• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Diggity Dog ~ Hot dog fun figures!

Well, well. Look what a fellow foodie friend located! I find this site fascinating on many levels. It shows the extent to which the Japanese dote on their young. I think that's so sweet.

http://www.nipponham.co.jp/winny/kazari/

Of course on a foodie level, this is hysterical. Imagine hosting a fun party, and on the table is a centerpiece of hot dog pigs walking around a a pen filled with mustard! Or perhaps a couple of pigs are ... "making bacon". LOL

I am a bit worried about safety and smaller children. since these figures are held together with matchsticks/toothpicks.

I fixed your URL...

Don't you think carving up hot dogs into figurines has obscene overtones?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Is this strange?

I do this all the time, only the easy ones though, tulips, rabbits and the most common - the octopus.

I wonder why they didn't have a picture of the octopus?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Some more cool things the Japanese use to make their children's meals more interesting:

http://www.yoppi.ne.jp/obento/be_goods1.htm

I actually have the stapler like thing that cuts out shapes with the nori (hearts, stars, flowers) and I almost bought the egg press last week!

Is this strange?

Yes, it's very strange. :wink: I've never seen it. But, there are shapes of spaghettios noodles ( Find Waldo, Blue's clues) and perdue chicken nuggets in stars and moons. I guess that's differnet b/c they are manufactured shapes, not created ones.. My mom used to make me Mickey mouse pancakes.. boy, do times change. It's a hotdog, how hard can it be to get a kid to eat a hotdog? :laugh:

No sandwiches, chips and juice boxes for Japanese kid's lunches, the following are quite typical kindergarten lunches:

http://www.ae.wakwak.com/~harumi/bento.html

I have to make one for my daughter today, I picked a kindergarten that has kyushoku (catered lunch) so I don't have to do it every day, only once a week!

the last link that torakris put in this thread--oh my goodness, i was laughing out loud at the cute winking monkey to the right of the top row.

sooo charming!

gus :biggrin:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Gah. Kawaii.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I  actually have the stapler like thing that cuts out shapes with the nori (hearts, stars, flowers) and I almost bought the egg press last week!

hahaha...those are cute! I really like the egg molds. Think they would poach an egg into that shape? hahaha

This thread reminds me of the time I wanted a special bowl of malto-meal. I had become fascinated with the picture on the box. The funny thing was I didn't realize that malto-meal was essentially a fine grain type product that really isn't sweet unless you add sweetners to it.

I was expecting something that tasted like creamy milk chocolate icing with a knob of butter on it, and mom tried desparately to make the malto-meal look LIKE the box. But, I'd taste test it....and then throw a tantrum!! Oh, was I spoiled.

She must have tried two more times....and I was too young to tell her what was missing or lacking....

I think later in the day, I finally explained why I was so disappointed, then we both had a good laugh.

I  actually have the stapler like thing that cuts out shapes with the nori (hearts, stars, flowers) and I almost bought the egg press last week!

hahaha...those are cute! I really like the egg molds. Think they would poach an egg into that shape? hahaha

good laugh.

The egg presses are really neat, you hard boil an egg stick it inside, push, and voila! star shaped egg. :biggrin:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The Octodog was number #1 in Dave Barry's holiday gift guide.  :laugh:

Just as it should have been! Here is the link:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/livin...ide/7423720.htm

And another food related item from the Dave Barry Gift Guide, the Food Suit. It would be right at the top of my Christmas wish list, except that the urine draining catheter appears to be for men only. Will us women never achieve equality?

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/livin...ide/7423809.htm

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

• 1 year later...

torakris said:

The egg presses are really neat, you hard boil an egg stick it inside, push, and voila! star shaped egg. :biggrin:

more manipulation of food into kawaii onigiri (cute rice balls): :biggrin:

click here...

Edited by gus_tatory (log)

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

here are some more cute bentos:

http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/miikachan/

you need to scroll to the middle

Error message for this link and the previous one. Help please. :smile:

I'm interested in more bento box ideas for my kids.

here are some more scroll down just a bit

and more click on any other names at the left

i want to have a kid so i can make all this stuff! i do have heart shaped egg poaching cups. my husband gets heart eggs when we have "canadian breakfast".

i have to comment that those little hot dogs are SO popular! adults as well as kids seem to have an amazing appetite for them. i have never been to a home party or bbq party that did not have mini-dogs. :raz:

the really red coloured ones freak me out. :unsure:

"Thy food shall be thy medicine" -Hippocrates

here are some more scroll down just a bit

and more click on any other names at the left

Cute!!! Funny thing is, my daughter recognized most of the cartoon and anime characters in the second link. :biggrin: Japanese characters are big in Hawaii.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs