes away, if you were going to totaly girl out for manicures etc before dinner.

Both have websites but I am unable to do the clicky thingy.

Bliss Spa

Bibendum

Not being a girly, a can't really vouch for these venues, except to say that Matthew is indeed the head chef at Bibendum and that it is in my opinion the lovliest dining room in the capital. The food on my last visit in autumn of last year for lunch was outstanding, as was the service which if memory serves was mostly male so you might enjoy that on a hen night I suppose.

Thanks for all of this ! Bibendum seemed like it was a great idea...except I think the prices at dinner are a bit high for one or two in this crowd, and I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable. I might try Racine though...what do you think Andy? I know it's a favourite of yours... I haven't been there. Would it be conducive to a party of six or eight? Perhaps I shouldnt tell anyone it's a hen party, just a girls' night out -lest they get "the wrong idea".

Circe - this bride-to-be has been to Trois Garcons, but I do like the Italian idea...and I'm intrigued by your post, on the dinner with a view thread, about Babylon.

Now I have some good direction to go in. Thanks all ! And keep 'em coming.

Edited by magnolia (log)

A bit cheaper and Italian ? How about "Vasco Piero's Pavillion" in Poland St.

Totally unreconstructed 1970's Italian charm makes it about as camp as a row of pink tents. Great fun and decent, straightforward cooking.

Gareth

...and I'm intrigued by your post, on the dinner with a view thread, about Babylon.

oh yes, and in the ladies' lavs, what looks like a mirror covered in running water is actually a space through which you can view the men's urinals. :shock:

excellent hen party material, id've thought ...

m

and, just read on lastminute.com that they're doing a two course dinner for £15.50.

m

Yeah but you knoooooow its going to be goats cheese salad to start followed by grilled salmon fillet

these special "bargains" always are...

in fact I'd go far to say the whole aim is to entice you into a place and then present you with a selection so dire that you are forced to go a la carte in order to avoid the embarassment of having to leave...

actually i suppose that's quite canny business!

J

Edited by Jon Tseng (log)
More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

I might try Racine though...what do you think Andy?

Racine is a very lively and informal restaurant, reasonably priced and they do have a table for 6 in the main room, you'd need to check if they could do 8. It might be worth giving Henry a call if you have something particular in mind to see what he can do for you. I'd tell him its a hen party, you dont want to feel as though you have to be on your best behaviour all night do you?

If the room is important, forget Racine. What about Quaglino's? Elegant room. Eclectic food acceptable to everybody, centrally situated, not over pricey.

Failing that I'd take Circe's advice and stick to upmarlet Italian-Zafferano or one of those.

Andy,IMO the most beautiful room is The Criterion Brasserie. The food is totally ordinary but the room......... :rolleyes:

What about Aperitivo in Beak Street. It is Italian but you order like tapas, i.e. you order lots of dishes to share. Atmosphere is quite busy so they won't mind a crowd.

Alternatively, for a traditional Italian waiter experience try Caraffini on Lower Sloane Street. They love to make a fuss of their customers, especially the girls, so I think you would have a good time. Food is standard Italian fare and very good.