• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jamaican rum

Hi ,

I've got a question for which three facts are usefull:

- I graduated last tuesday (so I now can call myself a teacher, although I'm already fulfilling that job for more than a year)

- I celebray my birthday (july 12th) in combination with the graduation

- two friends are going on a honeymoon to Jamaica and have asked repeatedley what they can buy me for the occasion

What rums can you advise me to aks for this occasion that are not so commonly known like Appleton's, Myers or Wray and Nephew's?

The friends are leaving on june 6th, so your advise would we wanted before that date...

Thanks,

John

What rums can you advise me to aks for this occasion that are not so commonly known like Appleton's,  Myers or Wray and Nephew's?

Appeltons Special Res. dark!

Living hard will take its toll...

Appleton 21, no question. I don't know how easy it is to get in Germany but it is VERY difficult to get in the US. Its still pretty expensive even in Jamaica, the best price I found there on it was about $50. I actually did better in St. Maarten where I found it once for $36. Also pick up some of the Appleton Extra 12 year old, if you can find it for $20 or under its a good buy. VX is also a good rum, but its pretty common here in the States, the Extra is almost as hard to find as the 21. On St Maarten I found it in one place for $8 a bottle. I think that in Jamaica itself the prices are inflated compared to other parts of the Caribbean.

Also be sure to have them pick up a bottle of the Sangsters rum cream, its great stuff.

I'm not really fond of any of the other Wray rums, Appleton is really their best stuff. Meyers is also pretty standard issue.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

What rums can you advise me to aks for this occasion that are not so commonly known like Appleton's,  Myers or Wray and Nephew's?

Sorry, slip of the tongue / language. I ment not as commonly as...

I have seen all three brands in the area, and although I don't remember specific types of rum, Appleton was represented by quite a collection.

But I'll be sure to put Sangsters rum cream on the list!

I agree that Appleton are producing the best rums from jamaica right now, in fact some of the best rums available anywhere. The Extra 12 yr old is a regular in my collection, and although I like the 21 yr old even more, I haven't found it at a very reasonable price (but then are there any reasonable priced rums in New York??).

For a truly memorable (and valuable) choice, go for the Estate 250 Anniversary edition - a deliciously heavy blend of rums, whch apparently, are up to 50 yrs old. Only 6000 bottles were made, and it's a full and complex blend of cooper pot distilled rums that comes in a distinctive crystal decanter (don't confuse with the 250 anniversary bottled in the standard Appleton bottles, which is a different blend). The one drawback - it's about $300 a bottle.

I live in NY too and I haven't been able to find the Appleton Estate 250 special edition ANYWHERE. Actually, I saw one - but for $300. I would love to buy this as a gift for my husband - he's been talking about this rum for ages. Any tips on where I can find one for a deal?

• 1 month later...

Hi Laura. If you're ever in London and you want to aquire a 250 Anniversary decanter, then drop me a line as we have 10 bottles at our office here in England. They cost about $160 each.

When I read about the evils of drinking rum...I stopped reading...because life is too short, so smile and enjoy yourself...

therumman@btinternet.com