• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jai Yun

malachi

I keep hearing about this place in San Francisco - and it's either insane raves or big complaints.

Has anyone been there?

Opinions?

Edited by malachi (log)

fanatic...

I guess people are saying that he's been stretched too thin by the sudden publicity and resulting business and the quality (and consistency) has gone downhill.

I've really wanted to go for a while now but need to wait for one of my friends who is fluent in Mandarin to be in town while I'm there as well.

fanatic...

Um, I would give my eyeteeth to tag along when your Mandarin-speaking friend stops by, kind sir or madam...

point of fact, or rather question of fact:

what the hell are eyeteeth?

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 1 month later...

I went a couple weeks ago for a friend's birthday.

The place looks like any of the other small restaurants in Chinatown--I wouldn't have given it a second look if I hadn't already heard about it.

It's a good idea to go with someone who speaks some Mandarin. My friend speaks a little Cantonese, but it didn't help much. (As for English, forget about it.) Even with lots of gesturing and pointing, it was difficult to communicate with the servers. (We eventually ended up getting our own beers from the refrigerator and opening our own bottles of wine, which, by the way, you can bring along without a corkage fee!)

As for the food, it was a great adventure. I still don't know what some of the dishes were (which was part of the fun), but they were all light, fresh and unlike the Chinese food you'll get anywhere else.

Definitely check it out!

• 3 weeks later...

Two weeks ago I came to Jai Yun with my girlfriend of two years, expecting a truly memorable and enjoyable experience.

Well, we got the "memorable" part.

The food--save for one tasty eggplant dish--was unworthy of a Panda Express. The first 6 courses consisted of soggy croutons, burned pieces of carbon that we were told were beef, and numerous overcooked, bitter vegetables.

For 8 miniscule courses (plus 6 dishes of coldcuts that were served at the beginning, all at once) we were charged $87, not including tax and tip. And imagine our surprise when we were told that they do not accept credit cards. We ended up having to walk over five blocks in the cold to get cash at the nearest ATM machine. The woman at the counter didn't even apologize or look sympathetic.

We left Jai Yun hungry and saddened...saddened that a restaurant that had been so highly touted has taken such a downhill turn. :angry:

Um, I would give my eyeteeth to tag along when your Mandarin-speaking friend stops by, kind sir or madam...

point of fact, or rather question of fact:

what the hell are eyeteeth?

The canine teeth.

Now for the more than you ever wanted to know part. We have four of them, one on each side on both the upper and lower jaws. If you cut your mouth in half vertically and work your way from front to back, it goes like this on each jaw:

2 incisors, 1 canine, 2 pre-molars aka bicuspids, 3 molars unless you've had your wisdom teeth removed in which case it's 2.

God I'm bored today.

The canine teeth. 

Now for the more than you ever wanted to know part.  We have four of them, one on each side on both the upper and lower jaws.  If you cut your mouth in half vertically and work your way from front to back, it goes like this on each jaw: 

2 incisors, 1 canine, 2 pre-molars aka bicuspids, 3 molars unless you've had your wisdom teeth removed in which case it's 2. 

God I'm bored today.

I think it was Groucho Marx who flubbed a line and recovered by saying "I got my tongue wrapped around my eyeteeth and I couldn't see what I was saying."

But why are they called EYE teeth?

(Is this OT or what?)

But why are they called EYE teeth?

(Is this OT or what?)

They're called eye teeth because developmentally, their roots begin just below the eye socket (orbit bone).

Why is this over time?

Oh, that ot, shhhhh, don't tell anyone and maybe they won't notice.