• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Port

foodie52

How specific? My general practice is dark chocolate based desserts with ruby and nut based desserts with tawny. But we have a zillion pastry chef professional types who will be far more qualified.

Cheese. Blue cheese, stilton, a sharp cheddar, grana padana

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Port and ????

I need suggestions, please!

Stilton. Walnuts. Port. In other words...heaven on earth.

P.S. This combo will probably be best with an aged vintage port or a 10 yr plus Tawny. Cheers!

For a ruby port, try a combination of dark chocolate with pears. I stumbled on this several years ago when I was preparing a cheese plate (soft, semi-sweet cheeses like Brie can work well with port). I assembled the cheese plate and decided to also cut up a Bosc pear.

As the evening wore on, the pear was left and I brought out some dense, dark chocolate (Valhrona). The combination of dark, bittersweet chocolate, Bosc pear, and port was amazing.

I have since gone on to experiment with the pairing by making miniature flourless chocolate cakes with a pear compote and a port-wine reduction glaze.

Astonishing!

When does the grappa get served?  :wacko:

Uurrrrm!

You've got me there!

I've always had grappa after dessert, cheese, fruit, you name it. Grappa last. Then I stumble home.

slowfood/slowwine