• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Second NY Potluck Dinner

SobaAddict70

I think we'll go out today and get a big brisket, and braise it in veal stock and red wine. Then we can have it tomorrow, room temperature, with a horseradish-cream dressing.

Did anybody commit to provide that rum? We can bring a nice bottle of rum in addition to our own and shareable beverages. We can also provide some other staple items if needed -- plates, cups, whatever. But no way are we cooking more than one thing! A major benefit of being a couple is being able to bring a bigger portion of one thing to a pot luck instead of making two things!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

What kind of rum you guys want? I got like 50 bottles here.

Whaaa?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Okay we've got a massive seven-pound brisket and we'll cook it today. Also have various accompanying items.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

What kind of rum you guys want? I got like 50 bottles here.

Some Goslings Black? We could bring ginger beer and do "Dark and Stormy Nights..." Last year Rich brewed his own Ginger Beer for those on our vacation...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Megc: bring the bunnies. I've got a cast iron grill pan.

Seriously, though: it has been suggested to me privately that since there will already be so much food, this event can be opened to any tri-state-area eGulleteer (and visiting firemen, err, eGulleteers, too!) who would like to come, whether or not you can cook something to bring. Beverages are always welcome (hard or soft), as are purchased items (Chinese jerky? anything from any kind of "ethnic" store?)

We're nowhere near seating/standing capacity yet. And HWOE finally installed the new ceiling fan, to complement the 2 air-conditioners. :raz: Just PM me for directions (I've got the spiel all set up for east side, west side, even driving from the east side :blink: ) To give a general idea, the location is in Lower Manhattan, near City Hall, near J & R Music World, and 3 blocks to the northeast of the former WTC site.

Yes, seven pounds of brisket alone will cover everybody already in attendance. And then we have a sub-group who will only be eating pie. Somebody needs to come eat the rest of the food. It would be great to see all of you.

As for anybody who's not reading this thread at this late date, let's get some PMs and e-mails out to the local crew.

And somebody invite NY-1 News -- I'm sure they've never seen a person actually eat a whole pie and then collapse.

If so, how about a nice, fresh salad -- lettuces with oranges, cucumbers, red onions and olives -- and a piquant (think Indian lime pickles and chutney) dressing? Seems to me we need some GREENS here and something light..... and I could carry it on the subway in a big garbage bag!  :biggrin:

A salad sounds great to me Aquitaine. Our appetizer is wrapped up on lettuce, so it's kind of salady too.

In general, since we have proteins and desserts covered, the only thing left to bring is sides. So, if you still can't decide what to make, just roast some cauliflower or steam something green.

I was thinking this was BYO in that everyone brought something to drink & share, in addition to their food potluck contribution.

It's MY HOUSE, and I say: just don't come empty-handed. Tommy, that does NOT mean you can walk in holding your, um, self. :raz:

Something you make is first choice; and something to drink. But something you buy is okay, as are plates, napkins, etc. if you really feel stuck. Just come! :laugh:

If anyone's trying to figure out what the menu is and what they might want to bring to fill in any gaps, this NOT-SET-IN-STONE list might help. I took a page from the egullet.com Seattle group's farewell-to-Nightscotsman-pizza-shindig -- which I REALLY wanted to attend but decided would be a tad too expensive. :raz: It's sort of arranged by "course" -- and apologies if I missed something; feel free to edit!

(This is how I figured out that we were missing veggies....)

Gruyere and Olive cake with roasted tomato sauce -- Belmont3

Hummus -- Suzanne F

Larb Balls Two Ways with garnish of lettuce leaves, cucumber, dipping sauce, etc -- Jason Perlow

Pasta (veggie or not -- SobaAddict70

Pasta salad -- =Mark

Brisket with horseradish-cream dressing -- Fat Guy

Pao de Queijo (cheese bread -- Elyse

Lettuce salad with oranges, cucumbers, red onions and olives -- Aquitaine

Baklava -- jhlurie

Pecan Pie -- Elyse

Watermelon Ice Cream with Chocolate "Seeds" and Watermelon Sorbet -- Rachel Perlow

Beer -- Elyse

Ice -- jhlurie and/or Tommy

Rum -- Jason Perlow

Sorrel drink -- Suzanne F

Wine, 1 or 2 bottles -- Belmont3

Megc: bring the bunnies.  I've got a cast iron grill pan.

If I can catch them, I will!

Suzanne, please PM me directions, in case it turns out I can attend. Turns out we're gonna de-bunny-ize (read: put in fencing) in the morning. Actually, if you could send the directions to my yahoo address (indicated on my profile) that would work better for me (my current browser at home is still crap).

Maybe I could bring some tapenade. And something to drink. Hopefully, it will work out that I can be there!

(This is how I figured out that we were missing veggies....)

Gruyere and Olive cake with roasted tomato sauce -- Belmont3

Hummus -- Suzanne F

Larb Balls Two Ways with garnish of lettuce leaves, cucumber, dipping sauce, etc -- Jason Perlow

Pasta (veggie or not -- SobaAddict70

Pasta salad -- =Mark

Brisket with horseradish-cream dressing -- Fat Guy

Pao de Queijo (cheese bread -- Elyse

Lettuce salad with oranges, cucumbers, red onions and olives -- Aquitaine

Baklava -- jhlurie

Pecan Pie -- Elyse

Watermelon Ice Cream with Chocolate "Seeds" and Watermelon Sorbet -- Rachel Perlow

Beer -- Elyse

Ice -- jhlurie and/or Tommy

Rum -- Jason Perlow

Sorrel drink -- Suzanne F

Wine, 1 or 2 bottles -- Belmont3

No... the ice was an inside joke. Neither of us is bringing ice from New Jersey.

Vegetables can be arranged. Tell you what... I'll bring a package of whatever is fresh at my local Korean fruit/vege stand if somebody else brings dressing or dip or something. And the baklava of course (I figure two pounds should do it, right?)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I made some wasabi/mayo/mustard dressing for Steve's beef that should go well with a crudite, jon.

Someone needs to bring some bread to go with Steven's brisket, like some jewish rye or a pumpernickel.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

And the baklava of course (I figure two pounds should do it, right?)

You've got to be kidding. Don't you understand the obsessive-compulsive-foodie-nutcase code of conduct governing pot-luck preparation and portioning? You have to bring enough so that, assuming the hypothetical scenario wherein every attendee at the event chooses to eat that food exclusively, you will still have enough leftovers to eat for a week. Seven pounds, at least.