• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food related collections

WHT

For some time I have collected and restored old vending machines. Mostly gumball units with a few games and parking meters. I wish I had more room for larger fun items but they will have to wait until we get a bigger place.

Some of the candy machines are for products that are no longer made. Like an Acorn vender for Wrigley’s tab gum. Short thick sticks of gum from back in the late 40’s. Most of the items are from the 30’s through early 70’s. On occasion I have done ornate silver filigree and stone faced units or custom painted and plated as gifts.

Living hard will take its toll...

Kitchen linens from the 20's-40's, including some crocheted potholders in odd shapes, flower shapes (complete with petals), cooks, aprons, etc (yes, all of these are potholders). Plus some embroidered and appliqued linen tea towels, some of which are rather "risque," considering that my grandmother made them!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I collect Victoria's Secret's  thongs, have a collection of 58!

oops did we say food related? :blink:

LOL!

Yes, Off off-Topic Madame Moderator!

(How many are black?)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Matchbooks are the only thing I actively collect in my daily live. I have everything from a diner in Hammond, IN to the this old French bar in Soho in London, where I went the day I was laid off....

Love old linens-- my father bought some Parisian linens from the 20s a couple of years ago.

And silver. I think Maggie has got me started on a fine hobby.

Oh, I collect crumbs, but I do that without even trying.

I collect Victoria's Secret's  thongs, have a collection of 58!

oops did we say food related? :blink:

Unles you are using them to make soup...

I have an interesting collection of antique barware. Everything from cocktail shakers (I even have a "travel" one that collapses into its own leather case!), to schnapps glasses, champagne flutes/saucers, a Deco set of Polka dotted Pilsner glasses, and my personal faves, a set of etched brandy snifters that have hunting scenes on them that belonged to my mom. Actually a lot of this stuff belonged to mom - she was a bit of a pack rat. A trait I unfortunately inherited! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

condiments

Sounds good, what types? I know that some collect hot sauces, mustards or pepper corns. What exactly are you speaking of?

I used to collect 30's and 40's California pottery, mostly Bauer Ware and Fiesta, but also some Harlequin. I used to pick up pieces for almost nothing at garage sales, but the dealers have multiplied like cockroaches and prices have gone way up, so it's not as fun anymore. I still love the stuff, but now I spend my money on cookbooks and pastry equipment.

Pie Birds.

Wha?

I was wondering that too.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

You don't know what pie birds are???? :shock:

Pie birds are little (usually) hollow ceramic doohickies, (usually) shaped like baby birds in desperate need of feeding (think wide open, upturned mouth). You put one on top of the pie filling, under the crust, with the open beak poking up and out through a hole in the center of the crust. It functions as a chimney to vent out the steam, so that your top crust won't get all gummy from interior moisture, won't crack, and . . . what else, Maggie??

As for me, I collect weight. :laugh:

Teapots. Many, many lovely tea pots. Mainly from 1900-1950, rustic clay pots and everyday pots, not fine china. My top one is worth about $600, but most are undated, of little value except to me. I have about 60.

I collect ceramic items that look like food. For example, I have a soup tureen that is shaped like a tomato, among other items. It's fun to look for these things in antique shops.

Huge collection of menus...right now they are all in the bottom desk drawer. What does everyone else do with their menu collections? (other than start a web site)?

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

You don't know what pie birds are????  :shock:

Pie birds are little (usually) hollow ceramic doohickies, (usually) shaped like baby birds in desperate need of feeding (think wide open, upturned mouth).  You put one on top of the pie filling, under the crust, with the open beak poking up and out through a hole in the center of the crust.  It functions as a chimney to vent out the steam, so that your top crust won't get all gummy from interior moisture,  won't crack, and . . . what else, Maggie??

As for me, I collect weight.  :laugh:

Suzanne: You've covered the subject very well.

It's my understanding that, British in origin, pie birds were used, mostly, for meat and game pies. These are thicker and higher than, say, yer everyday apple pie, and need a vent that reaches deeper into the filling.

Oh yeah, silver. I collect silver. I really need to learn how to post pictures here. My newest acquisition (Thanks, Mummy!)is a late 19th century sterling piece with screws and vise thingies that give it a truly Victorian/Kinky appearance. I was stumped as to its purpose and had to give in and call the Font of All Knowlege.

Victorians had gizmos for all occasions. This Thing clamps onto the leg of a bird so it can be held neatly during carving. It works, but I never thought I needed one!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Griswold cast iron

I don't really "collect" like a true collector, but keep buying skillets (and, if I can find them, waffle irons, Dutch ovens, muffin pans, etc) even though I have about 8 I use every day and another 10 or so in the basement awaiting 'restoration.'

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Old forks with handles made of bone - those big forks you use when you're carving a roast.  I don't think they make bone handled forks anymore and the old ones are real beauties.

That's true.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM