• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chefs jackets/knives

pastramionrye

I can see by reading those older threads, this topic's been done and then some, but i wasn't around then! :raz: ...so i'll take this opportunity to profess my undying love for the Wusthof "Culinar" line...beautiful look, exquisite balance, and i love the way the metal handle gets warm in your hand while you use it - feels like just another part of your body. Although the metal handle is smooth, i've never had any problem with it "slipping", and i've never dropped it because my hands were wet. It's quite hefty, but that's good - the weight does a lot of the work for me.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Chefwear is a good source, great customer service and fast embroidery time. You can use CWS's rep, but if for any reasonn they are not in your area, the website and caltalogs work well, too. http://www.chefwear.com/

They also have the cutest kids wear, and the chef pants are great loungewear out of the kitchen. My kids did some "modeling" for them way back when, and got the greatest mini aprons and toques and such.

Chefwear was a total bitch to use for me. I ordered about 20 pairs of pants and 30 black show jackets for our dining room staff, first they sent us the wrong ones, and then they blew us off. I hope that a representative from Chefwear reads this, because they lost over $1000 on that order, and countless other dollars by their jackassery in handling my order.

They just sat there and told me that they didn't have any, so they gave me the next closest model jacket. Even though it was an upgrade, it still didn't match what we needed, corded reversible black show. DOn't buy from Chefwear if you can help it.

another vote for the green-handled Italian jobbies: Sanelli. Inexpensive, good balance, that great rubber grip, and good edge. And inexpensive, did I mention that? And clearly unlike anyone else's knives ("Oh, sorry, I thought that was MY 10" Messermeister/Wustoff/Global")

Bragard Egyptian cotton? :wub::wub::wub: Laundry bills? :angry::angry::angry:

Oraklet : "Clunk"???  Please explain that!

Thanks!

sharpie, sorry for taking so long in answering.

"klunk" is the sound of a knife that has a "hollowed" edge, or is too straight-edged near the bolster, so that i't doesn't roll over the edge like wusthofs or globals do. it's a common problem with the new sabatiers.

the two macs i've tried were new ones demonstrated in a store.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

I would go with the inexpensive knives for work and keep the nice MAC's for home. I have found that some restaurant supply houses and some kitchen shops now carry chef's coats. Go in and try on some and buy the one that fits you best. Even Williams-Sonoma carries chefs coats. I would not buy them there, but they do have them.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I would go with the inexpensive knives for work and keep the nice MAC's for home. I have found that some restaurant supply houses and some kitchen shops now carry chef's coats.  Go in and try on some and buy the one that fits you best.  Even Williams-Sonoma carries chefs coats.  I would not buy them there, but they do have them.

I totally echo this post. Why do you need Macs? You don't. They're cool as hell but kitchens are not Milanese runways, you don't have to have cool knives. In fact, I think it's cooler to own cheap beat up knives that can hold an edge than a set of Nobu autographed Voyagers. Cooking professionally ain't about looking cool. That's the chef's job--not that I look cool. I don't. I wear plastic buttoned short sleeved coats, faded ChefWear jackets and totally look down on the whole monogrammed, piped cuffs, pleated pants thing. You see a chef wearing that stuff he doesn't plan on doing a lick of cooking--unless he's Thomas Keller--who has proven that kitchen grime doesn't exist in his sphere of influence. Cooking is about the food...I do keep a heavily starched coat--with my name on it--for walks in the dining room.....

Edited by Chef/Writer Spencer (log)

i didnt want to come across as elitist...

i have a decent set of german knives that i keep sharp to the point that everyone else wants to borrow my knives...

but like i said, people want to buy me gifts...and more specifically my aunt wanted to buy me knives...therefore i thought i would look into some decent knives...not to look cool, but if someone wanted to buy me knives; why buy ones that are worse than the ones i got now...

as for the jackets, all i want are some cotton jackets, some short sleeved some long...i like my $15 checkered pants, and my white, plastic button chef coats (ideally cotton, since my skin is breaking out from the polyester)...i can't deal with the knot buttons, when i try to button it up lefty, i cant do it.

the only reason i bought up bragarde was my old chef had them, i didnt realize if they were expensive or not; just know they looked copmfortable, and i couldnt find any info on them.

so to recap....i am not an elitist....i work in a nice, fine dining restaurant....and all i want are sharp knives and cotton jackets...

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

i didnt want to come across as elitist......so to recap....i am not an elitist....i work in a nice, fine dining restaurant....and all i want are sharp knives and cotton jackets...

In case you do feel likebeing an elitist check out this site for some super expensive and sweet japanese knives, you just can't beat the japanese edges sooooo sharp makes cutting anything feel like soft butter :blush: .. nenox is used by Morimoto and Sakai on Iron Chef.

http://www.japanese-knife.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=HNE

also check out knifemerchant.com for better pricing in general..

Chefwear is a good source, great customer service and fast embroidery time. You can use CWS's rep, but if for any reasonn they are not in your area, the website and caltalogs work well, too. http://www.chefwear.com/

They also have the cutest kids wear, and the chef pants are great loungewear out of the kitchen. My kids did some "modeling" for them way back when, and got the greatest mini aprons and toques and such.

Chefwear was a total bitch to use for me. I ordered about 20 pairs of pants and 30 black show jackets for our dining room staff, first they sent us the wrong ones, and then they blew us off. I hope that a representative from Chefwear reads this, because they lost over $1000 on that order, and countless other dollars by their jackassery in handling my order.

They just sat there and told me that they didn't have any, so they gave me the next closest model jacket. Even though it was an upgrade, it still didn't match what we needed, corded reversible black show. DOn't buy from Chefwear if you can help it.

hmm...perhaps I was presumtuous in my praise..I use them about twice a year, a 3-400 order each time..I buy teachers gifts, aprons, loungewear, and for every 5 year old on my gift list, a cool hat/apron/pant combo and the Little Tykes kitchen. ( I don't order the kitchen from them!) However, I should amend my praise to specify that for my home needs, in smaller quantities, they have always been great. I can imagine its very frustrating if you are purchasing on a professional level and have an experience like you had.

If you're working in a busy professional kitchen, the Forschners or those green-handled Italian jobbies are generally the way to go -- that way you don't have to be worried that they'll get "borrowed," damaged, etc., because they only cost twenty bucks.

there's one problem with those knives: the handles are so "deep" that your knuckles will hit the cutting board when chopping.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

i'm not worried about how i cook... i can control that, and i do pretty well...

i am worried about the bumbs on my shoulders and back due to the polyester jackets.

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.