• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Second NY Potluck Dinner

SobaAddict70

For the thread on the first NYC eGullet potluck dinner, click here.

In the spirit of that previous event, and also for the purpose of establishing an informal tradition, there will be an potluck dinner in lower Manhattan, held on

Saturday, July 12 around 5 pm.

Please feel free to post on this thread so that we can get a sense of logistics and level of interest. If you're interested in participating, please PM either Suzanne F or myself in order to reserve a spot.

The place we have in mind can hold 15 to 20 people, btw.

Thanks folks, and let the games begin! :smile:

Soba

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Ellen and I are almost-definites -- we just have to resolve some final details of our July schedule but we should be around, and if we're around we'll be there.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 2 weeks later...

Including everyone who has responded on this thread and HWOE (gotta include him, he lives here!), we're up to 14. More will be no problem, as long as people are willing to stand part of the time. :wink: We will NOT be able to use the communal roof deck, :sad: but that's probably safer. And easier -- no schleppping stuff up a steep flight of stairs.

I hope everyone is thinking about what to bring. We can coordinate that as the date gets closer.

We're thinking of doing a "make your own milkshake bar" for dessert. We could bring ice cream & milk & syrups and sherbet & seltzer (for a Sherbet Cooler) and our Hamilton Beach Drink Master. We would need room in the freezer and an outlet. How does that sound?

So, what do people plan on making?

As for me, I'm thinking along the lines of either a) pasta, or b) a fruit soup. But these are early thoughts, and I really haven't decided what I'm going to do.

I suppose a lot will be determined by whatever looks good at the market. I mean, you can only plan ahead so far in advance...

Post away! :smile:

Soba

We're thinking of doing a "make your own milkshake bar" for dessert. We could bring ice cream & milk & syrups and sherbet & seltzer (for a Sherbet Cooler) and our Hamilton Beach Drink Master. We would need room in the freezer and an outlet. How does that sound?

We did this at a BBQ at my digs a few weeks ago. A buddy came accross an old Multimixer x 5 shake maker at auction for 50.00. We bought a bunch of cheap plastic cups at Target and gave every one their own to "create" with.

tips

Keep a cup of warm water handy for clean up each shake

Chop any bananas/Strawberries you may use.

Vanilla ice cream with peanut butter & jelly is a must

Belmont,

Feel free to make anything you like. If you need direction, may I recommend doing something that's NOT a dessert, seeing as how people have suggested pies and a milkshake bar....but don't let that stop you from doing whatever you feel comfortable doing. :smile:

Regards,

Soba

Belmont, there's always the Greenmarket for hunting and gathering, if you're stuck.  :wub::wub: Otherwise, what Soba said.  :biggrin:

That is what I am looking forward to!!!!!!!!! I will keep you posted as to what I will be doing

Do I have to say pie again?

As often as you like! Just as long as you follow through. :laugh:

If people don't mind eating off of/with disposable plates and implements, I will provide all that; no need to schlep. I will also bring out every wineglass in the place, because using real glasses is non-negotiable. :hmmm:

Belmont, there's always the Greenmarket for hunting and gathering, if you're stuck.  :wub:   :wub:   Otherwise, what Soba said.  :biggrin:

That is what I am looking forward to!!!!!!!!! I will keep you posted as to what I will be doing

Well I have made it to NYC, and my cooking accomidations suck, but I did take my first ever walk through the Greenmarket today, how awesome is that!!!!!!!!! You guys are freakin' spoiled. Good stuff abounds.