• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Second NY Potluck Dinner

SobaAddict70

Yup, Rachel is right: it's getting close, time for a head count, so I can have enough glasses washed, and figure out if I need to buy paper plates. Whose in?

Yes, please, BYOB as well. I will supply seltzer and non-alcoholic Sorrel Drink (and ice), but that's about it.

Didn't think I'd make it when this topic was fresh, but all of this talk of "PIE!" is at least interesting. Since my cooking is pathetic, I'd probably head over to the little Turkish bakery in my neighborhood (they supply a lot of the Turkish restaurants in the area) and supplement that Pie with some baklava. I mean its better than more seafood, right?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Didn't think I'd make it when this topic was fresh, but all of this talk of "PIE!" is at least interesting.  Since my cooking is pathetic, I'd probably head over to the little Turkish bakery in my neighborhood (they supply a lot of the Turkish restaurants in the area) and supplement that Pie with some baklava.  I mean its better than more seafood, right?

:laugh: My friend!

Elyse, I can tell you that if you bring a Pecan Pie, at the very minimum Jason Perlow and I will commit to eating... lets say... 5000 calories worth apiece if nobody else is interested.

BTW: I am not, I repeat not, bringing any ice. Someone else bring the ice. :wink:

Rachel - Watermelon is fruit, not dessert!

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Hmmm.  I have NO idea how many calories in this pie.  I doubt there are 5,ooo calories a piece.

Suzanne, is there ice nearby?

Er... "apiece". Not "a piece". Meaning the two of us would probably binge until we ate 5000 calories worth each, assuming other people got bored with the pie. Not that we'd really do that, I just wanted to encourage you in the "pie" chanting. As you may or may not know eGullet has a tradition of people yelling out the word "pie". Ask Jinmyo (although with her its always a meat pie).

I'm having visions now of that Simpsons episode where that chef makes the eclair for homer which is supposed to kill him from too much fat. :raz:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Hmmm.  I have NO idea how many calories in this pie.  I doubt there are 5,ooo calories a piece.

Suzanne, is there ice nearby?

Er... "apiece". Not "a piece". Meaning the two of us would probably binge until we ate 5000 calories worth each, assuming other people got bored with the pie. Not that we'd really do that, I just wanted to encourage you in the "pie" chanting. As you may or may not know eGullet has a tradition of people yelling out the word "pie". Ask Jinmyo (although with her its always a meat pie).

I'm having visions now of that Simpsons episode where that chef makes the eclair for homer which is supposed to kill him from too much fat. :raz:

I was kidding wit chu. Will one pie be enough? It'll be in the large pyrex.

Rachel, John will help bring the ice upstairs.

No, Elyse, one pie will NOT be enough. Not if HWOE is here, too, which he should be. That's one of his favorites. And he's wonderful to experiment on. (Um, with recipes, I mean. :blush:)

No, Rachel, definitely NOT a walk-up. Elevator, please!! Although mine is the only apartment in the building with about 4 steps up and 4 steps down to get in (it's something to do with the fact that they added extra floors around 1903). Nothing like Lissome's though. :laugh: (If I had stairs like hers, I'd be that svelte, too :blink: ) But I was planning on loading up my Coleman cooler with ice, so you need only bring what you need to keep your stuff cold. And your stuff sounds infinitely better than Friendly's. :biggrin:

Yes, Jon: c'mon down! Baklava is great. And the more, the merrier. :biggrin:

and one more thing: to anyone who is reading but has not been posting for whatever reason, I hope you will come. Truly. Yes, even you :wink:

Will there be another one of these in the relatively near future? I'd like to attend, but am recording the following day and need a decent night's sleep Saturday. All the proposed food sounds delicious and I'd love to meet some of you NY eGulleters. The event sounds like heaps of fun! I look forward to reading about all the festivites post-potluck. :biggrin:

Will there be another one of these in the relatively near future? I'd like to attend, but am recording the following day and need a decent night's sleep Saturday.  All the proposed food sounds delicious and I'd love to meet some of you NY eGulleters.  The event sounds like heaps of fun!  I look forward to reading about all the festivites post-potluck.  :biggrin:

When do you figure you'd need to be in bed by? Seems if you are fairly local to the city you could still attend, duck out by 9pm or so and still have time for a decent sleep as well as 4 or more hours of eGulletizing...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

When do you figure you'd need to be in bed by?  Seems if you are fairly local to the city you could still attend, duck out by 9pm or so and still have time for a decent sleep as well as 4 or more hours of eGulletizing...

I'm stuck on Long Island, 2hrs away. :sad:

It is true that I could probably catch a train back to Stony Brook around 9 or so. I will think on this. Thanks for the encouragement, =Mark!

:smile:

When do you figure you'd need to be in bed by?  Seems if you are fairly local to the city you could still attend, duck out by 9pm or so and still have time for a decent sleep as well as 4 or more hours of eGulletizing...

I'm stuck on Long Island, 2hrs away. :sad:

It is true that I could probably catch a train back to Stony Brook around 9 or so. I will think on this. Thanks for the encouragement, =Mark!

:smile:

Yikes! I'm in the same boat, is a 1 1/2 to 2 hour jaunt from the city to my home down on the jersey shore, depending on how subway/train schedules work out. I don't have any pressing appointments on the following day though, except for maybe the lawnmower... :hmmm:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

OK, now I know I will be in town, can I come play, too? :unsure:

If so, how about a nice, fresh salad -- lettuces with oranges, cucumbers, red onions and olives -- and a piquant (think Indian lime pickles and chutney) dressing? Seems to me we need some GREENS here and something light..... and I could carry it on the subway in a big garbage bag! :biggrin:

Suzanne F., please PM with info, too!