• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nearly Newly Back to the NW

Moving back to the northwest (Whidbey Island) after 12 years in SE Asia and 3 years in TX...can I count on some support??? Have enjoyed reading about some of the get-togethers and would love to participate. Just need some support re: the new scene. Such an awful feeling...being clueless. *sigh*

In everything satiety closely follows the greatest pleasures. -- Cicero

Hope to meet you soon. Welcome back to the Northwest.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Moving back to the northwest (Whidbey Island) after 12 years in SE Asia and 3 years in TX...can I  count on some support???  Have enjoyed reading about some of the get-togethers and would love to participate.  Just need some support re: the new scene.  Such an awful feeling...being clueless.  *sigh*

Welcome! If you've read some of the PNW threads, you'll see that opinions are not something we're short on nor is the willingness to share them. (Of course this brings to mind the old saying about what opinions are like.... :shock: )

Look forward to meeting you at an upcoming event.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Welcome back scissor boy (girl?). After you've taken a scan through the rest of the Pacific Northwest board as tighe suggested, just let us know if you have any more specific questions. I'm sure we'll all happily pile on our opinions. :biggrin:

Welcome Back.

Where on Whidbey Island will you be living? I have spent a great deal of my life on the south end of the Island. Useless Bay to be exact.

I look forward to meeting you.

Edited by LEdlund (log)

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Welcome back scissor boy (girl?). After you've taken a scan through the rest of the Pacific Northwest board as tighe suggested, just let us know if you have any more specific questions. I'm sure we'll all happily pile on our opinions. :biggrin:

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone...can't wait to be able to rust instead of tan. he he And for the record...it's scissor girl. Short bio: Many years in electronics mfg mgt, burnt out, moved to Asia and learned about serious drinking and eating (in that order) relocated to Texas to study culinary arts and will graduate in two days, therefore making me an unemployed cook. Hopefully, there are some hungry folk up the the Great PNW that can put me to work???

Happy Monday to all... :blink:

Welcome Back.

Where on Whidbey Island will you be living? I have spent a great deal of my live on the south end of the Island. Useless Bay to be exact.

I look forward to meeting you.

I'll be living in the middle of the island...Coupeville, specifically. Ironically, I'm looking at an ad for a P/T cook requirement at Useless Bay Country Club. *who'da thunk???*

:rolleyes:

Ironically, I'm looking at an ad for a P/T cook requirement at Useless Bay Country Club.  *who'da thunk???*

My grandmother was a member and I have eaten many breakfasts there! Small world!

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Ironically, I'm looking at an ad for a P/T cook requirement at Useless Bay Country Club.  *who'da thunk???*

My grandmother was a member and I have eaten many breakfasts there! Small world!

Small world indeed! Have your people get in touch with my people so we can do breakfast???? At UBCC, of course! :biggrin:

Welcome back! What a coincidence, after living in Seattle for a long time I moved down to Austin for 3 1/2 years before finally moving back. And now, right as you're moving back to the PacNW, I'm moving to Duluth, MN!

Where in Texas were you? I hate to tell you this, but you won't find bbq and steak joints on every corner. :sad:

Welcome back! What a coincidence, after living in Seattle for a long time I moved down to Austin for 3 1/2 years before finally moving back. And now, right as you're moving back to the PacNW, I'm moving to Duluth, MN!...

Yes, you would be a particularly valuable addition to the PNW group if you can smoke meats, make fabulous desserts AND mix killer cocktails. We're about to lose some of our core competencies to points East.... :shock::sad:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Welcome back! What a coincidence, after living in Seattle for a long time I moved down to Austin for 3 1/2 years before finally moving back. And now, right as you're moving back to the PacNW, I'm moving to Duluth, MN!

Where in Texas were you? I hate to tell you this, but you won't find bbq and steak joints on every corner.  :sad:

Well, damn, CC...how come you're leavin'??? Sorry to see you go, as I've so enjoyed your posts; I hope you'll keep in touch via this venue??

I've spent the last 3 years just north of Dallas, in Plano. And never fear, y'all...I have learned all the secrets of smoking and BBQ, so there just might be one addition on a street corner near you!! :cool:

Welcome back! What a coincidence, after living in Seattle for a long time I moved down to Austin for 3 1/2 years before finally moving back. And now, right as you're moving back to the PacNW, I'm moving to Duluth, MN!...

Yes, you would be a particularly valuable addition to the PNW group if you can smoke meats, make fabulous desserts AND mix killer cocktails. We're about to lose some of our core competencies to points East.... :shock::sad:

Well, I'll certainly see what I can do to live up to the challenge--and I LOVE a challenge! Just wait 'til the first time you delve into my slow-cooked whole brisket, smoke-finished...can you bring the tequila??? :wacko:

Well, damn, CC...how come you're leavin'???  Sorry to see you go, as I've so enjoyed your posts; I hope you'll keep in touch via this venue??

My finace Batgrrrl landed a tenure track position out there, but both Batgrrrl and I will definitely keep in touch and we're promising ourselves that we'll come back to Seattle once a year until we move back all permanent like.

I've spent the last 3 years just north of Dallas, in Plano.    And never fear, y'all...I have learned all the secrets of smoking and BBQ, so there just might be one addition on a street corner near you!! :cool:

Oh dear. :wacko:

I spent almost 3 years in Plano before I first moved to Seattle! But those were my middle school years and all I remeber from there is that it's hot, brown and incredibly flat.

Well, damn, CC...how come you're leavin'???  Sorry to see you go, as I've so enjoyed your posts; I hope you'll keep in touch via this venue??

My finace Batgrrrl landed a tenure track position out there, but both Batgrrrl and I will definitely keep in touch and we're promising ourselves that we'll come back to Seattle once a year until we move back all permanent like.

I've spent the last 3 years just north of Dallas, in Plano.    And never fear, y'all...I have learned all the secrets of smoking and BBQ, so there just might be one addition on a street corner near you!! :cool:

Oh dear. :wacko:

I spent almost 3 years in Plano before I first moved to Seattle! But those were my middle school years and all I remeber from there is that it's hot, brown and incredibly flat.

Glad you and Batgrrrl will continue to keep in touch, and do hope we can get together during your visit back to the NW. I'm soooo looking forward to leaving this hot, brown and infinitely flat and landlocked locale.

Are there any eGulleteers planning gatherings for the summer months? How many whole briskets should I bring up with me?? *L* I should be floating into the area the first of July... :cool:

How much are whole cryovac'd briskets down there? Up here the best price we can find is about $1.22/lb. A good deal considering if you can find brisket in your grocery store or meat shop it'll run you about $3 to $4 a pound.

Are there any eGulleteers planning gatherings for the summer months?  How many whole briskets should I bring up with me??  *L*  I should be floating into the area the first of July... :cool:

Don't worry. There will be. And it will take over your life! :biggrin:

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

How much are whole cryovac'd briskets down there? Up here the best price we can find is about $1.22/lb. A good deal considering if you can find brisket in your grocery store or meat shop it'll run you about $3 to $4 a pound.

Normal price isn't all that great...around $1.99/lb, but should be down to about .69/lb for the July 4th holiday. Lucked out and found it for .49/lb for Memorial Day. Whole cryopak for around 5 bucks. Yowza! Guess I should bring several frozen whole ones with me...think I couldn't afford a party at $3 or $4 bucks/lb. :shock:

Are there any eGulleteers planning gatherings for the summer months?  How many whole briskets should I bring up with me??  *L*  I should be floating into the area the first of July... :cool:

Don't worry. There will be. And it will take over your life! :biggrin:

Oh, goody!!! *rubbing hands with glee* Sounds like a plan is in order, MsR...everyone up for a ferry ride??? :wink:

if you're cookin' we'll come ;-)

welcome!

Thanks, Malarkey... :wub:

As of tomorrow, it's official...I become a bonafide chef, so guess I have to cook, eh? I'm thinkin' latter August, when I've recovered from the move, and if there IS to be a summer, it usually occurs then, as I recall. Bring tents, grog, sides and attitude, and I think we can muster a food fest. Also, if I recall, there's a baker in the bunch??? And a couple of mushroom hunters?

*wheels turnin'* :blink: