• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your favorite hot/spicy snack?

stagis

Favorite easily available spicy snack: Spicy Hot Nuts (peanuts coated in extremely spicy seasonings), a messy and inelegant food. I can only eat a handful or two.

No can of Spicy Nuts is safe when I'm around... I can eat an embarrasing number of handfuls of these things.

I love these things too. I always forget how hot they can be so I eat a handful, feel nothing, eat some more and proceed to find myself gasping for breath. That delay gets me every time.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 2 years later...

Has anyone tried Pringles Jalapeño flavor?

They also have limited edition Pringles Jalapeno Cheddar.

I was just curious as to what kind of "kick" they had.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I love snacks and spicy one are some of my fav.

5. Utz NC BBQ potato chips

4. Charles Jalepeno potato chips

3. Wasabi Peas

2. Tim's cascade Jalepeno potato chips (arguabily the best potato chips on the planet)

1. Hot and spicy pork rinds (I don't care which brand, they are all good).

Snyder's sourdough pretzels dipped in sriracha.

Zapp's Crawtators.

Blair's Cheddar potato chips.

Chile Today Hot Tamale pretzel nuggets, especially Habanero or Chipotle (I had to google to see who made these, I haven't seen them in a few years).

Has anyone tried Pringles Jalapeño flavor?

They also have limited edition Pringles Jalapeno Cheddar.

I was just curious as to what kind of "kick" they had.

Eh. Not a whole lot. The jalapeno flavoring has a pretty unsavory aftertaste that seems to linger for ever. Ick.

Aside from salsa fresca, I'd have to say that my favorite hot snack would be a nice jar of homemade hot peppers and cauliflower from someone's garden. The hot mixes in the stores just can't compare... but I'll keep testing them, just in case. :wink:

Spicy Mixed Nuts

Spicy Pork Rinds

Jalapeno Poppers

Salsa

Cajun Power Company's Red Pepper, Jalapeno, and Chipotle Pepper Jellies on crackers with cream cheese

Sardines packed with chilies

Pepperjack Cheese

Red Hots Candies

My own buffalo wings:

Sauce: Hot Sauce (like Franks, Louisiana or Texas Pete's) + Tabasco Sauce + Cayenne Pepper + Butter + (sometimes) smashed clove of garlic. My lips actually get tingly and numb when I eat these, and that's a good thing. :wink:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Im surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but my favorite spicy snack is some kimchee flavored ramen that is eaten raw. I open the ramen bag, sprinkle the spice packet into the bag, close it, crush the noodles, then eat them. It's trashy, I know

I used to eat this more often when I was young.

I also like those japanese rice crackers that are shaped like little crescent moons and are slightly spicy.

green chile peppers dipped in go chu jang or doeng jang is also good

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Im surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but my favorite spicy snack is some kimchee flavored ramen that is eaten raw.  I open the ramen bag, sprinkle the spice packet into the bag, close it, crush the noodles, then eat them.  It's trashy, I know

that's some ghetto college steez right there.

These are my favorite potato chips. Compared to other jalapeno chips they're atomic. Almost impossible to find though.

gibbles_red_hot.jpg

Spicy Mixed Nuts

Spicy Pork Rinds

Jalapeno Poppers

Salsa

Cajun Power Company's Red Pepper, Jalapeno, and Chipotle Pepper Jellies on crackers with cream cheese

Sardines packed with chilies

Pepperjack Cheese

Red Hots Candies

My own buffalo wings:

Sauce: Hot Sauce (like Franks, Louisiana or Texas Pete's) + Tabasco Sauce + Cayenne Pepper + Butter + (sometimes) smashed clove of garlic.  My lips actually get tingly and numb when I eat these, and that's a good thing. :wink:

my wings are similar but--and a hint--add some freshly grated ginger to the mix. That seriously perks things up!

No one has mentioned "scorpions": Shrimp & cream cheese stuffed jalepeno peppers that are then battered and fried (kind of like those "poppers" but w/ shrimp). Edited to add that they are called scorpions b/c they look like the little insects when they come out of the fryer--not to mention the sting.

Edited by Lan4Dawg (log)

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

These are my favorite potato chips.  Compared to other jalapeno chips they're atomic.  Almost impossible to find though.

gibbles_red_hot.jpg

I tried them once. I like a little bite to my snacks, but with those I didn't know what to taste besides pain.

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

• 4 weeks later...

stephenc, I love those Gibble's chips! You're right about them being hard to find, though. I sometimes substitute Utz Red Hot Potato Chips. Not quite of the volcanic magnitude of Gibbles, but close! Still makes the Kruncher Jalepeno Chips look tame, by comparison.

Unfortunately, I also like the really low-brow Flamin' Hot Cheetos. Can't say that my tastes are terribly cultured, where my spicy snacks are concerned. But I'd never turn down a wasabi pea. Yum!

Doritos Fiery Habanero !

I was surprised they actually do have a tiny "heat" kick (I'm a chilehead so take that into account). Flaming Hot Cheetos are much hotter than these corn chips but I admire Frito Lay for giving them some sort of kick.

I normally can't stand the flavor of a habañero but, thankfully, these chips taste nothing like habañero.

Thumbs up!

Tim Oliver

Tim's cascade wasabi potato chips.

Don't know if they still make them. I only found them a couple of times when I lived in Napa. I'm sure not going to find them in South Carolina!

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

Mama Zuma's.

OUCH!!!!

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

• 5 months later...

Blair's Death Rain Cajun Potato Chips

Wow. These chips provide some heat. I'm a chilehead and can tolerate most spicy foods and I have to say these chips pack quite a wallop. Just like the reviewer noted (see link above):

On first bite, there was some nice cajun taste but no major heat, but the heat did come along soon enough. The heat grew hotter and then lingered for quite a while....

The chips are not overly thick as some boutique (as opposed to major name brands) chips can be. Combined with the heat, they're a great spicy snack.

Tim Oliver

Blair's Death Rain Cajun Potato Chips

Wow. These chips provide some heat. I'm a chilehead and can tolerate most spicy foods and I have to say these chips pack quite a wallop. Just like the reviewer noted (see link above):

On first bite, there was some nice cajun taste but no major heat, but the heat did come along soon enough. The heat grew hotter and then lingered for quite a while....

The chips are not overly thick as some boutique (as opposed to major name brands) chips can be. Combined with the heat, they're a great spicy snack.

Blair's also makes a Death Rain Habanero Seasoning that makes great spicy popcorn! That's my favorite spicy snack aside from wasabi peas and wasabi cashews.

There are some great spicy snacks available HERE if anyone is looking for a new favorite.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Blair's also makes a Death Rain Habanero Seasoning that makes great spicy popcorn!  That's my favorite spicy snack aside from wasabi peas and wasabi cashews.

Katie,

Thanks for posting the links.

Does the Habanero Seasoning taste like habaneros, or does the seasoning provide just heat? The reason I ask is that I don't like the flavor of habaneros but enjoy the heat.

Tim Oliver

Tim's cascade wasabi potato chips.

Don't know if they still make them.  I only found them a couple of times when I lived in Napa.  I'm sure not going to find them in South Carolina!

These are my favorite, too. An added bonus is my teenage son doesn't like them, so he leaves them alone.

I buy them at Raley's. Don't know about S Carolina.

Blair's also makes a Death Rain Habanero Seasoning that makes great spicy popcorn!  That's my favorite spicy snack aside from wasabi peas and wasabi cashews.

Katie,

Thanks for posting the links.

Does the Habanero Seasoning taste like habaneros, or does the seasoning provide just heat? The reason I ask is that I don't like the flavor of habaneros but enjoy the heat.

Mostly heat with a hint of the fruitiness of fresh habanero peppers. I use this stuff in almost everything. On popcorn, fresh corn on the cob, a pinch in a pot of soup to "wake it up", etc. And the tiniest little bit goes a pretty long way. I learned that lesson the hard way. This stuff is HOT. But good. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol