• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bottled Water Threatens Environment

I heard part of a report (on NPR?) recently about re-using plastic water bottles being not-a-good-thing because they leach toxins with continued use.

Oh great. I have a large water bottle that I routine re-fill with the Alhambra water at the office. I thought I was being environmentally sensitive, but now I find I could be jeopardizing my health? Is there no winning?!?

I keep one of those Brita 8 Qt. dispensers in my fridge. Gets rid of chlorine and nasties but does not remove fluoride.

brita.jpg

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I heard part of a report (on NPR?) recently about re-using plastic water bottles being not-a-good-thing because they leach toxins with continued use.

Oh great. I have a large water bottle that I routine re-fill with the Alhambra water at the office. I thought I was being environmentally sensitive, but now I find I could be jeopardizing my health? Is there no winning?!?

Buy yourself a pretty cheap Nalgene polycarbonate bottle to use for water. No leaching and dishwasher safe, which you want, cuz bugs from your mouth will take residence in your water bottle eventually. Polycarbonate rocks, favorite in lab, favorite at home. And please people, don't microwave stuff in plastics that aren't labelled "microwave safe" like yogurt, cottage cheese containers and their ilk. Not good for you.

regards,

trillium