• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert

Tom, I believe you have discussed your excitement with some restaurants beginning to realize the value of a true pastry chef, such as our own Steve Klc.

Please share with us what you would like to see with desserts, their importance in a meal, and how vital is the role of a talented pastry chef.

Thanks for participating.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

For most restaurants, dessert is something of an after-thought. That's really unfortunate, because dessert is a kitchen's last chance to make a good impression on a diner.

For too many establishments, the easy way is to crank out crowd-pleasers that don't involve much labor or cost much to make: creme brulee, molten chocolate cake, tiramisu, sorbets, etc.

The more thoughtful approach is to hire a person whose time is devoted to the final course and give him or her adequate space in the kitchen to to the job right. But a skilled pastry chef costs money, and when push comes to shove, a lot of businesses feel they can't afford one. So they get a line cook or whatever to make the same old, same old.

Restaurants tell me they do this because "that's what people want." I say, give guests better choices, train the waiters to sell them, and watch everyone pick the new thing over that tired creme brulee and that ubiquitous chocolate cake.

Steve Klc is lucky to have the support of his bosses -- and WE'RE lucky that he's in Washington. Another promising talent: Jarad Slipp at the just-opened Nectar in Foggy Bottom.

All the Pastry Chefs are going to love this.

Why not make Desserts the FIRST course?

As per the ancient school of Indian medicine ( Ayurveda ) I beleive the body is made up of different elements like wind, earth, water, fire etc. The fire tradionally burns in the stomach. It gets intence when you are hungry and dies down to a comfortable mellow after your meal. It is recomended to eat heavier foods ( like desserts ) first, when the fire in your tummy is at it's fiercest and can process/digest these heavier foods better rather than at the end when it has lost most of its punch.

just some food for thought

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia