• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cook's Tour

=Mark

Tony Bourdain visits Hanoi, where he celebrates the Vietnamese New Year. I think this is like the 3rd program of the series from his visit to Vietnam.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I don't know if there were 2 separate seasons or if TV Food Network just stopped broadcasting it for a few months this winter. If it was all filmed at once that would put it prior to the book a couple years ago.

=Mark

The Hanoi episode was filmed just a few months ago--end of January, early February. And there's another one--as yet unsold and unedited shot in the mountains with the White T'ai montagnards and in Halong Bay...Had a really really good time shooting them.

abourdain

Are these the episodes you mentioned shooting "guerilla" style after ditching your handlers?

=Mark

No..that was the Bangkok show--which ended up being only half a show. And most of Chiang Mai. Perfectly nice people from the govt press org--just way too eager to "help". No way it was going to be comfortable shooting in Pat Pong with any kind of official presence...

Hanoi was a delight to shoot--as our official liason to the Foreign Ministry--and local People's Committees-- is a dear dear friend who knows the show by now, knows us and let us do whatever we wanted whenever we wanted. We spent much of the time with him and his extended family--then turned off the cameras, flew to Saigon and were all reunited with Madame Ngoc (from season one), who he introduced us to and who sees him (Linh) as a son.We were all of us absolutely giddy the whole time back in Vietnam--and I think it shows.

abourdain

Wow, what a cool episode. I really loved the scene where you get that close up of Tony biting into that spring roll and you hear that "crunch" sound.

That dinner with Linh's family must of been a wonderful experience. And that honey-glazed chicken at Madame's Ngoc's restaurant looked fantastic -- and it looked like she was using Toast-R-Ovens to make it!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I can only hope that "personal blend" coffee wasn't Kopi Lewak, made from beans that have passed through the digestive system of the Indonesian palm civet.

PJ

Edited by pjs (log)

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

Went to Viet Nam in 1992 and remember the incredible coffee beans I purchased in the Central Market in Saigon. Ignoring the drying beans I saw on the roadways enroute to Dalat, I bought a kilo for practically nothing. They were quite black and very oily. But by far the best coffee I have ever had. Better than the Jamaican Blue Mountain, Kenya, Costa Rican (and other latin American venues) I have purchased abroad. I like my coffee black but the Vietnamese ice coffee with the condensed milk is a Sunday morning ritual. Thank God Chicago has an incredible 'Little Vietnam" where I can replenish my supply.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Went to Viet Nam in 1992 and remember the incredible coffee beans I purchased in the Central Market in Saigon.  Ignoring the drying beans I saw on the roadways enroute to Dalat, I bought a kilo for practically  nothing. They were quite black and very oily.  But by far the best coffee I have ever had.  Better than the Jamaican Blue Mountain, Kenya, Costa Rican (and other latin American venues) I have purchased abroad.  I like my coffee black but the Vietnamese ice coffee with the condensed milk is a Sunday morning ritual.  Thank God Chicago has an incredible 'Little Vietnam" where I can replenish my supply.

Is there a specific name for these beans? Any other identifying info? Thanks.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Went to Viet Nam in 1992 and remember the incredible coffee beans I purchased in the Central Market in Saigon.  Ignoring the drying beans I saw on the roadways enroute to Dalat, I bought a kilo for practically  nothing. They were quite black and very oily.  But by far the best coffee I have ever had.  Better than the Jamaican Blue Mountain, Kenya, Costa Rican (and other latin American venues) I have purchased abroad.  I like my coffee black but the Vietnamese ice coffee with the condensed milk is a Sunday morning ritual.  Thank God Chicago has an incredible 'Little Vietnam" where I can replenish my supply.

Hey, a fellow chicagoan here. Where is "Little Vietnam" ? I also second Hollywood's request. Thanks.

Hey, a fellow chicagoan here.  Where is "Little Vietnam" ? I also second Hollywood's request.  Thanks.

I don’t think there is such a place per se but north of Irving Park road around Clark and over towards Broadway has a good concentration of places.

Living hard will take its toll...

Went to Viet Nam in 1992 and remember the incredible coffee beans I purchased in the Central Market in Saigon.  Ignoring the drying beans I saw on the roadways enroute to Dalat, I bought a kilo for practically  nothing. They were quite black and very oily.  But by far the best coffee I have ever had.  Better than the Jamaican Blue Mountain, Kenya, Costa Rican (and other latin American venues) I have purchased abroad.  I like my coffee black but the Vietnamese ice coffee with the condensed milk is a Sunday morning ritual. Thank God Chicago has an incredible 'Little Vietnam" where I can replenish my supply.

Hey, a fellow chicagoan here. Where is "Little Vietnam" ? I also second Hollywood's request. Thanks.

You're close WHT.

Little Vietnam, also known as "New Chinatown", is on Argyle Street (5000 N), at the intersection of Broadway. There also several Thai places there.

Edit: Craig and I posted at the same time

Edited by guajolote (log)

Just wish I could get it here in Paris...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

• 3 weeks later...

Tony I think every time you reply it should show that picture of you in that goddam effing camofllauge shirt. I just call you "Camoflauge" now like the Stan Ridgway song.

Oh by the way John Waters is always very gracious in referring to you, I think he likes that you referred to us Baltimorons as Appalachians tho I cannot figure out how you weren't able to score drugs in this town.

Between your stories of Provincetown and JW's I am finally going there soon.

Last night wasn't Ptown, was it?  Can't that network get another fucking night to show CT?

nope - repeat of NOLA which had me laughing as much as the first time.

actually went on a bayou tour for our third anniversary and maybe the reason the alligators are said to taste like chicken is because the tour operators call the gators to the boats then feed them chicken....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites