• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your favorite hot/spicy snack?

stagis

This post and those responding to it have been moved from here.

Legal crack! The road to hell and all that....

I set out at once for the Korean health food store.  They had never heard of emping.  Next I tried the imported foods section of the grocery store.  No luck there either.  Finally amazon: Emping Pedas (Sweet Hot Padi Oats)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I set out at once for the Korean health food store.  They had never heard of emping.  Next I tried the imported foods section of the grocery store.  No luck there either.  Finally amazon: Emping Pedas (Sweet Hot Padi Oats)

Well, if one noted the name of the stuff on the package that Anna N posted, one would see "Emping Manis Pedas", which is MALAY, not Korean.  :wink:

p.s. "Padi" is also a Malay word, meaning rice - as still growing on the plant in the field.**

p.p.s. "Emping"¶¶ (in older-style Malay, properly "ĕmping") itself means "young rice crushed and cooked" (Winstedt)

**ETA: versus "nasi", which would be "rice" after it has been harvested and processed (and cooked, in most contexts)

¶¶ Google translate gives it as "flakes" which is not quite right.

Edited by huiray (log)

Heck Jo, I said they were addictive not healthy!

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Heck Jo, I said they were addictive not healthy!

Actually according to the wikipedia article rotuts posted it looks like emping are quite healthy...not counting the fat and sugar in the sweetened version.

Sadly, if it wasn't obvious, there is no Malay health food store in hiking distance.

Host's note:  this comment led to a discussion that continues here.

Edited by Smithy (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou