• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Buffalo-Style Chicken Wings in NYC

Fat Guy

Continuing along the same lines as our discussion of THE BEST: Creamed Spinach and THE BEST: Fries . . .

I'm going to have to agree with Howie and say the Atomic Wings chain does the best job on Buffalo-style chicken wings in NYC. Honorable mention to Brother Jimmy's. In both cases, order them "extra, extra crispy," because nobody in NYC seems to understand the proper level of doneness for wings so without this special instruction you'll invariably get flabby wings.

As on the North Jersey wings thread, breaded wings need not apply. Sure, they can be tasty, but they're not the same food as Buffalo-style wings.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'm not sure if they belong in any discussion of "the best", but I really enjoyed the wings at Molly's (23rd and 3rd).

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Not in NYC, but very good Buffalo style wings (with abpot 50 different sauces) is Planet Wings on RT 59 in Spring Valley NY. They have other locations in Rockland and Orange Cos.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I would like to add for your consideration Bonnies Grill on Fifth Ave in Park Slope.

Add me to the list of Bonnies true believers. Their wings are deep fried and then shaken in spices - no gloppy sauce.

Order the "medium" heat level - the "hot" wings become overwhelming after 2 or 3 pieces (not that it stopped me.) The place is legendary in Park Slope, and for once the reputation is deserved.

I usually go with a friend, split a large order of the wings, and then finish with one of their great burgers. Brooklyn Lager is on tap plus a "guest" beer, along with a number of excellent bottled beers.

Bring a big appetite.

Other than Atomic and Brother Jimmies, what options do you have? All the others seems to do nothing more than thaw out a bag of frozen "buffalo wings", pop them in the microwave and pour some watered-down hot sauce on them.

I guess Pluck U ( http://www.pluckuny.com/ ) is an option, and not bad. Heartland Brewery? Unfortunately Entourage closed -- that was the former best. Where else?

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

john street bar and grill has some good wings.. somehow, they wind up with an inordinate number of drumstick pieces which i prefer.. really good, handmade three dollar burgers on buns freshly baked and delivered in the morning.. bt that's talk for another message..

I guess Pluck U ( http://www.pluckuny.com/ ) is an option, and not bad. Heartland Brewery? Unfortunately Entourage closed -- that was the former best. Where else?

I forgot about them. But on the whole, discussing the best wings in NY is like discussing the best restaurant in San Francisco. There's two, maybe three definites (Danko, Fifth Floor, Fleur d' Lys), and a bunch of "but wait, what about"s.

can i get a ruling on this map of manhattan? :blink:

map.jpg

Given that map and a million years, I doubt I'd find a single Pluck U location.

chicken wings are supposed to be cut off of a chicken and DISCARDED :smile: jeeze

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Loced the Wings at Down the Hatch, but I think those were an Atomic Franchise, so I guess I'm voting for Atomic.

Can I add a bit of a twist to the thread?

How about best "boneless" Buffalo Wings in NYC. I'd have to vote for Senior Swanky's Lazy Guy wings, around 72nd street on the west side. Theres one in the village too but I've never been. Theres a great place in the Short Hills Mall in NJ too (Joes american Bar and Grill) if you are ever in there.

Anyone know any others?

MSK

• 7 months later...

At some club meeting a couple months ago, I had wings from a kosher restaurant, Dougie's BBQ. I thought they were absolutely amazing--the first time I had them, they were covered in a spicy, vinegar-y wing sauce. Thick, juicy, a great tasting batter, and lots o'meat.

I had them again tonight as take-out. I didn't know whether or not they would come covered in that sauce again (they didn't, but one can order the sauce on the side). My sister bought a bottle of blue cheese dressing (*I think kosher laws prohibit the combo of blue cheese and chicken, but we're not Jewish), but for real--these wings didn't need any accompaniment at all. The batter was DELICIOUS, and there was a ton of meat. I'm not sure if they were marinated, but it was like eating mini-honey fried chicken.

Incredible wings on the Upper West Side--thank God!! :smile:

*Edited because after reading that article on kosher laws in the LA Times, I wasn't sure about my own interpretation on kosher laws, and didn't want to cause any offense to people who know more stuff than me :unsure:

Edited by Pumpkin Lover (log)

I had no idea there was an Atomic Wings in Manhattan :shock: ....now I must have some...

Oops....edited to say it seems I'm confused about Atomic Wings. I had wings at a chain in Dallas called "Atomic Wings", I believe, and thought this was the same chain. From the website, that does not appear to be the case.

Anyway, I have had consistently good Buffalo wings at Blondie's (UWS--79th St. between B'way and Amsterdam, and there's an UES location, but I forget exactly where it is--1st or 2nd Ave. in the low 90's), and they offer many different levels of "heat" options. For that extra infusion of grease, their cottage fries (accompanied by a "cheddar cheese" sauce the consistency of microwaved Velveeta) are pretty kick-ass, too!

I was told at some point, by what I remember to be a reliable source but now cannot recall what the source was, that Mudville 9 on Chambers St. had good wings. Can anyone with firsthand experience confirm or deny?

Edited to add: Brother Jimmy's food is tasty, but their wings are not my idea of good Buffalo wings.

Edited by Eric_Malson (log)

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

I've never had the wings at Bro Jimmys..must try and diversify from my standard

rib tip munching ways. I have always liked the wings at the Bear Bar on 2nd ave and 92nd though.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

I had no idea there was an Atomic Wings in Manhattan :shock: ....now I must have some...

Oops....edited to say it seems I'm confused about Atomic Wings. I had wings at a chain in Dallas called "Atomic Wings", I believe, and thought this was the same chain. From the website, that does not appear to be the case.

Anyway, I have had consistently good Buffalo wings at Blondie's (UWS--79th St. between B'way and Amsterdam, and there's an UES location, but I forget exactly where it is--1st or 2nd Ave. in the low 90's), and they offer many different levels of "heat" options. For that extra infusion of grease, their cottage fries (accompanied by a "cheddar cheese" sauce the consistency of microwaved Velveeta) are pretty kick-ass, too!

I was told at some point, by what I remember to be a reliable source but now cannot recall what the source was, that Mudville 9 on Chambers St. had good wings. Can anyone with firsthand experience confirm or deny?

Edited to add: Brother Jimmy's food is tasty, but their wings are not my idea of good Buffalo wings.

I believe Atomic Wings has locations in a number of bars including Blondies and down the hatch....therefore you have been in fact eating atomic wings all along