• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"New Twist on Tuna"

Fat Guy

Just got a press release that begins . . .

+++

Bumble Bee® 'Touch of Lemon' is the buzz for lemon-enhanced foods that are gaining popularity among consumers and food professionals alike. Take renowned food expert-author and lemon enthusiast, Lori Longbotham, who says the new chunk light tuna -- launched nationwide and currently the only canned tuna on the market to incorporate just the taste of lemon -- tops her list of favorites for food products enhanced with the distinct natural flavor of lemon.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Well, Lori Longbotham. You've got to respect that then.

edit:

I've just googled "Lori Longbotham". It's a real person. Some kind of lemon buff apparently. :laugh:

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

OK, I don't like any of the beverages flavored with lemon..I'm in the "tastes like Pledge" camp on that one. But, I can understand the reasoning..Consumer Sally is at a vending machine, prefers her DC with lemon, so she chooses a competitor instead of Diet Coke... WAIT, now DC comes with lemon, so she buys it...and anohter sale is made. Most people at a vending machine don't have access to a lemon wedge.

However, if you are opening the can of tuna, most likely you are at a kitchen counter, where the proximity and aquisition of a lemon wedge is in your favor..so why add lemon flavoring? :wacko:

Edited by Kim WB (log)

And, presumably, you are going to drain off most of the liquid in the container into the kitchen sink. There goes the lemon juice.

However, I do like lemon in my tuna salad and will add a squirt of juice and a bit of zest if I have lemons on hand, a tip I picked up working in a country club kitchen.

I'd rather have the tuna they were marketing with added chile peppers on the left coast a couple years ago. Never did make it out east...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

a tip I picked up working in a country club kitchen.

Have you ever revealed this before? If not, you owe us a whole thread full of stories.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

From the Ever thought of becoming an chef? thread:

I thought about it for years. Most of my childhood. Draw what you want to be when you grow up? I'd draw a chef (a thin chef, which drew ridicule from other kids, as I've always been heavy). Anyway, my mom made me go to "real" college before culinary school. Then I worked for a weekend as a trial in a country club kitchen. The chef wanted to hire me, I said "Thanks but I've learned my lesson." Boy did my feet hurt. Like someone else said, I enjoyed cooking too much to do it as a job.

I worked in the Garde Manger section during the day, which meant lots of lunches of sandwiches and salads. And I worked the cocktail hour of a wedding - plating passed hors d'oerves. I learned so much in just a weekend -- more than putting lemon in tuna -- about garnishing, cleaning, safe food handling, etc., even about family meals, lots of south American things. And most of the guys were so great. My parents belonged to that club, so I would see them again serving at dinners (usually special holiday buffets, when they would be outside the kitchen) and we always said hello to each other.

I remember interviewing with Chef -- his aggrevation with culinary school grads calling and being disappointed with the pay offered to the point of not wanting to come in. He didn't like that they weren't willing to pay their dues.

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Maybe you all overestimate the American public. Having a lemon on hand may be asking too much from consumers who eat their tuna fish from the can or in a sandwich on presliced bread with only the addition of "sandwich spread" that has a refrigerator shelf life twice that of a dog.

All I look for when buying tuna fish is that when canned, it be canned in olive oil. I will add that I'm a relatively new convert to that and for years settled for tuna packed in vegetable oil because of the price. The convenience of lemon in the can is not such a bad idea, although it leaves out the option of not having the lemon flavor at times.

I've bought canned fish in Brittany -- I think it was sardines -- that were packed with a slice or two of lemon. I seem to recall some other things in the can such as maybe a carrot slice, herbs or capers. The lemon slice was at least half dissolved and I mashed it in with the fish when making salad or sardine "rillettes" as a spread.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I'd rather have the tuna they were marketing with added chile peppers on the left coast a couple years ago.  Never did make it out east...

Mark, Korean grocers often have tinned tuna with chiles and gojuchang and all manner of spicy garlicky goodness.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

However, if you are opening the can of tuna, most likely you are at a kitchen counter, where the proximity and  aquisition of a lemon wedge is in your favor..so why add lemon flavoring?  :wacko:

This stuff is probably in one of the foil cat food bags that you tear the top off.

+++

Bumble Bee® 'Touch of Lemon'™ is the buzz for lemon-enhanced foods that are gaining popularity among consumers and food professionals alike. Take renowned food expert-author and lemon enthusiast, Lori Longbotham, who says the new chunk light tuna -- launched nationwide and currently the only canned tuna on the market to incorporate just the taste of lemon -- tops her list of favorites for food products enhanced with the distinct natural flavor of lemon.

Only in America! I would definitely rather buy this product than open a "regular" can, cut open a fresh lemon, and squeeze some juice on it!! :wacko:

Even more amazing is that it probably will sell; people seeing it will think it';s a "great idea".

N.B. I HATE it when they put lemon in a Diet Coke without asking!!

How about tuna in Lemon Diet Coke?

How about tuna in Lemon Diet Coke?

No, Jimmyo, it's the other way around!!

Just blend it and make a Slushy drink.

"You know. For the kids."

+++

Bumble Bee® 'Touch of Lemon'? is the buzz for lemon-enhanced foods that are gaining popularity among consumers and food professionals alike. Take renowned food expert-author and lemon enthusiast, Lori Longbotham, who says the new chunk light tuna -- launched nationwide and currently the only canned tuna on the market to incorporate just the taste of lemon -- tops her list of favorites for food products enhanced with the distinct natural flavor of lemon.

Only in America!

Not at all, I've mentioned French sardines flavored with lemon.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

My husband and I recently had a possum problem in our yard. Seems the pesky possum had a taste for the fish in our pond. Ate four in as many days. We set out a humane trap loaded with tuna fish. Caught pesky possum and brought him to the woods near our local senior citizen center. Now, if we had lemon flavored tuna fish, we would have had a puckered pesky possum!

:laugh:

However, if you are opening the can of tuna, most likely you are at a kitchen counter, where the proximity and  aquisition of a lemon wedge is in your favor..so why add lemon flavoring?  :wacko:

This stuff is probably in one of the foil cat food bags that you tear the top off.

I think of canned tuna as "cat food for humans" anyway, so this isn't far off the mark :biggrin: .

I often add lemon juice to drained canned tuna anyhow, to take away that "tinny" flavor.

I've also added wasabi to the mayo when making tuna salad and it helped take away that "canned" flavor as well. Or maybe it just totally masks it... :blink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

On a related but different topic, has anyone tried the new premium tuna in the gold can from (I think) Bumble Bee. It really is a superior product (if you eat canned tuna). I had stopped eating it because I really didn't like the quality. This has changed all that for me.

Something else that's makes a really nice tuna salad is a jar of the Stonewall Farms artichoke-caper relish. Or if it's not too hot to boil water, cook up some orichette and toss it with both the tuna and the relish. Also in the camp of tuna salad sandwiches with both wasabi and pickled ginger. Lemon doesn't really grab me here.

Will have to look for the premium gold. Probably cheaper than oil-packed imports.