• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Second NY Potluck Dinner

SobaAddict70

Since they are best served fresh out of the oven, and I know you can store the batter in the freezer, have you considered selling the batter (with instructions on the label), and just having a few dozen out for sampling?

Now being able to buy a quart of the batter for these things, that would make the trip to Bloomfield worth it! :cool:

Yes, that's how they're sold usually. I had some frozen ones at the FF Show, but one sucked, and the other I wanted to spit out. They also sell it where you add an egg and milk or something, that that is God awful too. I suppose I could get the frozen stuff together by next week. I have to go to Queens to buy supplies. But yeah, I guess I'd sell it in the large containers you brought the sorbets in. :wub: Have to buy a cooler too and make ice bottles. And instruction labels. How were the old, cold guys?

They're also sold in little Brasil on 48th or whatever at a place called Buzios (2nd floor). Frozen balled dough in one pound bags, for 7 fucking dollars! I refuse to even test them out. :angry: I, on the other hand, will not charge that much. :smile: I'd rather people EAT the damn things rather than wonder if they can afford it.

Done.  Just please don't make the same mistake again.  Both states are very touchy about that.  :laugh:

BTW: Thank you, Vengroff!

I guess it's kinda like Americans not knowing the Canadian provinces :blink::biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Done.  Just please don't make the same mistake again.  Both states are very touchy about that.  :laugh:

BTW: Thank you, Vengroff!

I guess it's kinda like Americans not knowing the Canadian provinces :blink::biggrin:

No, Babe. At least we know that NY and NJ are states! Oh, how often have I heard..."we went for a trip to the "providence" of Toronto!

(End of typical Canadian rant.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Okay, here's the story. Since I'm going into business with these two items, and they're the only two items I have, I am consistently advised not to give out the recipes to anyone who asks. I really, truly feel awful about this, but I'm just a little nervous about it. Maybe if there wasn't such a HUGE membership, I'd feel differently. :biggrin: I hope everyone understands. It's just very awkward for me at this point. :sad: Sorry!

BUT you can hop a freight train to Bloomfield farmer's market on Thursdays 2-7 or so, and I'll have some there. If you do this, please tell me you're coming so I can save some for you!

I am also working on figuring out how to send it round the world. Well, not all the way around. That would be silly. But there will be affordable ways to get excellent pao de queijo to an oven near you. Is that acceptable? :smile:

How were the old, cold guys?

As you predicted they were kind of stale the next day. When heated up in the toaster oven for 5 minutes they were 80% as good as the ones served fresh from the oven on Saturday. Therefore, the best way to sell them is frozen batter. The problem may be in keeping the samples fresh enough at the Farmers Market - any chance you'll be near an outlet in order to plug in a toaster oven? I'm sure you won't know this by Thursday, but it may be worth investigating while you are there. It seems to start late enough that you may be able to convince a local coffee shop or restaurant to allow you the use of an oven for an hour?

There's actually a diner across the street, but I may as well make them at the convent just before. Personally, they have a 45 minute shelf life for me. But, you never know. SobaAddict seems to like them cold!

I will snoop around for an outlet. That would be crazy! I hope I don't get arrested.

Okay, here's the story.  Since I'm going into business with these two items, and they're the only two items I have, I am consistently advised not to give out the recipes to anyone who asks.  I really, truly feel awful about this, but I'm just a little nervous about it.  Maybe if there wasn't such a HUGE membership, I'd feel differently.  :biggrin:  I hope everyone understands.  It's just very awkward for me at this point. :sad:  Sorry!

I've often found this idea curious. If ever I went to an establishment that had an excellent dish, and I asked for and recieved the recipe, I can assure you there were at least 2 things I did not do:

1. I never made the decision that since I had the recipe that I never needed to go to the restaurant again because I could prepare the dish myself.

2. I never took the recipe, invested in an establishment down the block and put them out of business by selling the item myself.

This being said I can still understand the reluctance to reveal proprietary information. I still cant believe that Bush guy has not caught on to Dukes nefarious schemes to sell the baked bean recipe... :hmmm:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I've often found this idea curious.  If ever I went to an establishment that had an excellent dish, and I asked for and recieved the recipe, I can assure you there were at least 2 things I did not do:

1.  I never made the decision that since I had the recipe that I never needed to go to the restaurant again because I could prepare the dish myself.

2.  I never took the recipe, invested in an establishment down the block and put them out of business by selling the item myself.:

but if 5000 people came in and asked...

I've often found this idea curious.  If ever I went to an establishment that had an excellent dish, and I asked for and recieved the recipe, I can assure you there were at least 2 things I did not do:

1.  I never made the decision that since I had the recipe that I never needed to go to the restaurant again because I could prepare the dish myself.

2.  I never took the recipe, invested in an establishment down the block and put them out of business by selling the item myself.:

but if 5000 people came in and asked...

That's the thing. eGullet is a gigantic food site with people round the world reading it. I'm simply not comfortable giving my two recipes out to (insert number of members) and countless guests. I'm not an established restaurant, not have I published a cookbook which will raise my finances. I'm just a girl with two killer recipes that I'm hoping to make money with. If I make money with these recipes I can start living a normal life. K?