• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How big is yours?

fresco

About 11x14. Almost the exact same layout as the Perlow's kitchen from the kitchen remodeling thread. Basically an L with a stove in the short leg and 14' of countertop with a sink and dishwasher on the long leg. A fridge and a small section of countertop are all alone opposite the long leg. We just recently remodeled it and couldn't be happier.

Mine is 20x25 ft with the pantry. And I love it. It's well laid out for a home that we didnt' change anything there when it was being built. I'm glad tho that our wet bar and wine fridge and refrig/freezer are separate. I do know that as much as I love it, there are things I'd change if I had the opportunity and the $. Which sounds like a good other thread...maybe it's been done before tho....how would you design your dream kitchen? One thing I will attest to.....never again will I have granite floors anywhere but in the wet bar and maybe the entry way.....my feet have been hurting since I got here! :wacko:

What a nice way to get to know some of the new folks! :biggrin: By their kitchens shall ye know them.

Mine is 8' x 18' wall-to-wall, not including the little jog in front of the far window that is useless except for the window sill (and as a dust-gathering place). Set up in a long U-shape, with 2 large windows at one end and a small table under them (mostly just used for breakfast), low cabinets with good-size counter and a pass-through along one long wall, the fridge and stove and more cabinets (above and below) and counterspace along the other long wall; the sink and dishwasher are at the far end short side, with more cabinets above and below. Other than needing still more cabinet space, I find it highly workable and not too inefficient. I also wish I had better lighting. But since I recently discovered (after 20+ years) that I can kick the fridge door shut while working on the counter opposite, I no longer want to change the layout. Just maybe move the stove closer to the sink, for more counter area right next to the fridge.

I could have other people working in there with me, but I WON'T. :angry: Except of course for He Who Only Eats (who actually does make the salad every night), as long as he stays by the sink. :wub:

Look to the cork grasshoppa. :biggrin:

:unsure: AHA! I knew there was something out there that might help me out! Where do I get this cork? I've never seen it before. Does it come in big sheets or what? I'm clueless :wacko:

It usually comes in 12" x 12" tiles, with a variety of colors laminated on top:

http://corkandfloor.com/

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

:unsure: AHA! I knew there was something out there that might help me out! Where do I get this cork? I've never seen it before. Does it come in big sheets or what? I'm clueless :wacko:

We just recently installed cork flooring and really like it. It's a little squishy, so it's comfortable to stand on, and so far it seems to be pretty durable. We got it from AmCork (recommended), but there are a million places that sell it. Google "cork flooring". This is the exact one we picked out. It looks great. They came in 12"x12" tiles, but there are a few other sizes you can find. I never saw them offered in sheets, though. Overall, installation wasn't bad. It was a pretty healthy weekend project.

Prepping the subfloor was a different animal altogether. 3 layers of old flooring and, oh, about 10 billion inch long staples deep into maple. Never again.

Or for a real DIY, Martha-type project, everytime you have a bottle of wine, cut the cork into neat slices. Then when you have enough piece them together and glue them down. If you're somebody like Tommy, it won't take you more than a few weeks until you've got what you need. :wink:

We just recently installed cork flooring and really like it. It's a little squishy, so it's comfortable to stand on, and so far it seems to be pretty durable. We got it from AmCork (recommended), but there are a million places that sell it. Google "cork flooring". This is the exact one we picked out. It looks great. They came in 12"x12" tiles, but there are a few other sizes you can find. I never saw them offered in sheets, though. Overall, installation wasn't bad. It was a pretty healthy weekend project.

Prepping the subfloor was a different animal altogether. 3 layers of old flooring and, oh, about 10 billion inch long staples deep into maple. Never again.

I've been toying with the idea of cork flooring for my kitchen. What happens if you get grease on the floor? Is it easy to remove?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

NVNVGirl, until you redo your floor, try rugs. Even though my floor is wood, I have a rug in the angle between the sink and the stove peninsula where I spend the most time. I have a woven cotten that fits right into the washing machine. If the floor were ceramic or granite, I'd probably put some padding under it, too. Another alternative would be some of that rubber ringy stuff, though that looks so commercial.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

They came in 12"x12" tiles, but there are a few other sizes you can find. I never saw them offered in sheets, though. Overall, installation wasn't bad. It was a pretty healthy weekend project.

Oh dear! Now I AM in a quandry! We just had this place built less than 3 yrs ago and spent a fortune for the granite flooring (well, it sure LOOKED great in the model), and I can't even imagine what would happen if I told my husband I need to remove the floor and start over! I was hoping it was maybe something I could just put down like a mat or something. Altho, I am so jealous of your cork floor.... live and learn (but how come I can't do it a little more inexpensively??

And I'm all for Martha Stewart do it yourself projects, but I lean a little more to the fabric bookmarks and the sand filled book weights....flooring is just a little too over my head, LOL! Altho....find me a good D I Y course on repairing damage done by Moluccan cockatoos to wood doors and window frames and I"M all ears!!! :rolleyes:

NVNVGirl, until you redo your floor, try rugs.  Even though my floor is wood, I have a rug in the angle between the sink and the stove peninsula where I spend the most time.  I have a woven cotten that fits right into the washing machine. If the floor were ceramic or granite, I'd probably put some padding under it, too. Another alternative would be some of that rubber ringy stuff, though that looks so commercial.

MM ~ I have thought about that rubber ringy stuff....I guess part of the problem is that we've got this gorgeous looking place and don't want to make it look industrial (believe me, I have learned the error of my ways on this house) at least, not too obviously. I have a couple of small rugs, but I am all over the kitchen (maybe it is a little too big but I sure have a place for practically EVERYTHING I want in here!) and they just dont' seem to help. I'm not being a whiner really, my passion in life is cooking and entertaining, but I am really able to just hobble around after being on my feet for several hours cooking....I would NEVER ever have imagined that granite is so incredibly hard on your entire body ...just not something you take into consideration when you buy your first home and the model looks so great with all the granite. Duhhhh...we know now, and I'll never do this again. But for the time being, maybe some sheets of that rubber ring stuff and some attractive rugs over it at least around the island and the stove? Am I the only dummy who's done this?