• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Striped Bass on the Rocks?

cinghiale

Things keep looking cloudier for Neil Stein's empire. Saturday's Inky reported that Huge Debts put Restaurateur in the Soup, citing a figure of $7MM. I, for one, certainly hope he can extricate himself from the morass created by the Avenue B debacle. I'm no pro, but given the notoriously tight margins in the restaurant industry, that seems like a tough nut to make, even if chipped back in bankruptcy court.

I've know Neil since the late 70's when we had restaurants across the street from each other. He seems to go through this sort of thing every once in a while, and then comes out of it, everything fine. I'm hoping that happens again this time. He's done much for the Philadelphia Restaurant Scene. Way more than most.

In the mean time, with tips and all, I'd hate to be a server in a restaurant being run by the IRS.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

In the mean time, with tips and all, I'd hate to be a server in a restaurant being run by the IRS.

Didn't the IRS attempt to run Joe Conforti's house of comfort in Nevada for a while?

IRS took it in lieu of taxes, the state wouldn't allow them to shut it down due to economic impact and plant closing laws. So, the Feds had to run it themselves and lost money doing it. Eventually bulldozed the place.

Only people in the history of the world who couldn't make money running a cat house.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

If the IRS can't make money running a cat house, then that doesn't bode well for my continued employment, I guess :blink:

However, my understanding from the inside of this fiasco, is that the only thing the court has done at this point is basically take the check signing pen out of Mr. Stein's hands. The other three restaurants are still up and functioning, I am still ordering and receiving beer, wine and liquor, and I haven't heard that we're closing any time soon. This too shall pass, I suspect, as Holly alluded to. Holly is also correct in stating that my much maligned proprietor has done a great deal to make Philadelphia a dining destination. It is my fervent hope that this will all blow over soon, and that my continued efforts to save the company money in the Beverage Department will do its small part in helping the bottom line.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Homer: Lesse, I'll have four tax burgers, one IRS-wich, withhold the

lettuce, four dependent-sized sodas, and a FICA-ccino.

Kid: Fill out schedule B.  You should receive your burgers in six

to eight weeks.

You see? There's a Simpsons quote for EVERYTHING.

If the IRS can't make money running a cat house, then that doesn't bode well for my continued employment, I guess  :blink:

However, my understanding from the inside of this fiasco, is that the only thing the court has done at this point is basically take the check signing pen out of Mr. Stein's hands.  The other three restaurants are still up and functioning, I am still ordering and receiving beer, wine and liquor, and I haven't heard that we're closing any time soon.  This too shall pass, I suspect, as Holly alluded to.  Holly is also correct in stating that my much maligned proprietor has done a great deal to make Philadelphia a dining destination.  It is my fervent hope that this will all blow over soon, and that my continued efforts to save the company money in the Beverage Department will do its small part in helping the bottom line.

i would have to agree with katie.

although he may have significantly overreached from a

business viewpoint with avenue b on the heels of

fishmarket, the tales of neil stein's untimely demise are

grossly exaggerated.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.