• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beaujolais Cru

baruch

purchased a '00 Dom. du Granit Moulin-A-Vent Appellation Moulin-A-Vent Contrôllée, Alfred Gino Bertolla, Vigneron - La Rochelle 69840 Chénas - France

question: was/is this beaujolais produced in moulin-a-vent or in chénas??????????

The vineyard is in Moulin-a-Vent, the winery is in Chenas. Is is common for Beaujolais producers to own vineyards in more than one Cru. They are still estate bottled.

that i understand. however, with the 'cru' being located in the Moulin-a-Vent area, vs. the "winery" being located in Chénas, it does get a little fuzzy as to exactly what cru this is, n'est-ce pas??

Not at all. They have been making wine this way for many decades. It is part of their way of life. As long as the vineyard is respected I do not see a problem or any confusion. You know you are only talking about a few kilometers. Beaujolais is a small place.

baruch - -How is it any more confusing than buying a Gevrey-Chambertin from a producer located in Morey-St-Denis -- Robert Groffier, for example?

who said THAT wasn't confusing, s'il vous plaît? :raz:

• 3 weeks later...

Had a blind tasting this evening and was reminded of this thread. We tasted what turned out to be a Burgundy (Santenay 1er cru "Santenay Maladiere" from Prieur Brunet 1996) but I guessed it was a cru level Beaujolais. I blame the raw onion I'd accidentally eaten in a salad a couple of hours beforehand... never again!