• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Matchbox

Nick

Hmm... only matchbooks in the bowl by the door on Saturday night... I also dug around, because I had noticed the oversight on previous visits and wanted to verify. Got to try that mango vodka next time.

What's on the new menu--I think it was still the old menu on Saturday. I hope they simplify the options on their pizza. I think they are trying to do too much pizza-wise. Best to keep it simple.

TenPehn has/had nice matchboxes.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t been since they released the new menu, but I do know that the scallop appetizer is a dish Graig created for our mom. Everyone loved it so much that they put it on the menu. Give it a try and let us know what you think. And be sure to say hi to Graig…I talk to him about eGullet all the time.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I ate at Matchbox on Saturday night for the second time and really enjoyed it. No wait for four of us at 8 pm.

We started with 6 miniburgers and a fried mozzarella appetizer. The miniburgers were just as good as the first time. Quite pink in the middle and the accompanying onion strings are addictive. The fried mozzarella was surprisingly good. A very large wedge of fresh mozzarella atop a slice of grilled bread surrounded by their zesty tomato sauce. It was so good!

At this point, I was getting full, but had allowed my husband to choose our pizza. He chose the "meat" pizza which came with pepperoni, sausage, and bacon. The crust was very thin and crisp, yet flavorful at the same time. The pizza had quite a kick to it. Not sure if it was the sauce or the meats. Could barely eat 2 pieces because there was so much food.

I like this place and will continue to recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally went to Matchbox last night - braved the rain and the atrocious parking situation near MCI on account of a show of a certain artiste with a royal-sounding name. But what about MY royal pain in the arse with parking? But I digress.

We arrived at around seven and the bar was bobbin' and weavin' with Very Young Patrons. We got a table near the bar after 20 minutes, which was about what I expected.

I knew in advance that I was going to go for the miniburgers, but the rest of the choices were a struggle...I really wanted pizza, but I couldn't have miniburgers AND pizza because that would be acting like a Very, Very, Bad Girl. We settled for a plate of 3 minis, bacon-wrapped shrimp, and spinach salad for me/steak salad for her. Two glasses of Pinot Noir (not a beer drinker.)

Our server was very young and a bit flustered, but to be fair, it was very busy when we sat down (it calmed down considerably by 9 or so.) Also, her sister works behind the bar, so please be advised that you can feel like you are seeing double really, really fast. On the other hand, it can be interesting if you are really tipsy.

The burgers were every bit as good as people told me. I am only beginning to get into burgers as a concept after years of struggle to overcome a Rude Euro Attitude of "burger iz not reeel food." All I can say is I'm a convert! The combo of juicy beef, sweet brioche and pickle strikes a perfect note, and onion rings are very, very addictive, and markedly less greasy than the version one tends to get in bars. It's like bar food that went to graduate school. I had to relocate mine from the plate to leave room for the salad (Very, Very Good Girl.)

Shrimp was great as well, quite spicy, but couldn't really feel the mint in the sauce (didn't care, at this point.) Spinach salad was v. nice, too, and potato croutons are an interesting twist. To be honest, even three delicious, juicy, tempting miniburgers fill you up to the extent where it is hard to be excited about the rest.

Graig stopped at our table (our waitress wanted to introduce him) and was very charming and gracious. Our waitress spoke quite highly of him, which is always a good sign (see previous discussion of the usual disdain between front and back of the house.) We chatted a bit about Vidalia, Bis, Eve and other things. He was surprised that I knew about his tenure at Vidalia (Him, "how do you know I worked at Vidalia?" Me, "I read.") We complimented him on the food and especially burgers - I told him that his burgers were almost single-handedly responsible for completing my conversion from a Burger-Hatin' Euro to a Big Fan. Great evening, and I shall return to taste the pizza.

Did I mention that miniburgers were awesome?

Resident Twizzlebum

Finally went to Matchbox last night - braved the rain and the atrocious parking situation near MCI on account of a show of a certain artiste with a royal-sounding name. But what about MY royal pain in the arse with parking? But I digress.

I was consider stopping at Matchbox for some mini-burgers before the above mentioned show with the royal one this evening.

How busy was Matchbox? I'd expect it to be super crowded given the 20,000+ people converging on the area. But you were seated in 20 minutes? Can I be that lucky on a Friday evening, given the area attraction and happy hour patrons?

It was pretty full when we got there (ten to seven), but by 8.30 or so, it really calmed down. If completely opposed to waiting and crowds, I would go for a latish dinner...like around 9 pm. If no tables are open by then, there will be room at the bar.

Resident Twizzlebum

I knew in advance that I was going to go for the miniburgers, but the rest of the choices were a struggle...I really wanted pizza, but I couldn't have miniburgers AND pizza because that would be acting like a Very, Very, Bad Girl.

I suppose this is a good complaint to have, but every time I go to Matchbox I too struggle with this decision. I want both, but after having the burgers, I know I won't be up for a pizza too. Even when I'm with someone else, it's hard to split 3 burgers and order pizza(s). I feel like the pig I am when I'm done.

How bout a single burger on a plate with a simple salad? That would solve all my problems and bring order to the universe.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

How bout a single burger on a plate with a simple salad? That would solve all my problems and bring order to the universe.

How would that solve your dilemma of wanting, and eating, burgers AND pizza? And after having these babies last night, all I can say is, "hell no, I ain't sharin'."

How about an order of 3 minis and split a pizza w/someone? You can add spinach to pizza toppings...that takes care of any Good Boy/Girl ambitions.

Resident Twizzlebum

I had the sorriest trio of mini-burgers tonight. What a disappointment! I overheard a bartender saying Graig wasn't there (he was cooking at the Zoo event) so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

The usually zippy burgers were bland and blah this time. You know those stray zings of salt? Missing this time. The brioche rolls were beyond toasted - they were burned in spots. The burgers themselves, while still around medium in the middle, were crusty and burnt-tasting on the edges. Mustard couldn't save them. :sad:

Even the beloved onion straws were off. The dusting of parmesan and garlic was nowhere to be found. Almost no flavor in these rings tonight.

I threw a little salt on the whole mess hoping that would perk things up, but it was no use. After two, I called it quits.

I also must report a disappointing trip to Matchbox... ordered their special, a crabcake sandwich... lots of cartilage and the crab was overpowered by the mayo-laden sauce. I know, I know... why would I order a crabcake when the pizzas, salads, sandwiches, and burgers (mini or full-sized) are such a sure thing? To add power to my testimony that "Everything's Good At Matchbox!". Alas, I warn you to stick with the sure things! (My friends graciously shared with me some mini-burgers and skirt steak salad, so the trip wasn't a total loss!)

What's everyone's favorite Matchbox pizza?

Matchbox meat?

Prosciutto white?

Do tell.

I love the sausage & onion... but really, anything with their zesty sauce & quality cheese is delicious! Makes a simple cheese pizza w/ basil anything but boring.

I liked the Matchbox meat.

Sounds like the miniburgers suffered in Graig's absence because my recent experience was great...they have never toasted the brioche buns when I have ordered :blink:

Edited to ask this question: What makes Matchbox pizzas a little spicy? Is it the sauce or the meat?

Edited by sweetfreak (log)

I had the sorriest trio of mini-burgers tonight.  What a disappointment!  I overheard a bartender saying Graig wasn't there (he was cooking at the Zoo event) so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

The usually zippy burgers were bland and blah this time.  You know those stray zings of salt?  Missing this time.  The brioche rolls were beyond toasted - they were burned in spots.  The burgers themselves, while still around medium in the middle, were crusty and burnt-tasting on the edges.  Mustard couldn't save them.  :sad:

Even the beloved onion straws were off.  The dusting of parmesan and garlic was nowhere to be found.  Almost no flavor in these rings tonight.

I threw a little salt on the whole mess hoping that would perk things up, but it was no use.  After two, I called it quits.

Jenny, I was there yesterday too--for lunch. I could basically recite your post verbatim to share my experience there, except that my burger patties had no pink in them whatsoever and their texture suggested that they had been steamed (???) to toughness. Tried salt on the onion straws too... shook the shaker and heard all the grains go <plink> on the bottom of the plate; a "duh!" moment if ever there was one. :biggrin:

You didn't mention how the service was, but our waitress was a bit overeager to snatch up our plates, sometimes before we'd finished! At least I didn't mind as much as I would have on previous visits, where the food has been uniformly excellent, but it was very annoying nonetheless.

I feel your pain. :sad: I had brought a friend there for her first visit and was disappointed that she did not get to have a genuine Matchbox experience. No wonder I didn't see the chef around! Thanks for the explanation.

Erin

I feel your pain. :sad: I had brought a friend there for her first visit and was disappointed that she did not get to have a genuine Matchbox experience. No wonder I didn't see the chef around! Thanks for the explanation.

We ate at the bar because it was packed (and we were too lazy to get up). The male bartender is a total space cadet. His female counterpart is really on the ball.

Now THAT is a funny coincidence. I also brought a friend there who hadn't been. Fortunately she didn't share my disappointing experience (she's a vegetarian who loved her veggie sandwich). I didn't want to turn her off from the place.

sausage & onion, Q Special, and chicken pesto for me.

everything is good at matchbox..... except for the crabcake (had some of tcpanda's - and it just wasn't good) - though i admit i've never ventured much into the seafood there - except for the mussels, which were excellent - but aren't on the menu anymore. i do like the pastas too - plus they have Chimay on draft.

Well, I guess I should finally try this place. I'm in town today, anyone care to meet for happy hour?

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Well, I guess I should finally try this place. I'm in town today, anyone care to meet for happy hour?

I would meet you and give the mini burgers a chance to redeem themselves, however I am taking two visiting friends (one from LA, one from Oz) to dinner... hopefully getting to Palena finally. Finally!

Cross your fingers that I didn't just jinx myself...

Following an otherwise painful day, I pulled into Matchbox yesterday at about 4:15. I was first joined by a delicious Dogfish 60 minute IPA and was then joined by a fellow eG'er.

Our menu - mini-burgers and sausage and onion pizza. The mini-burgers (as just about everyone knows) come on nice brioche buns and a single pickle slice with some fried shoestrings. The shoe strings were great. The burgers were closer to medium than medium rare. IMO - They were good, but nothing to write home about.

The pizza on the otherhand was great. The sausage spicy, the onions sweet, the degree of doneness perfect with some black on the edge of the crust.

The atmosphere was very nice. I like the design. I was surprised that it wasn't very busy at all. Cute, very sweet bartenderesses.

Following one or two too many beverages , we walked out with a nice buzz and sated stomachs.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W