• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Second NY Potluck Dinner

SobaAddict70

The Green Beans at that market looked good tonight (I walked in after going to the drugstore). I eat 'em raw--I'm assuming I'm not the only one. Someone else can schlep carrots if we are really serious about this "vege" thing.

Snap Peas looked a bit wiggy, otherwise I'd bring them. I mean, unless the bunch out tomorrow looks better.

And Steven... just because YOU could eat five or six pounds of baklava by yourself doesn't mean that an actual human being could eat more than a few pieces. Its not, unfortunately, steak. And since it could get monotonous to eat more, what I might do instead is get a few of the other Turkish desserts to flesh things out.

And some green crap. :wink:

Wait... how many people are actually coming to this thing? Aquitaine's list looks a bit light...

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Belmont 3, BRING THE MORUE! I love it! I'll try to remember to get a decent baguette to go with it...

jhlurie:

Wait... how many people are actually coming to this thing? Aquitaine's list looks a bit light...

I TRIED to cull the pertinent info carefully.... :hmmm:

Re the ice: I kind of figured there was some inside stuff going on, but I was covering the bases! As for veggies, that happens to be my thing, but not necessarily anyone else's. So don't knock yourself out, jhlurie. Maybe no one else except megc cares about bunny food :raz:

Suzanne is probably the only one who knows how many are coming....

OK, I've made some tapenade, so I'm coming for sure.

I have a favor to ask: could someone please pick up a baguette? The bread out here in Stony Brook is crap. I can pay that person back tonight.

I've also got some mild goat cheese to go with the tapenade/bread.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone!

Oh no! no hummus! :shock: I used up some of the essentials (roast garlic, garlic oil) on the batch for July 4th. I made a terrine of chicken & duck livers and pork instead. And some marinated olives. So the vegs can be chomped plain, as palate cleansers. :wink:

As for the head count, there may be others not "signed up" on the thread -- I sent out a bunch of pms. My count is now about 16.

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Oh no! no hummus!  :shock:  I used up some of the essentials (roast garlic, garlic oil) on the batch for July 4th.  I made a terrine of chicken & duck livers and pork instead.  And some marinated olives.  So the vegs can be chomped plain, as palate cleansers.  :wink:

As for the head count, there may be others not "signed up" on the thread -- I sent out a bunch of pms.  My count is now about 16.

Oh hell, Suzanne. I was really looking forward to the hummus, and we need some kind of dippy thing because your Pate is very similar to the turkey/pork poached larb balls that Rachel is making right this second.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Suzanne, what's the situation with serving-platters and dishes? Should I bring my stuff in plastic wrap or should I be bringing a platter and bowls?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've got one very big (think Thanksgiving turkey-size) platter, two rather large platters, and a lot of 14-inch platters. The giant plastic salad bowl is already spoken for, but the 2 regular size plastic salad bowls are available. I have lots and lots of cereal bowls and slightly larger, and a lot of "vegetable serving dishes." A couple of miscellaneous baking dishes that could be recruited, if I ask them nicely. And a few pieces of Lenox hostess stuff, but they're on the smallish side.

Which all comes down to: I think I've got what people will need. And if not, we'll improvise. :smile:

May I suggest, as follow-up for this and other eG-related events, that each recipe be added to the RecipeGullet archive and named in honor of the precipitating event? For example, Gougeres ala July 2003 NY Pot-Luck. Maybe you can do better.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've got one very big (think Thanksgiving turkey-size) platter, two rather large platters, and a lot of 14-inch platters.  The giant plastic salad bowl is already spoken for, but the 2 regular size plastic salad bowls are available.  I have lots and lots of cereal bowls and slightly larger, and a lot of "vegetable serving dishes."

All our stuff will require is two of the 14-inch platters, a couple of cereal bowls, and a knife.

:shock:  URGENT REQUEST:

Someone has to bring a CAMERA, please!!!!!  I do not have one (digital or film).

Thank you.

Now we're talking.

Jason and Rachel?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Okay, may be not gougeres, which requires the 'bake and serve immediately thing'. Totally forgot that the last time I made them for a potluck was in the middle of the winter. Will think of some cookies to bring.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

:shock:URGENT REQUEST:

Someone has to bring a CAMERA, please!!!!!  I do not have one (digital or film).

Thank you.

Now we're talking.

Jason and Rachel?

My camera is coming.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I will bring a camera as well. I have about 2lbs of Brandade, it will be coming. We can go hot or cold, what ever you guys want. I am ready now, a 2 1/2 hour bike ride, got the stomach ready

Also bringing 2 Balthazar baguettes....

Good, now we won't have to stop at the Balthazar Bakery in Englewood, NJ.

May I suggest, as follow-up for this and other eG-related events, that each recipe be added to the RecipeGullet archive and named in honor of the precipitating event? For example, Gougeres ala July 2003 NY Pot-Luck. Maybe you can do better.

How about including a note saying you made it for the potluck and include a link to this thread in the notes section. That reminds me, I have to change the larb balls recipe, we added cellophane noodles to the meat mixture.

I've got one very big (think Thanksgiving turkey-size) platter, two rather large platters, and a lot of 14-inch platters. . . .

I call a "rather large platter" a dinner or soup plate for the lettuce, and several smaller bowls for garnishes.

:shock:URGENT REQUEST:

Thank you.

Now we're talking.

Jason and Rachel?

All charged up and ready to go.

All charged up and ready to go.

Me, too!

There will be a sign-in sheet for people to list their edible/potable contributions (even the boughten stuff), because otherwise we'll never be able to identify everything afterwards. :hmmm:

Well, some stuff came up and bonked me back an hour, so it looks like I'll probably get there about 6pm. Don't snarf up all the larb balls & such before I get there! :cool:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak