• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonald's Sues Critic

Jinmyo

In a desperate measure to recoup some of their losses as their empire tumbles into the trash compactor, McDonald's is suing a critic who didn't like their french fries. For 15.3 million pounds.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

It makes a smacking sound like a hand against an obese belly.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

In a desperate measure to recoup some of their losses as their empire tumbles into the trash compactor, McDonald's is suing a critic who didn't like their french fries. For 15.3 million pounds.

This smacks of a PR stunt.

Not a very good one unless it is on behalf of Edoardo Raspelli, the critic. The underdog almost always comes out on top. Especially a respected Italian food writer being trounced upon by the ultimate American Corporation.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

That's assuming he and whatever publication he works for don't lose the lawsuit and go bankrupt. The problem with defamation law outside the US is that you can actually succeed with lawsuits that here would be immediately dismissed as frivolous. Sort of how we are to negligence, products liability, etc., that's how the rest of the world is with respect to defamation.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

That's assuming he and whatever publication he works for don't lose the lawsuit and go bankrupt. The problem with defamation law outside the US is that you can actually succeed with lawsuits that here would be immediately dismissed as frivolous. Sort of how we are to negligence, products liability, etc., that's how the rest of the world is with respect to defamation.

On behalf of the rest of the world I am bringing suit for defamation against Steven Shaw for defaming the rest of the world as "frivolous" and that we are like how the U.S.A. in regards to negligence, products liability, etc. by which he clearly implies "stark raving" but would rather say "bat shit." This cannot stand, Mr. Shaw. Messers Dewie, Cheatem & Howe, barristers, will be in touch with your lawyer shortly. Oh, I forgot. You are your lawyer. See you in court. Bring a wig.

On behalf of the rest of the world I am bringing suit for defamation against Steven Shaw for defaming the rest of the world as "frivolous" and that we are like how the U.S.A. in regards to negligence, products liability, etc. by which he clearly implies "stark raving" but would rather say "bat shit."

Implies nothing. The innuendo was clearly defamatory, but don't you folks have enough on your plate with the world press constantly harping on SARS and mad cow?

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I say they can deal with it. I don't sue McDonalds every time my dumb ass doesn't learn its lesson and ventures into their drive thru, nor do I bitch and moan everytime the Coke lacks carbonation. I bet the French are behind it all!

(not really)

TCD

Timothy C. Davis

Charlotte, NC

timothycdavis@earthlink.net

www.themoodyfoodie.com

www.cln.com

www.southernfoodways.com

On behalf of the rest of the world I am bringing suit for defamation against Steven Shaw for defaming the rest of the world as "frivolous" and that we are like how the U.S.A. in regards to negligence, products liability, etc. by which he clearly implies "stark raving" but would rather say "bat shit."

Implies nothing. The innuendo was clearly defamatory, but don't you folks have enough on your plate with the world press constantly harping on SARS and mad cow?

Called as a witness.

I don't think McDonald's and its legal advisers are dumb enough to sue a food critic and/or his publication out of existence. What a suit like this does is make just about everyone think twice before publishing stuff critical of the Golden Arches and its emanations. It also tells that world that McDonald's stands behind the quality of its food, such as it is. Far more effective than putting someone out of business, and far more impact, for that matter, than most of its recent advertising campaigns. But you are right about the US, they won't try it there.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

It also tells that world that McDonald's stands behind the quality of its food, such as it is.

I stand far away and upwind.

I don't think McDonald's and its legal advisers are dumb enough to sue a food critic and/or his publication out of existence. What a suit like this does is make just about everyone think twice before publishing stuff critical of  the Golden Arches and its emanations. It also tells that world that McDonald's stands behind the quality of its food, such as it is.  Far more effective than putting someone out of business, and far more impact, for that matter, than most of its recent advertising campaigns. But you are right about the US, they won't try it there.

Right. They get the headline. Then they settle the case. Maybe even get the critic to eat a few of his words.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

They are also served (billions and billions) who only stand upwind.

That should be their new advertising campaign. You're a genius.*

*Caveat: I think a cat I know that can pick up a ball with its paw and put it in its mouth is a genius too.

Actually, in comparative defense of the rest of the world, I should add that the mega-food corporations have managed to get some pretty ridiculous legislation -- I think they call it "veggie libel" or something -- implemented, especially at the US state level. I assume these laws would get thrown out in a second if reviewed by a court that takes its constitutional mandate seriously, but the laws are nonetheless used to intimidate.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

http://archive.aclu.org/news/n012298a.html -- veggie libel laws

In the last few years, at least 13 states, including Texas, have enacted litigation, also known as "food disparagement laws," that makes it easier for growers and ranchers to recover damages from anyone who alleges health risks associated with their product.

I think our friends at the ACLU meant legislation, not litigation, but whatever. Worth checking out the link.

Actually, in comparative defense of the rest of the world, I should add that the mega-food corporations have managed to get some pretty ridiculous legislation -- I think they call it "veggie libel" or something -- implemented, especially at the US state level. I assume these laws would get thrown out in a second if reviewed by a court that takes its constitutional mandate seriously, but the laws are nonetheless used to intimidate.

That whole cattlemen vs. Oprah case kind of put an end to that tactic, no? Or did that just teach them to avoid going after deep-pocketed media-savvy defendents who know how to turn cases like this into massive positve publicity?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

I don't know of any successful veggie-libel suits, but I'm sure there are still plenty of threats bandied about. I know the attempt to repeal the law in Texas was not successful. And you've got to hand it to Oprah for coming up with the most ridiculous victory speech in the history of the universe: "Free speech not only lives it rocks."

It makes a smacking sound like a hand against an obese belly.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Do they say, "Can I super-size that for you"?