• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cravings

hey e-gulleters--

i was inspired by the "Dinner" thread. what dish(es) do you feel like eating right now, regardless of whether you have ingredients/etc.?

<*craving*>

me, it's a small filet mignon, crisp outside, rare inside, with a grapefruit/vodka/black pepper sorbet on the side, wilted spinach with sesame oil dressing. also small buckwheat pancakes with green onions and creme fraiche or yogurt...

🙂

and you?

gus

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

All that chatting in the Russian food thread has put me squarely back in Alaska in gustatorial longing.

And so, I want fried halibut from Katchemak Bay - crispy on the outside, and soft as a snowy white pillow inside; pink salmon just pulled from a rushing stream that was a glacier only hours ago, and basted with soy sauce and brown sugar and broiled over an alderwood fire; sourdough pancakes and biscuits dripping with fresh butter from the Matanuska Valley Colony Farms, and blueberries picked that very morning.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Refried bean burritos. Got the urge around four this afternoon. Cleaned the pintos, brought'em to a boil, let sit for a hour - before pressure cooking with a piece of good double smoked bacon end, some cumin seed and garlic. Got some lamb sausage thawing out (this'll be a first) that I'll fry with peppers and onions and more garlic.

Didn't feel like making tortillas so went to town to buy some and found some halfway decent corn to go along with the burritos. Funny how these urges just get hold of you. :biggrin:

Is there a reason why this is in the Pennsylvania forum?

Does the food have to be Penn related?

If not I could really go for some yuke, even though it is 8am!

or some sushi, GOOD sushi!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I'd kill for a good, simply made burrito right now. Sharp cheese; warm, lightly browned corn tortillas, some cilantro, some perfectly cooked beans, and a good handful of spicy, shredded beef. (Along with an icy cerveza, of course....)

Timothy C. Davis

Charlotte, NC

timothycdavis@earthlink.net

www.themoodyfoodie.com

www.cln.com

www.southernfoodways.com

Fresh tagliatelle with a brown butter sauce, LAVISHLY covered with shaved fresh truffle, parmesan shards, and cracked pepper.  Oh goodness me.

Um... what he said. Seriously. I was pretty much thinking exactly the same thing. Second place would be raviolo di uova al tartufo bianco.

--

No craving. Steak.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Brother, I would kill right now for a fried oyster po'boy...

Okay, I've changed my order. :biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Brownies. I kept thinking I smelled them at work today.

Spaghetti Carbonara, courtesy of the thread on it. :biggrin:

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley