• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pdx desserts

Checked out Jim Dixon's web-site and totally agree with his on the point of desserts at Fife...absolutely wonderful! Totally fucking brilliant, in fact. Even the cheesecake with raspberry sauce was above average. I had the cardamom flan with sugared dates and tangelos I believe and going back and forth between sweet and tart.... it was a masterpiece in my humble opinion. Another I enjoy is the Chocolate Sheba at Alameda Brewhouse across the street. The best chocolate desset I have had in my life hands down. And In Good Taste has to be mentioned here as well. Anything I have had there has been wonderful. Hats of to Maya!

So, my question is....what has everyone else had and enjoyed here in the Rose City?

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Pix Patisserie is pretty hot stuff in the dessert department. I'm also a big fan of Paul Lemieux, the pastry chef at Lucere. I usually just order his stuff in the bar during their generous happy hours (while the partner pigs out on the pommes frit and other fried savories). I've had some cosmic ice creams at Higgins but I hear the pastry chef has moved to Park Kitchen, which I have not been to. During the fall I had a pumpkin ice cream of hers that really was the platonic ideal...it tasted the way a pumpkin smells when you cut it open. The other place that I had a really great dessert was Pambiche. Their guava cheesecake was the best cheesecake I've ever eaten. I'm actually trying to figure out how to recreate it at home. My mum loved her rum banana cake. Another time I had a taste of their version of a german chocolate and thought it wasn't that great but I think it's just a matter of personal taste.

Two other places to keep in mind (can you tell I have a sweet tooth?) are Staccato Gelato and neo gelato (which I'm not sure is open yet). I have not been to either but have high hopes.

regards,

trillium

Actually, Pambiche's German chocolate cake was the one dessert there that has disappointed me too, so maybe there's more to it than personal taste. Although we also did get the last slice.

What happened to the Pambiche cookbook? There was supposed to be one.

The best dessert I've had in Portland lately (and actually that's in the last 12 months or so) is the rice pudding spring roll at Saucebox. I always order dessert; it's just not usually memorable.

Still haven't tried Fife. Keep hearing more and more reasons to go.

Thanks for the input guys! I wasn't excited about the dessert at Pambiche although I love the food! And the atmosphere on a warm night. I've been meaning to scope out Pix. They've had some interesting looking classes and the make your own dessert night sounded like a lot of fun. Definately check out Fife. And the bakery across the street. Their bismarks are to die for! Most bavarian cream filled donuts have that funky flavor to the filling but these you can taste the quality of the cream in them. If you try something new - post! Thanks again!

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

• 4 months later...

Paul Lemieux, pastry chef and highly touted chocolatier, has moved to California and shut down his chocolate production. He didn't bother to take down his Portland website, however.

This past weekend was my first trip to Portland in years. I had hoped to try the chocolates but never got a chance.

Oh, well, in a month I'll be in Paris, and visiting the Maison du Chocolat for sure.

Though his chocolates and truffles were very good, largely because of their freshness, his pastry menu was the truly impressive thing. Things like his filo-chocolate dumplings in chocolate oil, the bing cherry fritters, and champagne granitas.