• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Matchbox

Nick

We were in Matchbox a couple of weeks ago, and I thought the pizza was excellent - really nice char on the bottom, very thin, crispy crust, nice balance between sauce, crust, and cheese. And our miniburgers were definitely medium rare, to the point that they were still grunting when poked. :laugh: I wasn't that thrilled by the brioche, though - the bun was really too sweet for my taste.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

I wasn't that thrilled by the brioche, though - the bun was really too sweet for my taste.

That's too bad. Me, I can't get enough of it. Brioche + miniburger + pickle + mustard => big smile on my face every time.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

That picture doesn't convey it, but Graig is one of the nicest chefs I've ever met.

Of course when you compare him to scalawags like John W. that ain't saying much. :wink::biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...

Finally made it tonight. After re-reading all these posts I have little to add that hasn't already been said. Great burgers, good pizza. We also split the chopped salad which seemed like it was equal parts romaine, bacon and a ring pasta with a good dressing. Good stuff all around.

Bill Russell

Does anyone think that little jet-stream spray-shoot glass-washing thing right under the beer taps is mildly disgusting?

actually a little more than "mildly"

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Does anyone think that little jet-stream spray-shoot glass-washing thing right under the beer taps is mildly disgusting?

As a former waitress/bartender in Germany, I can tell you that you're supposed to give a quick rinse to the glass before serving a good pilsner. And, considering they are serving one of the best pilsners (imho), Jever, they're doing it correctly. They do it with Stella at Bistro du Coin as well (or they did..haven't been there in a while).

....and, no, i'm not just saying this to stick up for my brother's restaurant! :-)

• 3 months later...

I'm sitting here muching on a Prosciutto White - more or less happily - right now that I got as takeout from Matchbox. Although I ordered my pizza "less than well done" I am finding it to be well done (and then some) which is a bummer. Funny how the initial thoughts on their pizza all said "cook it more!"

I wish I could have gotten them to listen to my special order because this one - although it still tastes good - is making my teeth hurt.

I'm sitting here muching on a Prosciutto White - more or less happily - right now that I got as takeout from Matchbox. Although I ordered my pizza "less than well done" I am finding it to be well done (and then some) which is a bummer. Funny how the initial thoughts on their pizza all said "cook it more!"

I wish I could have gotten them to listen to my special order because this one - although it still tastes good - is making my teeth hurt.

I was there for a couple of those Dead Guys Friday night after work. I saw someone at the bar get their pepperoni pizza. It really looked dark-- part of the rim of the crust was black and many of the pepperonis looked browned and crisped too much. Maybe a new guy is manning the oven?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I'm sitting here muching on a Prosciutto White - more or less happily - right now that I got as takeout from Matchbox.  Although I ordered my pizza "less than well done" I am finding it to be well done (and then some) which is a bummer.  Funny how the initial thoughts on their pizza all said "cook it more!" 

I was there for a couple of those Dead Guys Friday night after work. I saw someone at the bar get their pepperoni pizza. It really looked dark-- part of the rim of the crust was black and many of the pepperonis looked browned and crisped too much. Maybe a new guy is manning the oven?

A server or two has confided that it's the owner who prefers the extra-crispy pizza. I have learned to always ask for mine on the light side because the sauceless Prosciutto White (which I know you also like, Mike) dries out.

Today, no luck though.

I heard the same thing from my server a few weekends ago.

I feel the need to discuss those infused vodkas. Holy shitake mushroom! The mango vodka was unbelievable. We also tried the watermelon vodka, which was good, but no mango.

Which others are worth the pain the next morning?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

• 2 weeks later...

had to pick something up downtown today and oh! Matchbox!

nothing to add to the above, except that the bartender, Nicole, was the coolest bartender on record, and somebody there needs to get her a sharp knife. She was wedging a dull blade through umpteen mangos and piling them in a pretty jar with vodka for an upcoming round....

also, had forgotten how much fun lincoln logs could be to play with, but the Matchbox matches reminded me (and thoroughly distracted me from my intended reading...:).

There's one thing that really bothers me about Matchbox. Their own matches are a matchbook, not a matchbox. That just seems wrong.

I'm not sure what the consensus here is, but I found their white pizza to be much better than the red sauce versions.

There's one thing that really bothers me about Matchbox. Their own matches are a matchbook, not a matchbox. That just seems wrong.

After a few drinks with the mango vodka (my favorite) my friend and I started harassing the bartender about the same thing.

And why are there only a few matchboxed in each table. I expected a lot more. Heck, I've got more in my little apartment if they need them!

but they _have_ matchboxes--I built a whole castle out of 'em! You just have dig through the matchbooks to get to the cool square ones.

We dumped out the whole bowl (don't ask) and only found matchbooks :hmmm: