• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Simple spring antipasti

Alberts

Some suggestions out there?

I went to the superwhites reception last weekend put on by the Portland Slowfoodies. One of the local restaurants, Mother's Bistro, had an appetizer:

steamed spring peas pureed with roasted garlic, a little salt, spread on crostini and topped with grilled spears of asparagus. Simple, colorful, wonderful.

Any other thoughts on simple spring antipasti using local ingredients?

I make little fritters from peas by processing them with bread crumbs, egg, parsely, shallot, and Parmigiano, then pan-frying.

I finally found some favas at the Wednesday market, so I'll be making crostini with favas and mint.

Other seasonal antipasti I like:

grilled shiitake caps

marinated leeks (got this from Navarre...poach the leeks in water with about 20% rice vinegar, drain, then marinate in good olive oil...they have a subtle acidity and sweetness)

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Any other thoughts on simple spring antipasti using local ingredients?

Anything with fava beans... Like Jim, I like to pulse them in the food processor with mint, evoo and a little garlic for spreading on crostini. But, really, you can hardly go wrong with simple blanched "peel and eat" fresh fava beans with a little sea salt and top quality evoo for dipping. Gotta watch out for that Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase enzyme deficiency, though... :wink:

--

Yes, I remember vaguely about "favism" from school. I don't remember the symptoms. I must have the disease though, if it is the uncontrollable desire to eat more and more favas.

Regarding the leeks...poach to about what texture? Still some crunch?

Fava bean, peas, tomato and pancetta

Prosciutto wrapped asparagus

pasta with arugula, tomato, red pepper and garlic and EVOO

Pasta with herbed ricotta sauce (chives, parsley, thyme, basil)

grilled endive or radicchio with EVOO and salt

getting hungry........

Regarding the leeks...poach to about what texture? Still some crunch? 

I cooked them until they were tender, probably about 15 minutes or so. John (at Navarre) says they benefit from a long soak in the olive oil, like several days, but I couldn't wait that long.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Great suggestions

Fresh in the market now are greens, spring onions, artichokes, mushrooms, carrots. I'm missing a few.

I was taught, last year, to use raw artichoke hearts cut as thin as possible tossed in EVOO and lemon juice, with salt. It was a strange, crunchy, and delicious dish. I haven't found much in the way of organic artichokes available around here, though.

Also, frittata with spring vegetables and parmigiana was great, but instead of cooking the herbs (taragon, basil, thyme) in with the eggs, the chef made a paste with EVOO and spread it on top of the cool frittata, called frittata d'estate. Both styles originate in Sicily.

Man, is there anything that isn't good fresh with extra virgin olive oil?

I was taught, last year, to use raw artichoke hearts cut as thin as possible tossed in EVOO and lemon juice, with salt. It was a strange, crunchy, and delicious dish.

Raw artichoke salad is also fabulous with flat leaf parsley and a few shavings of parmesan.

I remember what a revelation raw artichoke was when I was first shown this dish.

My chef at the time used the base of the leaves (the bit that is still tender) and shredded them finely. It's a great way to make the most of an artichoke.

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

• 3 years later...

thin slices of pumpernickel spread with sweet butter, covered with a layer of thinly sliced radishes and sprinkle with sea salt

or

finely dice radishes, mix with sweet butter, season with salt and a little lemon juice and minced chives and spread on crackers or small biscuits.

Any other spring pasta dish ideas out there?

I'm thinking of making a fresh pasta first course for Easter and would like to hear other's ideas. I like scahmhi's idea of fava beans, peas, tomato and pancetta...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Any other spring pasta dish ideas out there?

I'm thinking of making a fresh pasta first course for Easter and would like to hear other's ideas.  I like scahmhi's idea of fava beans, peas, tomato and pancetta...

Sorry but we`re still awaiting spring so greens are off, how about rabbit/deer or pigeon and if you`re really lucky a brown trout.

Hate to think how the Icelanders are doing :laugh:

Edited by Henry dV (log)

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.