• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Oregano

tommy

Make foccaccia with insane amounts incorporated into the dough along with sundried tomatoes that have steeped in olive oil. There truly is nothing better than a fresh oregano foccaccia done this way.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I made this recipe the other night and it was delicious. Served it over polenta, but mashed potatoes or risotto would also be good.

I also add fresh oregano to my pasta sauce. I just like the flavor, so I often use it where I would use basil, for a change of pace.

I stopped growing regular oregano,and only grow the Greek, it has twice the flavor of the regular stuff....I also have two kinds of sage,and one is kinda bland an the otheris much, much better,only problem is I lost the tag for it and don'tknow what the variety is,(leaves are "rounder") so I am gonna save some seeds from it to propagate it,,,

Bud

This is something I did last year on a lazy late summer Sunday. I was grilling lots of small bites of different flavours , and included was a few skewers of shrimp on herb stems. There are oregano stems and rosemary stems in this pic. I finely chopped the herbs that were picked off the stems and combined with lemon juice, minced garlic and extra virgin avocado oil and marinated the shrimp , then threaded them onto the stems with a strip of lemon zest around them.

tap5.jpg

A close up when they were about to come off the grill.

tap8-1.jpg

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I have a planter that has exploded so I am letting it flower. While frying some zucchini flowers the other day I tossed in some of the oregano flower heads. I have been salivating every time I walk past the planter; they were that good. The oregano flavor is subtle but distinct in the flowers and because of their formation they fry up crispy in just a few seconds.

DSCN1019.JPG

All fried up in the third image of this post.