• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chefs jackets/knives

pastramionrye

looking to purchase some 100% cotton chef jackets, as the ones i wear at my present restaurant are not good for my skin (so says my girlfriend); anyone have a suggestion of a brand they use?

also, knives...looked at the usual suspects (ala wusthof and henckel and global..) what do you all prefer in terms of knives for use in the restaurant business? any other brands i should look at?

thank you very much in advance.

jonathan

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

Unfourtanetly I dont have any working restaurant experience, but have seen many globals in commercial kitchens as well as have heard many raves from cooks about them. You may or may not like the handle design though so try working with one.

Myself, I have a Mac chef's knife and love it. It holds an edge forever (slightly harder steel than global) and also has a steep edge like the global, but it is a european edge that has the bevel on both sides instead of the one like a Global. They can be a bit more expensive though, but you might want to check them out.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

the jackets do bother me as well...and i have some gifts coming my way, and my new restaurant wont be supplying chef jackets, so i thought it a great time to get a few 100% cotton.

thanks spencer...that would be helpful...

mac knives? i think i have heard of them...the globals i am not a huge fan of...i guess i will check out the mac...and try to compare them with the wusthof grand prix

Chefwear is a good source, great customer service and fast embroidery time. You can use CWS's rep, but if for any reasonn they are not in your area, the website and caltalogs work well, too. http://www.chefwear.com/

They also have the cutest kids wear, and the chef pants are great loungewear out of the kitchen. My kids did some "modeling" for them way back when, and got the greatest mini aprons and toques and such.

MAC is a good choice for knives...the edge lasts forever and they are well balanced, have a nice feel (resin impregnated wood handles, bolsters on the upper series). I love my MACs (I also have Wusthof, Global and Henckels) but MAC is my favourite Chef's knife.

To clarify, Chefwear.com and Chefworks.com are two different companies. You can order from either online and both sell good products. Sometimes one has a slightly better design than the other, for example I prefer the baggy pants fish pattern from Chefworks to the one from Chefwear.

Remember that you get seriously penalized for buying small quantities from these places. If you think you'll ever need six of something, buy them all at once. The embroidery costs really add up too.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

do they even sell mac knives around washington, dc?

i can't purchase one without holdiong it first...

anyone hear of a chef jacket company called "brigarde" or something of that nature...?

If you're working in a busy professional kitchen, the Forschners or those green-handled Italian jobbies are generally the way to go -- that way you don't have to be worried that they'll get "borrowed," damaged, etc., because they only cost twenty bucks.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Bragard?  Mac?  You don't need all of that fancy shit.  Get you a set of Forschner's and a ChefWear or ChefWorks cotton coat and go.  What's with all of this elitist product pandering.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I own 80% of MAC Knife Int.

:blink::raz:

Cool, then if I schmooze you I get Forschner prices?

Bragard?  Mac?  You don't need all of that fancy shit.  Get you a set of Forschner's and a ChefWear or ChefWorks cotton coat and go.  What's with all of this elitist product pandering.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I own 80% of MAC Knife Int.

:blink::raz:

Cool, then if I schmooze you I get Forschner prices?

I think that you'd need to use the word "schmooze" in a Clinton-intern-like sense.