• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your favorite cuisine

Hello Tom, and thanks again.

I was wondering what your favorite cuisine is? What restaurant serves your favorite the best, and why do you like it so much?

In terms of international cuisine in DC, what do you think is up and coming? Filipino? Lebanese? Indian?

Thanks!

Honestly, I don't have a favorite cuisine. If I'm partial to anything, it is straightforward, honest cooking. I get as excited by a great hamburger or a model roast chicken as I do by the lastest fashions from Citronelle or Maestro, in part because 1) simple is hard to do and 2) I'm surrounded by a lot of what's fancy on a regular basis. (There's a reason you see chefs congregating at noodle parlors and bistros after their work hours. LOL)

Latin American accents continue to sneak into restaurants of all stripes, as do Asian flavors. Amd small plates continue to be big business. Our fascination with tapas knows no bounds: Just last night, for instance, I had dinner at a new Russian place that offered "small plates" on its menu. Russian tapas!